Buying Lumia 520 at Amazon

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Someone seemed to misunderstand what I posted. WiFi calling does work on prepaid plans, as others have found here. Prior to T-Mobile switching to the Simple Choice plans back in March, WiFi calling on postpaid did not count against your minutes, whereas WiFi calling on prepaid did count against your minutes. With the Simple Choice plans, all the postpaid plans have unlimited minutes and are allowed to use WiFi calling. The one caveat to this, you must have a T-Mobile phone that supports WiFi calling (like the L521 does). Most T-Mobile phones do but, for example, the iPhones do not.

Prepaid accounts still are allowed to use WiFi calling. The problem is, some of the prepaid plans have limited minutes; while they can use WiFi calling, WiFi calls count against those minutes. The reason this is an issue on prepaid is that many people have T-Mobile's $30/month plan that only gives 100 minutes of talk but unlimited texts and 5 GB of high speed data.

jdbii

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Someone seemed to misunderstand what I posted. WiFi calling does work on prepaid plans, as others have found here. Prior to T-Mobile switching to the Simple Choice plans back in March, WiFi calling on postpaid did not count against your minutes, whereas WiFi calling on prepaid did count against your minutes. With the Simple Choice plans, all the postpaid plans have unlimited minutes and are allowed to use WiFi calling. The one caveat to this, you must have a T-Mobile phone that supports WiFi calling (like the L521 does). Most T-Mobile phones do but, for example, the iPhones do not.

Prepaid accounts still are allowed to use WiFi calling. The problem is, some of the prepaid plans have limited minutes; while they can use WiFi calling, WiFi calls count against those minutes. The reason this is an issue on prepaid is that many people have T-Mobile's $30/month plan that only gives 100 minutes of talk but unlimited texts and 5 GB of high speed data.

That was me. My apologies. I completely misconstrued and upon rereading your posts much closer and thoroughly you clearly posted that wifi calling was available on prepaid as well. I edited my original post above stating I was incorrect as well as a subsequent post. Thank you for clarification. Again, my apologies.

dropath

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Guys.. I bought the AT&T Lumia 520 from Amazon at around 80$. Am planning to get the unlock codes from ebay. Now, I am from India. What happens now when I want to update to Amber? Should I wait from a India specific update to be released, or do I need to update to only AT&T firmware? Please clarify.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
You can flash to an Indian variant firmware, best part it is they are unbranded. AT&T locks features out on its firmware so I would suggest changing firmware as soon as you get the phone

dropath

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
@pankaj981 That means I will have to wait until the Indian firmware is released, right..? I guess I can wait for a few weeks. Yeah, I read about AT&T locking some features.

jdbii

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I was considering Net10's $50 plan with Unlimited talk, text and web, but it isn't clear ti me if the web part if it us indeed "unlimited". Could you explain how it works?

Wow, looks like I need to correct myself again. Please take this with a grain of salt, but there have been a number of rumors that Net10 has lifted its 1.5GB data cap for AT&T towers despite the fact that the cap is still listed in the TOS. Net10 Removes AT&T Data Caps And Goes Back To Unlimited? (Updated Again) | PhoneNews.com
UPDATED: TracFone's Net10 brings back unlimited data for AT&T SIM subs - FierceWireless
On a side note, Straight Talk is doing business again with AT&T and selling AT&T sims (at least as of today and in my area code there are). Choose Your SIM card

dropath

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
@pankaj981 I have no idea what navifirm is. Being new to WP8, I still have a lot to learn. Will check it out. BTW, from what I read from various forums, Nokia will be pushing it's Amber update for L520 sometime before the end of September in India.

image4u

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
You can flash to an Indian variant firmware, best part it is they are unbranded. AT&T locks features out on its firmware so I would suggest changing firmware as soon as you get the phone

But AT&T is RM-915 and Indian Lumia 520 is RM-914. Even then, is it possible?

zensea

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I am completely new to smartphone.
I am current Net10 user and have one sim card that uses ATT network (verified by starting network connection and sending emails to my XXXXXXXXXX(phone number)@txt.att.net).
I purchased a Nokia 520 go phone from RadioShack today.
I cut my sim card from my Net10 phone to fit into 520.
Powered on 520. It did not say invalid sim card or anything else, but showed on right up corner ?No service?.
I can access internet via my WiFi and check my Gmail, but can NOT use phone to dial (no signal bars, no network).
What should I do to get phone function working, then MMS.
Please help me with detailed instructions or links.
Thank you very much

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05