ATT 520 for $72 at Amazon

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
How likely is AT&T to let people unlock the 520?
And if unlocked, then taken to T-Mobile, which features would be lost (if any)?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I ordered one a couple days ago. I'm not sure yet exactly what I'll do with it when I get it, but I couldn't pass it up!

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I read on another forum about someone who purchased an AT&T Lumia 520 and was able to get it unlocked by AT&T. There are some 3rd parties who claim they can unlock the phone (although I know that it is illegal).

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

faceless_el

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I read on another forum about someone who purchased an AT&T Lumia 520 and was able to get it unlocked by AT&T. There are some 3rd parties who claim they can unlock the phone (although I know that it is illegal).

I did not know unlocking is illegal (i'm assuming by 3rd party)

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Get an international unbranded/unlocked version:

By the way, what does unbranded mean? Just that the device has no carrier logos? Or that it's also somehow different inside?

Sorry for the odd questions. This is going to be my first mobile phone.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I did not know unlocking is illegal (i'm assuming by 3rd party)

In the US, it is unless it is by the carrier. The 3rd parties give you a code, I believe. I haven't gotten mine done, though. Even though unlocking other than by carrier is illegal, is it enforceable? Wasn't iphone jailbreaking illegal at one point? I never saw anyone prosecuted over it.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

In an unbranded-unlocked WP8 device, is it the carriers, Nokia or Microsoft who pushes the updates? What makes unbranded-unlocked phones more update-friendly? Can I flash the updates manually?

Regarding international phones, It seems that some of them don't operate on the 3G/LTE frequencies used by T-Mobile/AT&T, which would mean 2G only connections if such phones were used in the US. For example, the Lumia 520 Model RM-914 uses 900MHz and 2100MHz for 3G. So, if that's correct, buying an international phone requires some extra of attention.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
In an unbranded-unlocked WP8 device, is it the carriers, Nokia or Microsoft who pushes the updates? What makes unbranded-unlocked phones more update-friendly? Can I flash the updates manually?

Regarding international phones, It seems that some of them don't operate on the 3G/LTE frequencies used by T-Mobile/AT&T, which would mean 2G only connections if such phones were used in the US. For example, the Lumia 520 Model RM-914 uses 900MHz and 2100MHz for 3G. So, if that's correct, buying an international phone requires some extra of attention.

For the Lumia, there is a GDR2 (general distribution release) which updates Windows, released by Microsoft, but I'm not sure if it goes through Nokia. Nokia has a firmware update that allows things specific to Nokia hardware (e.g. FM radio, double tap to wake), most recently the Amber update. The Lumia 520 already has both, ahead of the 521.

I'm not sure about the international versions.

I think AT&T uses GSM frequencies 900 & 1700.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
By the way, what does unbranded mean? Just that the device has no carrier logos? Or that it's also somehow different inside?

Sorry for the odd questions. This is going to be my first mobile phone.

what it REALLY means is that you aren't at the mercy of some shyster carrier like ATT to approve the updates that go to your phone. You get them when Nokia and Microsoft are ready. But at $190, that's just to big of a difference at this point. They say these are unsubsidized but if that were the case the ATT ones wouldn't cost over $100 less.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
what it REALLY means is that you aren't at the mercy of some shyster carrier like ATT to approve the updates that go to your phone. You get them when Nokia and Microsoft are ready. But at $190, that's just to big of a difference at this point. They say these are unsubsidized but if that were the case the ATT ones wouldn't cost over $100 less.

Unbranded generally means that the phone isn't locked to any carrier. You are also responsible to make sure it has the exact bands you need.

Keep in mind, unbranded don't always get updates first. In fact, I have seen some examples of that in these forums.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
what it REALLY means is that you aren't at the mercy of some shyster carrier like ATT to approve the updates that go to your phone. You get them when Nokia and Microsoft are ready.

So let me if I understand... Nokia and MS will prepare the updates and send them to the carriers, which will:

• "relay" them promptly to unbranded phones.
  • "relay" them after some extensive testing and bureaucracy to branded phones.

Is it correct?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So let me if I understand... Nokia and MS will prepare the updates and send them to the carriers, which will:

• "relay" them promptly to unbranded phones.
  • "relay" them after some extensive testing and bureaucracy to branded phones.

Is it correct?

Unbranded phones are phones that aren't specifically made for a carrier. There isn't a carrier holding them back. Carriers don't sell phones that are locked to their network but don't have their logos or apps on them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3