Just switched from a Focus to a 520, not getting a data connection

benjamouth

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi WP experts,

I bought a Lumia 520 AT&T GoPhone from Amazon and put the SIM from my on-contract Sammy Focus.

I had to trim some of the plastic off the SIM card to get it in but once I did it seemed to work and I can receive calls. The problem is I seem to have no data connection.:cry:

Does anyone know what I need to do to get the data working on the new phone? Do I have to contact AT&T to do something or is there a setting on the phone I can change ?

Thanks,
Benjamouth

Mark Everingham

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
The 520 is probably set to use AT&T Prepaid internet settings, if you go to settings>access point you should hopefully find an option that is AT&T post-pay or similar.

benjamouth

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Mark, I don't seem to have an settings>access point option on the settings menu, is it under some kind of advanced setting ?

Jnbs

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Also, could it be that the IMEI is not registered on the account.. If you just swap, sometimes it does not work.. I know because i used to work with AT&T and had tons of customers with these problems. Access point should solve it, but if it doesn't call CS

benjamouth

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone, especially Mark.

Access point sorted it out, not really sure how but it's fixed it.

One last question, access point says my connection is 3G, phone says 4G, which one am I likely to be getting ?
I'm guessing 3G.

navidee

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone, especially Mark.

Access point sorted it out, not really sure how but it's fixed it.

One last question, access point says my connection is 3G, phone says 4G, which one am I likely to be getting ?
I'm guessing 3G.

you would assume correctly. Your data plan would need to be changed to get 4g if im assuming correctly.

Mark Everingham

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
This is where marketing has made things confusing.
In the UK we have 2G (voice and text) 3G, including 3G+ and H, H+ (internet etc) and 4G (faster Internet etc)
In the US (AT&T at least) the have called H and H+ 4G and what we call 4G they have called 4G LTE, so in access point it only says 3G but if the front of the phone says 4G you will be getting the faster speed just not LTE which the phone doesn't support.
Clear as mud

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss