Buying Lumia 520 at Amazon

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming that you're talking about the at&t GoPhone Lumia 520. If you buy it in a physical store, you don't have to get service. I believe this is the case in Amazon too. If you buy it at att.com you have to pay for atleast a month of service.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I bought one from Amazon. At the time it was $90.02. I didn't have to buy any Go Phone service. I use my Net 10 AT&T SIM card in it.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm assuming that you're talking about the at&t GoPhone Lumia 520. If you buy it in a physical store, you don't have to get service. I believe this is the case in Amazon too. If you buy it at att.com you have to pay for atleast a month of service.

I bought mine @ the ATT store, but told the associate that I didn't want a plan. She was fine with it. However, some other users have reported that they had to purchase a plan.

jt1234

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I got mine from Microsoft store without the plan free shipping got it within the week or if i remember right 17$ for overnight shipping $10 for 2nd day shipping

futpaul

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
My $99 Lumia 520 arrived from Amazon yesterday.

I fired it up, started downloading apps and am learning how to use Windows Phone, and plan to try an H2O wireless sim in it soon.

First impression is that this is a fantastic little device for $99, and if I can use it as a prepaid phone too, all the better.

Cheers,

Paul

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am planning to convert my wife to a WP user. Bit before I get her a 1020, I want her to experience WP. So I bought a 520 yesterday from Amazon. She is a post paid ATT customer. Question is will her post paid sim card work in the 520 without converting to a prepaid account?Thanks

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the phone will work fine with her postpaid AT&T card. From my understanding, the SIM cards are exactly the same between post and prepaid (GoPhone). Beyond that, apparently SIMs for AT&T MVNO's (such as Straight Talk) work in the phone without the phone needing to be unlocked.

jdbii

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the phone will work fine with her postpaid AT&T card. From my understanding, the SIM cards are exactly the same between post and prepaid (GoPhone). Beyond that, apparently SIMs for AT&T MVNO's (such as Straight Talk) work in the phone without the phone needing to be unlocked.

Will it work with an active Net10 micro sim (at&t provisioned) that I use in my Nexus 4 out of the box?

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
That is what others on these forums have reported -- that it is only locked to the AT&T network but will work without being unlocked on AT&T MVNO's. I have heard at least one complaint, however, that you cannot modify the APN, and that has stopped that user from getting MMS texts. Hopefully someone with a 520 using a MVNO will be able to comment further on this.

jdbii

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Would there be any difference between the $99 version sold on Amazon, Microsoft Store, or an AT&T brick and mortar store?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That is what others on these forums have reported -- that it is only locked to the AT&T network but will work without being unlocked on AT&T MVNO's. I have heard at least one complaint, however, that you cannot modify the APN, and that has stopped that user from getting MMS texts. Hopefully someone with a 520 using a MVNO will be able to comment further on this.

You can't modify existing APNs, but you can create & activate a new one. I use my AT&T 520 with a Net10 AT&T SIM card, and everything works, including HSPA & MMS.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
There is no difference between the versions sold on Amazon, in the Microsoft Store, or an AT&T store. At most there might be a difference in packaging, but the phone and contents of the package will be the same.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Would there be any difference between the $99 version sold on Amazon, Microsoft Store, or an AT&T brick and mortar store?

No.

I purchased a specific go phone model at Walmart, and it works with my contract 4G LTE sim card in case anyone was wondering

jdbii

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
You can't modify existing APNs, but you can create & activate a new one. I use my AT&T 520 with a Net10 AT&T SIM card, and everything works, including HSPA & MMS.

Is your Net10 sim swappable between your Nexus 4 and your 520?

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

I was considering Net10's $50 plan with Unlimited talk, text and web, but it isn't clear ti me if the web part if it us indeed "unlimited". Could you explain how it works?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte