Official Lumia 520 Amber Update Thread

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
As some of you may know, the 520 comes with GDR2 bundled with Nokia’s Amber Update. Some of you may not know what is included and how it will make your phone better. This guide should provide everything you need!

Has my update been released?
Nokia has a great page for helping its customers discover if their carrier has released the update yet or not:
Software update for Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone 8 - Nokia

To check for your phone, click on the region you belong to on the left side of the webpage. This will bring up a list phones/carriers organized by country. The 520 does have a minor update for stability and some users reporting Data Sense being activated.

Go to the settings and then check to see if you have an update available, (Settings -> Phone update -> Check for updates). If the update is available, you'll have to be on a WiFi connection to download any system updates over 20MB in size (and GDR2 is definitely over 20MB!)

What is included in GDR2?

Fixes Low Res “Me” Tile Pictures - For more details, Click Here

FM Radio - Back from the dead! It is now included on WP8 phones. You can find it in your Music & Video Hub.

Data Sense - It is now available for more phones. For more details, Click Here.

Change Default Camera Lens/App - Name says it all!

CardDAV and CalDAV Support - Now sync your calender and contacts from services that use these standards!

HTML5 Improvements - Now view HTML5 sites better in IE! Pages should load faster and with less errors!

Lynx and Skype Stability Improvements

What is included in Amber?

Block Calls & Text Messages - While the API for this feature will be on all phones, Nokia has implemented block calls and text messages based on a blacklist or from numbers that have been withheld. For more details, Click Here.

Video Trimmer - A Nokia app that allows for quick editing and sharing of video. For more details, Click Here.

Double Tap To Wake - Now you can double tap your phone to turn it on! No more finding the power button in the dark.
Caution: This feature uses more battery power.

Glance - This feature allows you to view the clock whenever you take your phone out of your pocket or when you wave your hand over the sensor. For detailed information, Click Here.
Note: This feature is not available for this device.

Nokia Pro Cam - Want the fantastic app the 1020 uses to take pictures? You got it if you have the 920, 925 or 928! For details, Click Here. There's also a good chance it will be released later for other devices if other Nokia apps are anything to go by.

Do you have some new information to share? Post it here!

Last edited:

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
im from india and just updated my L520

one new feature is that if we get an update for map, rather than downloading whole map again, it just downloads few Mbs of update !!

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Will the "official" GDR2 bring any additional changes in AT&T 520s? According to the Nokia guide, the AT&T 520 does not yet have the final Amber/GDR2, instead it is still to be released and will be version 3043.0000.1324.0002 (my current version ends in 0001). Is the fact that this is just an update from a 0001 to 0002 indicate this is more a maintenance release, or will we be getting additional features (perhaps Data Sense)? I know Verizon had an exclusive with Data Sense, but it appears that the T-Mobile phones (including the 521) got Data Sense with their Amber updates.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Most of the 520's already have GDR2 and Amber installed on them if you've purchased them recently. There are some small updates as mentioned above but they're mostly minor maintenance fixes etc as mojelijk says. This thread will mainly just be a place where you can chat about specific GDR2-related features and so on. If you do have any updates for your phone, though, they'll definitely be OTA.

VinaySC

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
im from india and just updated my L520

one new feature is that if we get an update for map, rather than downloading whole map again, it just downloads few Mbs of update !!
How did you get the update? The amber is not yet released for the 520s in India dude..are you speaking of the HERE MAPS UPDATE that we received recently?

Malaya Mohanty

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
hey ashish please wats the international like we have rm-914. so wat should we use and also the product code that you used to flash ur 520? and if possible please provide the rom links download or else please take some pain to write the steps in brief. please
its urgent

Malaya Mohanty

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
please bro reply wats the rm that u used and the product code that u used. plleese i m stuck in between. pleease. or atleast provide me the links of rom. pllleeese

BlackGoku

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Dude i'm also waiting for an update.But still no luck?How did u get the update?Is it the amber update or some small system update?

nautanki_saala

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Nokia Update Order for India

Waiting For Approval - Waiting for approval before going to the pre-release stage and then goes live. (take time)

Coming Soon - Approved! Going live soon. :)

Source : Nokia Global Website in Lumia Updates in the Support Section.

Ashish Saraf1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
guys...download the nokia care suite and download the rom

head on to WP8 forum for download link or you an even visit XDA

i flashed mine with AT&T rom

nautanki_saala

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Waiting for approval will get the update first. Then those with Coming soon

Its the other way round! Read read read blind fellows!

Check this link of the nokia official website and read carefully moron!

http://www.nokia.com/global/support...ware-update/wp8-availability-in-asia-pacific/

The release order in India will be

920 released worldwide
820 which was 'coming soon' has started in selected countries soon will be global
Then 620 which is again 'coming soon'

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb