lumia 520 internet connectivity prob

Amith Kamal

May 15, 2013
Visit site
i recently bought lumia 520... i am facing problem with the internet connectivity. i was using nokia e 72 before with a 3g connection. i was able to browse and download with a great speed. but now i am not getting the same speed as before. iam using the same sim card with 3g support.
in my settings, it is in 3g mode... but still iam not getting the speed. :( please help!:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey Amith! Welcome to WPCentral. It would help to know a little bit more - you say your E72 was faster on 3G but were they both on the same network? What network are you on now? Do you notice the speeds are faster or slower in certain places?

It might help to know exactly the kind of speed drop we're talking about here. Try installing this app: Speedtest.net | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) and getting an exact figure. Try it again if you notice the data is being quicker at all and we can try to narrow down the problem.

Amith Kamal

May 15, 2013
Visit site
thankyou Muessig! :) i was telling about the sim provider,... BSNL... they are providing a 3g network here.. the normal 2g speed here is 15 KBps.. if it is a 3g network , i ll be able to get 30KBps on a normal 2g recharge... i used to get 30 KBps speed in e 72... but now , when i put my sim on lumia 520.., it is tooo slow!! the speed is almost same everywhere...!! i cant even download files from the store... its getting cancelled continuously!! moreover when i does internet sharing to my laptop, it will get connected for a few seconds and will get disconnected after that... i never opened a website with this mobile on my laptop!!! :(

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I had a little look around the internet and quite a few people on BSNL are complaining their speeds used to be higher (like 4MB) but now only get 8-30kbps (BSNL 3G Data Card, Very Slow Internet Speed | Answers Jumangs is one example). It seems if you go over your data they cap your speed quite harshly but some people are complaining of everyday (not capped) speeds too. I suggest contacting BSNL and asking them.

Amith Kamal

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot muessig... :) I will do that... Need to know one more thing.. Can i get a software for connecting to internet to pc? Internet sharing is not so effective . I downloaded win mobile app for desktop,but i could not c any options for connecting it to Internet.. The only thing i could do is syncin my photos and videos..

Amith Kamal

May 15, 2013
Visit site
i have tried tethering before. but could not connect it either :/ may be because of the poor internet connection... anyways i am going to test this with another sim card.

anna liza

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi.. i have a problem with my fone nokia lumia 520 i try to used the internet sharing to my sisters blackberry and you know whatt it doesn't work. :( why?

anna liza

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
my nokia lumia 520 internet sharing doesnt work why? i tried to my sisters fone blackberry i connect it high signal but i think its just a j0ke. it doesnt work why?

sanjayagra

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
hi.. i have a problem in my phone lumia 520...few days before i have a nokia e 52 i used nokia pc suite in my pc and connect internet in my pc by using e 52 by pc suite but now i have lumia 520 a feature is in go to setting- internet sharing when i switched on there was a problem its not worked please help me ..........

paranoiddownloader

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
What is it showing??

i guess for e72, you can manually select the network mode, which you would have set as 3G, thereby giving 3G speed over 2G network. in case of Lumia you can set the preferred network which would be 3G. Since you are on a 2G plan, the internet speed is for 2G. i would suggest you to try a 3G plan for a day or say and then compare the speed.

paranoiddownloader

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
hi.. i have a problem in my phone lumia 520...few days before i have a nokia e 52 i used nokia pc suite in my pc and connect internet in my pc by using e 52 by pc suite but now i have lumia 520 a feature is in go to setting- internet sharing when i switched on there was a problem its not worked please help me ..........

internet sharing is done via wi-fi hotspot. you cannot connect it via PC suite like the earlier Symbian phones. if you have a laptop, share your internet on lumia, it would give you a passkey and the connect the laptop through wifi.

sukruthkrishna

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
The following solution worked for me,
Activate mobile data and u will get the access point at the end of the settings app, in that create a new access point with the right APN and at the end in authentication type select CHAP and save the settings. Activate the newly created setting and use in your laptop and ipad etc

kaybee327

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
In a way I am pleased that I am not the only one having wifi connection problems.

