At&t Lumia 520 & straight talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I have straight talk. Can I buy the lumia 520 from at&t to use for straight talk? I have an at&t sim ( a long time customer ) or do I have to go buy the international version ( the that's available in India . . . I think. )

Also is the at&t version a 4G phone?
I know straight talk doesn't offer 4G but I still like having the option to go to contract and already having a phone.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't have an answer to your original question, but if you do change to AT&T, may sure you get a 30 day and out contract, since you own the phone. I have an AT&T store by me that will tell you that you have to sign a 2 year contract, regardless of whether you own the phone. I finally had to call AT&T directly to a 30 day and out contract.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That really depends on whether its AT&T locked or not. If it is, you'll have to find one of those discontinued AT&T-compatible ST sims.

For Straight Talk, I would go for the 521 (same thing, just slightly taller, white back by default, and T-Mo branding) and get the easier-to-get/still-made T-Mobile compatible SIM. I just set up my sister on ST with a 521, didn't even get T-Mo service or break out the T-Mo sim.

If it is unlocked (yay!), all you have to do is make sure its compatible with the Straight Talk bands.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the at&t sim from ST. Its in my focus flash.I meant the focus flash not unlocked. I more concerned about getting 3G on the phone than anything else and not having to go to ST for their T-mo sim. Or having to buy a new sim.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
3G should definitely work, as ST goes through the ATT network if you have an ST ATT SIM. IIRC, 4G (HSPA+) should too if the phone supports it, which ATT's site says so.

I took a look here
Nokia Lumia 520- GoPhone - Prepaid cell phone from AT&T

I'd go for it, but no guarantees, as who knows, maybe ATT suddenly pulls a Leo Apotheker (of SAP, then HP fame) and spins off their cell phone business and network.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering the very same thing as the OP! The difference is that I'm not a customer of AT&T or StraightTalk. I want to buy the new 520 for $99 from AT&T, then take it to one of their MVNOs.....or T-Mobile!

By the way, how easy is it to convince AT&T to unlock a phone that has been paid in full?

Last edited:

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased a 520 from ATT, and it is working for calls anyway. I've only had it up two days now and it is for my daughter so I was not aware data was not working until today. I'll have to change the APN settings when she gets back, once I actually figure out how to do so that is. Phone calls work with nothing being done though.

I was using StraightTalk for a couple of years now but seeing as I was unable to get ATT sims anymore I closed my accounts there and switched to puretalkusa. They are an ATT mvno also. First phone (Nokia) is two days old and my wifes came in today for her iPhone so I'm doing the APNs on that later tonight to get data working. I'll be doing my 520 on Saturday I believe.

Also - as a side note. My phone is provided by work, and is from ATT. We get little signal so I got a microcell from ATT for my work phone. I then added my wife and daughters numbers from StraightTalk, and now from Puretalkusa, and they work fine on the microcell. I figured they would as it is still ATT service, but I was not positive so if you've ever wondered if it works, it does!

WhiteNiteLite

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up an AT&T Lumia 520 and I have Straight Talk (with an AT&T SIM). I can confirm that there's no need to unlock the phone (as long as your SIM is indeed an AT&T compatible one). Everything works fine as well once as you configure the APN settings. One word of advice, don't use the built-in APN settings in the Cellular settings page. Instead download the Nokia Access Point app and input the settings there instead: access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United Kingdom)

You'll have to use that link because the app is normally hidden from the store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos