Soon to be a new owner of the 520!

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, i have finally gotten myself a Windows Phone, the Nokia Lumia 520!

I am so happy to finally say that i am soon going to own one.

Muzz8

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Really?
I've had mine a day & it's deffo going back.
No flash on the camera, no FM Radio, no T9 predictive text keyboard, & not compatible with Nokia Suite, so I can't upload my contacts - (I've got to input all my 183 contacts manually onto my new micro-sim card.)

The texting is the BIG problem for me. I have only stuck with Nokia all these years because of the ease of predictive text _ I hold the phone in my right hand & text with my thumb & can knock out a text in next to no time. The qwerty keyboard is not for me - far too fiddly & time-consuming, my fingers press 2 letters together & I have to keep correcting.
And no more FM Radio when I'm travelling on holiday or laying in the sun. Big step back for me - even the old cheap ones from years ago had a radio. No plans for an app either, because there is no inbuilt antenna, so it wouldn't work anyway.
Gonna change it for last years wonderful N8 or even an older X6. They were fantastic Smartphones.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Really?
No flash on the camera, no FM Radio, no T9 predictive text keyboard, & not compatible with Nokia Suite, so I can't upload my contacts - (I've got to input all my 183 contacts manually onto my new micro-sim card.)

The texting is the BIG problem for me. I have only stuck with Nokia all these years because of the ease of predictive text _ I hold the phone in my right hand & text with my thumb & can knock out a text in next to no time. The qwerty keyboard is not for me - far too fiddly & time-consuming, my fingers press 2 letters together & I have to keep correcting.
And no more FM Radio when I'm travelling on holiday or laying in the sun. Big step back for me - even the old cheap ones from years ago had a radio. No plans for an app either, because there is no inbuilt antenna, so it wouldn't work anyway.
Gonna change it for last years wonderful N8 or even an older X6. They were fantastic Smartphones.

Well dude you should understand this is a low end device its not going to be perfect. It won't have all the features

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
That's great to hear!

When will it arrive?

It arrived today, sorry for the late reply :)

My only issue is trying to download apps as for some reason it want's me to set up the My Family settings... Don't worry i fixed it. :)

Really?

You might not have enjoyed using the 520, but i love this damn phone. I just love it. :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It arrived today, sorry for the late reply :)

My only issue is trying to download apps as for some reason it want's me to set up the My Family settings... Don't worry i fixed it. :)

You might not have enjoyed using the 520, but i love this damn phone. I just love it. :)

That's great to hear. 😊

Asif Rahman

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I have also bought a L520 couple of days ago but cannot install the .XAP files downloaded from windowsphone.com. Are you able to install apps on your phone? If you are, could you help me please.
Here is what I did -

I have got a Twinmoss 16gb mSDHC card. After putting it in mSlot, my phone recognized the card instantly when turned on. I connected my L520 to the PC and browsed to the phone from "My Computer". There was 2 folders:

1. Phone Memory
2. SD Card

What I did:
I browsed into the SD Card and copied all the .XAP file directly into the Mem. Card (not into any folder, if you open the Mem. Card you will see all the apps right on the window. You won't have to go through any folder).

>after that, I unplugged my phone from the PC,
>shut it down and waited a while,
>then turned it back on,
>found the SD Card option in the Store after a few minutes,
>tapped the SD Card option and found nothing.
>Instead the phone was trying to connect to the Online Store and couldn't connect as there was no data connection available.

Q1. So what did I do wrong? The Mem. Card works fine.
Q2. Do I need internet connection to access the .XAP files in the SD Card to install? All the .XAPs are free versions. None of them needs to be paid to be used/demo versions.
Q3. Is there any tutorial with images/videos that could show the whole process? I tried google and youtube, but found nothing.

RepoUK

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I took mine back today.

In comparison to my current phone - the Lumia 710 - it has a poor quality screen. Mine suffered from the disconnect from router syndrome which Nokia knows about but doesn't seem to have bothered to fix.

I also didn't realise that it didn't have Gorilla Glass (my fault for making an assumption here) which is pretty much a basic requirement for me. Unfortunately the 620 doesn't have Gorilla Glass either :(

Alex Johnson3

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Bought mine yesterday. I owned a focus which I thought was awesome but my 520 is way cooler. It sucks that it's missing allot of features but it's a budget phone. we all knew that when we bought it.

test notes:
-don't freak out if the camera button does not seem to work probably. the backplate probably isn't seated correctly.
-got black and blue backplates which is great
-headphone jack seems kind of loose (may or may not be my own fault)
-feels very delicate compared to my old feature phone.
-surprisingly fast but some audio glitches and one freezeup
-I so glad I got xbox music, it's been fun already rebuilding my collection.
-the keypad won't come up in call
-GO! NOKIA AND MICROSOFT LOL

Last edited:

gouthamdatsme

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I am a owner of Lumia 520 too. I bought it within about 5 days of its release in India and I can say that I am completely satisfied with it. It has problems too but I am not worried about that because every gadget nowadays has some problems in it even if its a costly one. So its better to be happy with the good things it has got in it. After all its a budget phone and we cant expect features of a high-end phone in it. -_-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12