[Nokia 2520] should i?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello!

I see Nokia 2520s are on sale for $299 at a Microsoft store.

Should I buy one?

I only will use it with WiFi 📶 as a just for home use.

Mostly browsing.

Or would I be better off buying something else?

I'm ok with RT.

Opinions from 2520 users?

phaapane

May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's a pretty solid device, so why not? $299 doesn't sound bad, especially if you're not an iPad ******. Surface 2 rt is pretty similar device to 2520 spec- and price wise, so you might want to check that one too before making a decision. It doesn't have 3g/4g but you mentioned that you don't need it, so it really doesn't matter. :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For that price, I wouldn't find the 2520 particularly compelling, considering you could find other tablets for less.

For general web browsing, most tablets will suffice. (heck, my dad is happy with a last-gen Lenovo IdeaPad Lynx with a lower performance CloverTrail Atom) The Surface 2 had a $200 sale or so recently. There are relatively solid Atom tablets for the same price area, although they might not have quite the same fit and finish as the Surface/Lumia. (as well as an official keyboard option)
8 inch tablets are available if you so desire.

Off the top of my head, similar tablets worth looking at:
ASUS Transformer Book T100
Microsoft Surface 2 (especially)
Surface RT/1 (performance is best described as OK, but sometimes "ehhhh")
Dell Latitude 10 and other older tablets.

Dantunano

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I?m also considering to get one, here in Spain you can find one for 260€. I already had a Surface RT 1 with 64GBs and Win8.1RT wasn?t that bad, but not having a SIM tray annoyed me.

My only concern is... Will Lumia 2520 get Windows 10 when available? Who is now giving support for this model, Nokia or MS? If not, having a Surface 2 would be a safer bet (but again, I can't live without 3G or 4G connectivity!)

Dantunano

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Darkoman, but Woot doesn't ship outside of the United States, neither has stock at this moment.

By the same reason I?m not considering the Surface 2 LTE (AT&T locked with whatever LTE bands you use in the USA, warranty issues and hefty price...). Here we get full 2 years warranty if buying a national seller.

eomes

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm also wondering if it's worth getting the 2520 at this point. I prefer it to Surface 2 because of the SIM tray as well. Also it seems much nicer to be held in hand which is how I would be using it. The main concern of mine is if it's going to support Windows 10 and continue to receive firmware support.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Turns out I cannot get it. They will not shop it to a US address if the credit card billing address is not in the US. Failed with PayPal as well.

Ended up getting an HP stream 7 for $75, with a year subscription to office 365. Why not?

Jethro Bodine

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Since you said you don't need LTE and would only use WI-FI, I cannot recommend the 2520 as an optimal device for the needs you specify. Stick to an honest-to-goodness Windows 8.1 tablet, not an RT. There are too many limitations with the 2520 to justify if if you aren't planning to use it with your cellular data plan.

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
yes I have an 2520 - and I use mine for LTE which is great, but for general wifi only browsing? then stick with the other suggestions for full 8.1 at this point. However, the 2520 has still held its own in terms of specs and you do you get full 1080p HD and a nice bright screen. I also have a 64 GB microsd card and a bluetooth mouse.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon