08-10-2013 10:25 AM
33 12
tools
    Found this deal over at Fatwallet. Check out the link for details.

Nokia Lumia 520 AT&T Phone for $72.02 with coupon and Amazon Visa card.
    Duvi likes this.
    08-03-2013 10:36 PM
    Wow! That's a steal!
    palandri and xandros9 like this.
    08-03-2013 10:43 PM
    How likely is AT&T to let people unlock the 520?
    And if unlocked, then taken to T-Mobile, which features would be lost (if any)?
    08-03-2013 10:45 PM
    I ordered one a couple days ago. I'm not sure yet exactly what I'll do with it when I get it, but I couldn't pass it up!
    08-03-2013 10:52 PM
    How likely is AT&T to let people unlock the 520?
    And if unlocked, then taken to T-Mobile, which features would be lost (if any)?
    AT&T won't unlock Go-Phones.

Get an international unbranded/unlocked version: Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 520 8GB Black - International Version, Factory Unlocked WP8: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-04-2013 12:00 AM
    I read on another forum about someone who purchased an AT&T Lumia 520 and was able to get it unlocked by AT&T. There are some 3rd parties who claim they can unlock the phone (although I know that it is illegal).
    08-04-2013 12:14 AM
    Found this deal over at Fatwallet. Check out the link for details.

Nokia Lumia 520 AT&T Phone for $72.02 with coupon and Amazon Visa card.
    That certainly is a great price compared to the $109 I paid ($100 + tax). However, I used my credit card (platinum MC with has Purchase Assurance), which doubles the warranty of the phone, which gives me some peace of mind, in case I have a problem with the phone. Does the Amazon card have any benefits like that?
    08-04-2013 12:51 AM
    I read on another forum about someone who purchased an AT&T Lumia 520 and was able to get it unlocked by AT&T. There are some 3rd parties who claim they can unlock the phone (although I know that it is illegal).
    I did not know unlocking is illegal (i'm assuming by 3rd party)
    08-04-2013 01:13 AM
    Get an international unbranded/unlocked version:
    By the way, what does unbranded mean? Just that the device has no carrier logos? Or that it's also somehow different inside?

Sorry for the odd questions. This is going to be my first mobile phone.
    palandri likes this.
    08-04-2013 02:24 AM
    By the way, what does unbranded mean? Just that the device has no carrier logos? Or that it's also somehow different inside?

Correct, not carrier branded.
    08-04-2013 02:33 AM
    I read on another forum about someone who purchased an AT&T Lumia 520 and was able to get it unlocked by AT&T.
    I have a vague recollection of reading that too. I can't remember on which thread, though. Do you have a link?
    08-04-2013 03:45 AM
    I did not know unlocking is illegal (i'm assuming by 3rd party)
    In the US, it is unless it is by the carrier. The 3rd parties give you a code, I believe. I haven't gotten mine done, though. Even though unlocking other than by carrier is illegal, is it enforceable? Wasn't iphone jailbreaking illegal at one point? I never saw anyone prosecuted over it.
    08-04-2013 08:39 AM
    In an unbranded-unlocked WP8 device, is it the carriers, Nokia or Microsoft who pushes the updates? What makes unbranded-unlocked phones more update-friendly? Can I flash the updates manually?

Regarding international phones, It seems that some of them don't operate on the 3G/LTE frequencies used by T-Mobile/AT&T, which would mean 2G only connections if such phones were used in the US. For example, the Lumia 520 Model RM-914 uses 900MHz and 2100MHz for 3G. So, if that's correct, buying an international phone requires some extra of attention.
    08-04-2013 03:35 PM
    In an unbranded-unlocked WP8 device, is it the carriers, Nokia or Microsoft who pushes the updates? What makes unbranded-unlocked phones more update-friendly? Can I flash the updates manually?

Regarding international phones, It seems that some of them don't operate on the 3G/LTE frequencies used by T-Mobile/AT&T, which would mean 2G only connections if such phones were used in the US. For example, the Lumia 520 Model RM-914 uses 900MHz and 2100MHz for 3G. So, if that's correct, buying an international phone requires some extra of attention.
    For the Lumia, there is a GDR2 (general distribution release) which updates Windows, released by Microsoft, but I'm not sure if it goes through Nokia. Nokia has a firmware update that allows things specific to Nokia hardware (e.g. FM radio, double tap to wake), most recently the Amber update. The Lumia 520 already has both, ahead of the 521.

