Coming from 8x

Colby Lee

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey. I jumped ship over to Lumia again from the 8x and I'm proud to be a part of the 520 family. I'm very knowledgeable on Windows Phones in general but I do have questions about the current and updated 520.

For those that know how to manage battery consumption, (conditioning, considerate use, etc.) how is the average battery life?

How does the phone usually handle drops? How durable is it compared with other Lumia models?

Are there any issues with overheating or rebooting due to extensive use?

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
The most intensive game i've played on my 520 is Asphalt 7: Heat, it's gotten pretty warm and has never restarted.

Battery life is alright, i get 8 hours with moderate use.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
i get 3 days with moderate use...i usually dont use net...so just playing games nd music drains very little battery !!

im more than happy with my lumia

faceless_el

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Colby may i ask what made you move from the 8x. I was actually considering that phone before. Spec wise seems better than 520 with the exception of no card slot for microSD

Colby Lee

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Colby may i ask what made you move from the 8x. I was actually considering that phone before. Spec wise seems better than 520 with the exception of no card slot for microSD

Certainly. Noticeable advantages moving to the Lumia for me are:
-The phone is shorter and thinner which causes less strain on my right thumb reaching across the screen, (Odd how most people don't see this as an advantage and opt for the largest display) and it slips into my pocket very easily. I had to force the 8x into my pocket, and hoped that I didn't mess up the soft touch coating in the process.
-The buttons are not as flush and easier to press. Its dangerous trying to unlock the 8x in a car when you keep missing the shallow power button, not to mention VERY frustrating.
-The keyboard is much better in my opinion. The touch feedback on the super sensitive screen is better and more responsive.
-Nokia makes more apps than HTC for Windows Phone.
-Expandable memory
-Nokia Music!
-The 520 offers more colors and they are exchangeable shells.
-Like I mentioned earlier, it has super sensitive touch and you can use gloves with it.
-The 520 has an industrial feel and I don't have to "baby" it.

There is no camera flash or front facing camera on the 520, but that isn't a big deal to me because I don't take many pictures. I think the design of the 8x, although well built and slim, is a little too awkward due to the weight of the phone sitting in the middle, and the length. Even though the 8x doesn't come apart, the 520 just feels more solid. The 8x is delicate and the 520 has that Nokia toughness that most people like.

As far as specs go, Microsoft makes their operating system to be able handle lower specs, which makes the 520 run as smooth as any high end Windows Phone. If you need a vibrant HD screen for movies, expandable storage, or a superior camera then there are noticeable differences. Other than that, you get the same software experience.

Colby Lee

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
yes. I was deciding between getting the 8X, 8S & the 520 but the 520 won due to price and availability in a short period of time.

Good choice. Some people see the 520 as a back-up device, but I see it as a primary device...especially with the more comfortable 4 inch display. Screw specs, this is Windows Phone! Lol.

mrdeeds_72

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
When I bought my son the 520. I thought there was no way I'd like it, but I found myself playing around with it more than my 8X for a while lol. The Nokia exclusives really do add value. The lack of a front facing camera and only 512 of ram is what limits this vis a vis the 8X imo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99