RT or not to RT

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
So I've just sold my Xperia Tablet Z2 and I'm looking for a replacement. I'm an iPhone user and have a macbook air which is also the house computer.

Due to travelling a lot and I mean a lot... I was thinking of picking up a windows tablet with full keyboard. I was set on some sort of Surface but the Nokia 2520 also popped in my searches. Now do I get an RT tablet or not. It's only going to be used for watching films/tv seasons and office work...

I know RT is dead but is it still supported at all by Microsoft?

Thanks for your advice in advance...

Last edited:

JD19

Mar 21, 2017
Visit site
RT still gets patches from MS. A lot of my apps, whether MS or not, still get updates. It comes with MS Office and I use that a lot. I do not use Office 365 on anything because the older versions of MS Office are so much better when it comes to grammar and stylistics.

The main concern I see is how you are going to watch films/tv shows. There is Netflix/Hulu apps. You can also use Internet Explorer to use these as well. There is not an HBO Now app. The website probably works, but I do not know. If you watch from Internet Explorer, things mostly work. It blocks a lot of flash content and there isn't much in the way of a work around. If you stick with major outlets, ABC, NBC, etc. there aren't any issue.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't go RT since it's a dead-end for the most part. You'll continue getting security updates in the short-term but a full Windows 8.1/10 tablet would be a lot better deal.

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Like I said I have a macbook which is my main computer. I like the idea of having the ability to do office tasks which is the majority of my work. As far as watching films/tv I was referring to watching things that I've ripped and downloaded. So either plugging in a separate hdd or using a micro sd card.

As I said I'd be using office and adobe reader for the majority of work. I don't think I'm going to need a full blown windows 8/10 experience.

Security updates were my major concern.

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I bought an rt for my wife because she just uses web and email. It was ok. But at the end of last year, I got her a surface pro 4. It was the lowest processor model m3. It is so much faster and easier to use and has Windows hello, etc. I would not recommend rt.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I still get a LOT of use out of my Nokia 2520. Beast of a tablet hardware wise. Massive battery time and charges stupid fast. And Office 2013 for life. Yayz.

IF you can find a nice one with good battery, I think it will meet your use scenario. I don't have the keyboard, just get a decent Bluetooth keyboard and you'll be golden.

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Managed to get my hands on a Surface pro 2 256gb with 8gb ram. Arriving next week. Hopefully that will sort out all my needs. Comes with a type cover 2. Quick question for those who have replied... Is a wedge mouse a worthy investment?

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is a wedge mouse a worthy investment?

I was going to suggest the HP envy x2 surface pro knockoff. they come up every so often, and has built in LTE through verizon. but...

I have a surface pro 4, and I got the surface arc mouse, and like it, but rarely use it. I use the touchscreen or the trackpad more often then not...

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Managed to get my hands on a Surface pro 2 256gb with 8gb ram. Arriving next week. Hopefully that will sort out all my needs. Comes with a type cover 2. Quick question for those who have replied... Is a wedge mouse a worthy investment?

It's very compact and sleek, but if you use right-click moderately or scroll a lot, I highly recommend a more traditional mouse with separate buttons and a scroll wheel.

The Wedge is attractive, but if you play games, the Wedge is NOT for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss