Buying Lumia 520 at Amazon

jdbii

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I was considering Net10's $50 plan with Unlimited talk, text and web, but it isn't clear ti me if the web part if it us indeed "unlimited". Could you explain how it works?

I have that plan on my Nexus 4 wth a Net10 AT&T sim card. Its unlimited talk, text, and 1.5 GB of high speed data, which I think is on AT&T's hspa+21 network. The data allotment is a hard cap, so data stops completely at the 1.5 GB threshold. If you auto enroll to have your account refilled automatically you get a $5 discount so it comes out to $45 a month.

I'm not sure why they state "unlimited" but they qualify it with an asterisk and list the terms here that state Net10 sim cards that operate on AT&T's network are limited to 1.5 GB of data. NET10 phoneNationwide Prepaid Wireless - Terms And Conditions. I think Net10 sim cards that operate on T-mobile towers might be "unlimited" in terms of you get throttled to 2G at some point rather than cut off.

EDIT: Since I made this post I came across several announcements that Net10's 1.5GB data cap has been lifted like this one: http://www.phonenews.com/net10-removes-att-data-caps-and-goes-back-to-unlimited-23238/ I don't know whether or not this is true because the TOS link above still shows the cap but news article claims they've received confirmation from Net10 and that the TOS will be updated.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Is your Net10 sim swappable between your Nexus 4 and your 520?

Yes, and once you get the APNs set up on both devices you don't have to do anything else. Simply swap the SIM card. I swap mine between 5 devices: Nexus 4, iPhone 5, Lumia 520, Lumia 521, and Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 4

jdbii

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes, and once you get the APNs set up on both devices you don't have to do anything else. Simply swap the SIM card. I swap mine between 5 devices: Nexus 4, iPhone 5, Lumia 520, Lumia 521, and Nexus 7.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Lumia 521? That's T-Mobile isn't it, and you use a Net10 at&t sim with it? How does that work?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

samamba

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
How long takes to AT&T give the Unlock Code after the buying?
Because I bought the Lumia520 in the PayGo thing, and I can?t use AT&T.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
How long takes to AT&T give the Unlock Code after the buying?
Because I bought the Lumia520 in the PayGo thing, and I can?t use AT&T.

Call them saying you are going to travel abroad and you need the device unlocked. If they refuse, wait 25min, then call them again. A different customer service rep might give you the code. If no rep gives you the code, search for unlocking codes online. Some people sell them on eBay.

jdbii

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile gave me the unlock code.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Have you noticed any difference (voice/data/speed/reception) between the 520 and 521 when you use your Net10 AT&T sim in the same location? Specifically are you ever limited to 2G on the 521 on AT&T's towers where you would otherwise get 3G or HSPA+ in the same location with the 520? I ask because it has been mentioned in these forums that the 521 has extra antennas that don't work on AT&T's network.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you noticed any difference (voice/data/speed/reception) between the 520 and 521 when you use your Net10 AT&T sim in the same location? Specifically are you ever limited to 2G on the 521 on AT&T's towers where you would otherwise get 3G or HSPA+ in the same location with the 520? I ask because it has been mentioned in these forums that the 521 has extra antennas that don't work on AT&T's network.

I've never specifically tested both of them at the same time & place, but I haven't noticed any difference between the two at home. On AT&T's network both phones get HSPA. Where I live I've never seen anything above 7 or 8 Mbps on Net10 AT&T anyway, and I've seen that speed on the 521 as well. Of course YMMV depending on where you live.

jdbii

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I've never specifically tested both of them at the same time & place, but I haven't noticed any difference between the two at home. On AT&T's network both phones get HSPA. Where I live I've never seen anything above 7 or 8 Mbps on Net10 AT&T anyway, and I've seen that speed on the 521 as well. Of course YMMV depending on where you live.

Interesting. I've never seen anything higher than 7 Mbps myself with my own Net10 AT&T service. I think I would get the 520 since AT&T's coverage is so much better in my home and I wouldn't have to deal with getting a 521 unlocked. I would rather support T-mobile because I like how they've shaken up the industry with their new pricing schemes, but I've tried them a couple different times and I struggle even to get voice it I step away from my windows.

jdbii

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone confirm this? It doesn't sound likely to me.

I'd be interested to if anybody knows for sure, but it is covered pretty thoroughly in this 521 thread. http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...fi-calling-not-free-all-tmo-marketing-bs.html The person named "@mogelijk" who starts around the 10th posts explains it about 3 or 4 times throughout the thread. The issue in that thread is a bit different -- they are talking about whether or not wifi minutes are free or deducted from your plan's minutes, but @mogelijk mentions several times that it is only a feature on T-mobiles postpaid plans. If you go to T-mobile's prepaid site, they don't mention anything about wifi calling features on either their prepaid plans here Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Annual Contract | Monthly 4G | T-Mobile or where they list the features of their 521 prepaid phone Prepaid Nokia Lumia 521 | Lumia 521 w/ No Annual Contract | T-Mobile But if you look at the features on the postpaid side for the 521 wifi calling is listed. http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phones/nokia-lumia-521.html

Editing. As pointed out and confirmed in subsequent posts wifi calling is permitted on prepaid, and I incorrectly stated above the wifi calling is not listed on the prepaid 521. Actually on the link I posted wifi calling is in fact listed as a feature on the prepaid 521. My bad.

Last edited:

jdbii

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Wifi calling works on a prepaid s4 on T-Mobile

With the official T-mobile wifi app that deducts your prepaid minutes? Could I ask what set up that is for? Was it a T-mobile branded phone that started on postpaid and you switched over to prepaid?

associatedpress

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
With the official T-mobile wifi app that deducts your prepaid minutes? Could I ask what set up that is for? Was it a T-mobile branded phone that started on postpaid and you switched over to prepaid?

I have Lumia 925 purchased off contract on Craigslist. Bought prepaid SIM from T-Mobile (didn't start with T-Mobile postpaid). Activated $30 100 minutes, unlimited text and data*(throttled after 5 GB). Phone has WiFi calling app, I turn it on, calls and texts(not mms) work when I'm on WiFi. That all being said, it absolutely deducts from my pre-alloted minutes. The unlimited WiFi calling is reserved for postpaid plans. Hope that clears things up!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Every plan T-Mobile has these days is unlimited so not sure if mins are deducted. And the s4 line was started on the prepaid plan and its a T-Mobile branded device

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
T-mobiles wifi calling only works for their postpaid plans (Simple Choice Plans). So far as I know, you don't have wifi calling on T-mobile's prepaid plans.
Can anyone confirm this? It doesn't sound likely to me.

I can; the statement is incorrect. I have a T-Mobile prepaid plan and WiFi calling definitely works, IF I'm using a T-Mobile phone. But it does go against the plan minutes.

Every plan T-Mobile has these days is unlimited so not sure if mins are deducted. And the s4 line was started on the prepaid plan and its a T-Mobile branded device

I have a T-Mobile plan, and mine isn't unlimited minutes. It's 100 minutes/unlimited texts/data throttled after 5GB per month (actually 30 days).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte