So my mom is currently rocking my old 2 year old Samsung Focus (SGH-I917). It's actually held up really well and she was just fine waiting until our family plan had an upgrade available (not for over a year) - but now with the Lumia 520 for only 99$ at AT&T I'm temped to buy one just to get her on WP8.
    First though I wanted to see if there is anyone here who has gone through this upgrade, or has both. - How do they compare? I'm aware of the benefits of WP8 over WP7 but how is the hardware comparison?
    The main things I'm curious about are:

1) How do the screens compare? (I loved the deep blacks on the AMOLED in the Focus, and I think the Windows Phone UI begs for that good contrast)
    2) How does the build quality compare?
    3) How is the speed of the 520 compared to the Focus?
    07-26-2013 10:33 PM
    1) How do the screens compare?
    -Looks fairly good but you cant expect a budget phone to have an AMOLED display

2) How does the build quality compare
    -520 has a sturdy build quality and is judt big enough to fit in your palm..neither too big..nor too small..feels great

-You wont find noticeable change but wp8 is more fluidic and smooth compared to wp7 and then you can enjoy exclusive NOKIA apps with lumia 520
    07-26-2013 11:11 PM
    If she is the really light user like my mother, I would say you shouldn't upgrade. My mom is using an Optimus V slider that, to me, is way past it's prime. That said, she doesn't need a lot to serve her needs.
    07-26-2013 11:31 PM
    1) How do the screens compare?
    -Looks fairly good but you cant expect a budget phone to have an AMOLED display

2) How does the build quality compare
    -520 has a sturdy build quality and is judt big enough to fit in your palm..neither too big..nor too small..feels great

-You wont find noticeable change but wp8 is more fluidic and smooth compared to wp7 and then you can enjoy exclusive NOKIA apps with lumia 520
    Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I might go check one out just to see the screen myself.

If she is the really light user like my mother, I would say you shouldn't upgrade. My mom is using an Optimus V slider that, to me, is way past it's prime. That said, she doesn't need a lot to serve her needs.
    Yeah, my mom is a pretty light user- some web browsing, email checking, texting, picture taking, and Wordament(and other games like it) player.

What I think I'll do if I pick one up, is just get it as a backup device for anyone in our family, that she can switch to if she finds she likes it more.
    07-27-2013 12:05 AM
    For the price, it really is the perfect phone for a backup. I'm thinking of getting one soon for myself.
    07-27-2013 04:32 AM
    ^^
    i have been using lumia 520 d day it launched and i am morre then happy to use it...very simple...beautiful and makes my mobile looks alive unlike android which is plain and boring !!
    07-27-2013 06:03 AM