I'm not sure about the international versions.

I think AT&T uses GSM frequencies 900 & 1700.
    08-04-2013 05:10 PM
    Anyone who ordered from Amazon ordered received it yet?
    08-04-2013 05:57 PM

what it REALLY means is that you aren't at the mercy of some shyster carrier like ATT to approve the updates that go to your phone. You get them when Nokia and Microsoft are ready. But at $190, that's just to big of a difference at this point. They say these are unsubsidized but if that were the case the ATT ones wouldn't cost over $100 less.
    08-04-2013 10:14 PM
    what it REALLY means is that you aren't at the mercy of some shyster carrier like ATT to approve the updates that go to your phone. You get them when Nokia and Microsoft are ready. But at $190, that's just to big of a difference at this point. They say these are unsubsidized but if that were the case the ATT ones wouldn't cost over $100 less.
    Unbranded generally means that the phone isn't locked to any carrier. You are also responsible to make sure it has the exact bands you need.

Keep in mind, unbranded don't always get updates first. In fact, I have seen some examples of that in these forums.
    08-04-2013 10:20 PM
    what it REALLY means is that you aren't at the mercy of some shyster carrier like ATT to approve the updates that go to your phone. You get them when Nokia and Microsoft are ready.
    So let me if I understand... Nokia and MS will prepare the updates and send them to the carriers, which will:

• "relay" them promptly to unbranded phones.
    • "relay" them after some extensive testing and bureaucracy to branded phones.

Is it correct?
    08-04-2013 11:09 PM
    So let me if I understand... Nokia and MS will prepare the updates and send them to the carriers, which will:

• "relay" them promptly to unbranded phones.
    • "relay" them after some extensive testing and bureaucracy to branded phones.

Is it correct?
    Unbranded phones are phones that aren't specifically made for a carrier. There isn't a carrier holding them back. Carriers don't sell phones that are locked to their network but don't have their logos or apps on them.
    08-04-2013 11:13 PM
    well go check on ebay, there are a couple of sellers that says they can unlock the lumia 520,

AT&T won't unlock Go-Phones.

Get an international unbranded/unlocked version: Amazon.com: Nokia Lumia 520 8GB Black - International Version, Factory Unlocked WP8: Cell Phones & Accessories
    08-04-2013 11:45 PM
    Unbranded phones are phones that aren't specifically made for a carrier. There isn't a carrier holding them back. Carriers don't sell phones that are locked to their network but don't have their logos or apps on them.
    So, for unbranded phones, where do the updates come from? Microsoft's website? The user visits windowsphone.com, then clicks on a link that says Click here to download an update to your phone's OS?
    08-05-2013 12:25 AM
    And the 521 is currently going for $100...

I wish the 520 was $72 down here!
    08-05-2013 03:57 AM
    Unbranded generally means that the phone isn't locked to any carrier. You are also responsible to make sure it has the exact bands you need.

Keep in mind, unbranded don't always get updates first. In fact, I have seen some examples of that in these forums.

unbranded phones will generally be unlocked. But unlocking a locked phone will never unbrand it.
    08-05-2013 11:06 AM
    Anyone who ordered from Amazon ordered received it yet?
    I haven't received it yet, but I received tracking information. According to that it's being shipped via FedEx Smartpost and just arrived at my local post office.

I have a question unrelated to shipping: is it possible to take a carrier branded device like this and flash unbranded firmware?
    08-05-2013 12:41 PM
    I haven't received it yet, but I received tracking information. According to that it's being shipped via FedEx Smartpost and just arrived at my local post office.

I have a question unrelated to shipping: is it possible to take a carrier branded device like this and flash unbranded firmware?
    When did you order it?

Price at Amazon is back up to $99.99.
    Last edited by Shawn Magm; 08-05-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    08-05-2013 08:00 PM
33 12