Had a new Lumia 520 from O2 in UK and can not get internet or store connection. I have had so many chats and phone calls in the last week it would take a month just to read up. It got so bad they replaced the phone which came today but have exactly the same ;problem

GPRS connection works fine but very very slow but no way can I get wifi to work. every time O2 say go to apps - wifi - select router. check not in 'in-flight mode' and it will work. Ha Ha Ha - it DON'T.

Cant even go to Nokia as the 520 does not have support from them - speak to your supplier. Excellent service Nokia - can't even send an email - would send them a tweet but would probably be reported for sending an obscene tweet .

If anyone know or can suggest where I might get some sensible support it would be appreciated

Keith

faceless_el

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
i recently bought lumia 520... i am facing problem with the internet connectivity. i was using nokia e 72 before with a 3g connection. i was able to browse and download with a great speed. but now i am not getting the same speed as before. iam using the same sim card with 3g support.
in my settings, it is in 3g mode... but still iam not getting the speed. :( please help!:cry::cry::cry::cry:

are you using the same sim card? if so, did you cut your sim card. Nokia e72 uses a mini-sim while the Lumia 520 uses a MicroSim. Results vary when cutting but I replaced my sim with the proper sized microsim and showing slight increase in speed

kaybee327

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
In a way I am pleased that I am not the only one having wifi connection problems.

Had a new Lumia 520 from O2 in UK and can not get internet or store connection. I have had so many chats and phone calls in the last week it would take a month just to read up. It got so bad they replaced the phone which came today but have exactly the same ;problem

GPRS connection works fine but very very slow but no way can I get wifi to work. every time O2 say go to apps - wifi - select router. check not in 'in-flight mode' and it will work. Ha Ha Ha - it DON'T.

Cant even go to Nokia as the 520 does not have support from them - speak to your supplier. Excellent service Nokia - can't even send an email - would send them a tweet but would probably be reported for sending an obscene tweet .

If anyone know or can suggest where I might get some sensible support it would be appreciated

Keith

A possible solution for some ( I hope)

While arguing with O2 in UK and getting nowhere I decided to go my own way.

First I went to a Nokia Care Center, told them problem, guy went in back came out 10 seconds later said nothing wrong - gave me phone to check and sure enough it worked perfectly.

Went home, tried but no connection, had a good cry. read a bit and had a brain storm if I could connect to router and router works fine with laptop and sky box the only thing left was security. Checked firewall all ok checked security mode router set to WPA/PSK had trawl on internet then went to phone spec does not list WPA/PSK so changed it to WPA2. powered off phone and restarted and guess what
:smile::smile::smile: RAH RAH RAH :grin::grin::grin: Internet connection at last.

So those that can suggest you check your wireless settings on the router. and wish you the best of luck

Keith

utso narjinary

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Having half a decade experience with nokia 3g phones, I found the real cause of the slower internet speed in the Nokia Lumia phones...
I too am now using 520 and the problem with me is the same... The slower internet speed.

However according to my understanding the Problem is with the 3G setting... It says Highest speed 3g which means that when we switch over to 3g it is 2g/3g both... Meaning GSM/HSPDA both.. Earlier in Symbian we used to have
1.GSM
2. GSM/HSPDA/WCDMA
3. ONLY HSPDA/WCDMA

utso narjinary

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The problem is that the 3g connection is dual mode... Meaning, earlier in Symbian phones we used to have
1.GSM
2.Gsm/Hspda/wcdma
3. Only Hspda/wcdma
Since lumia has only the first two, when the network of 3g is insufficient it swtches over to 2g.. And it shows E instead of 3g or H... There is no other way to solve the problem unless Nokia and Microsoft together take necessary upgrade in the Amber update..... Waiting this problem to be solved too.. Along with separate profiles/ voloume control for music and ringtone/ and equalizer in the music player...

Until then we can just wait and watch...
Hope this help you to not to worry or waste ur time on looking around for better network...

Dheeraj Sukumaran

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
i'm also having a nokia lumia, but with a slightly different problem...

the connection recently started showing 'sp connection failed'

i was using the phone for like a month and a half, and yesterday onwards the connection started showing this on my BSNL network.
recently the bsnl changed its plan and now only 3g plans are available. and i used to get good speed around 200kB/s. But randomly it is showing like this and apps are not getting connected to net. especially the speedtest app and also the store :cry:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12