Win XP does not detect Lumia 520?!?

Rosie Khan

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
hi i have Pentium 4 computer and win XP i m unable to connect to my lumia, when attach the usb cable it start charging and two windows pop up one says camera connected next one says new found hardware wizard and lumia appears in scanners and camera section in "my computer", need help please.:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

DhenyAW

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: win XP does not dectect lumia 520?!?

Go to windowsphone.com and download software for connect ur phone to computer..

VinaySC

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

So, i too have faced the same problem. WP8 needs windows 7 or 8, so that the phone can be recognized by the computer. Windows xp cant recognize any windows phone 8 devices. If you have Windows 7 or 8, then download the WINDOWS PHONE DESKTOP APP, then connect your phone. This WINDOWS PHONE DESKTOP APP is available only for Windows 7 or 8. Not for xp

boorya

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

Just Install service pack 3 (if it's not installed yet) and windows media player 11

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Not really, I've also had problem with it on Win XP SP3 + WMP 10. There is only one solution. you have to access device manager via My Computer, change its status from Camera to Portable MTP Device or something like that, and then download and install it http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=71641&/umdf.exe + set it manually as a driver to this (Portable MTP Device - your Lumia) device. reboot computer and it should be okay now.

Raver Rain

May 21, 2013
Visit site

do you have a pirated XP?
my office xp is original and has latest updated it can find my lumia 520

on pirated version you cant updated.

VinaySC

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

Xp can't detect WP8 phones bro. U need Windows 7 or 8 with the WINDOWS Phone DESKTOP APP installed. It does not have anything to do with pirated or legal version of the OS

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site

Xp can't detect WP8 phones bro. U need Windows 7 or 8 with the WINDOWS Phone DESKTOP APP installed. It does not have anything to do with pirated or legal version of the OS

Really? Stop widespreading false info..... It is possible, I have successfully connected Lumia 820 to PC running XP SP3, I had a lot of trouble, but I managed to see it as Portable Device and also flashed it with GDR2/Amber without any problem.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

Really? Stop widespreading false info..... It is possible, I have successfully connected Lumia 820 to PC running XP SP3, I had a lot of trouble, but I managed to see it as Portable Device and also flashed it with GDR2/Amber without any problem.

It's not plug and play and requires fiddling with Device Manager. For the average user, that's as good as impossible ;)

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
It's not plug and play and requires fiddling with Device Manager. For the average user, that's as good as impossible ;)

Well, I'm not an PRO user nor even "half a geek". Whenever I face a problem:
I make a deep research over this troublesome issue, try to overcome it by myself, using my intellect and available tools/possibilities. I'm not giving up until I find a solution. That's all. So thanks to that, I'm now happily syncing music+photos between XP PC with my WP8 phone running newest GDR2/Amber update ---> flashed to my device thankfully to the same PC... And people were saying it's impossible.
Whatever, I just wanted to let people know it is possible in fact ;) Just don't like when people are unfamiliar with things, and are spreading false/incorrect statements about them. However XP is coming to an end, just one year of Microsoft's support left, so it might be a good moment to consider OS upgrade.

Last edited:

rkin92

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Well, I'm not an PRO user nor even "half a geek". Whenever I face a problem:
I make a deep research over this troublesome issue, try to overcome it by myself, using my intellect and available tools/possibilities. I'm not giving up until I find a solution. That's all. So thanks to that, I'm now happily syncing music+photos between XP PC with my WP8 phone running newest GDR2/Amber update ---> flashed to my device thankfully to the same PC... And people were saying it's impossible.

Whatever, I just wanted to let people know it is possible in fact ;) Just don't like when people are unfamiliar with things, and are spreading false/incorrect statements about them. However XP is coming to an end, just one year of Microsoft's support left, so it might be a good moment to consider OS upgrade.

Are you a college or high school student?

If you are, you can get windows 7 or 8 for free (the Pro versions too).

Not sure if a P4 can take 8, I def think it can take 7 with lean performance.

You could get a decent Win 8 computer right now for 250-400 dollars.

I actually just bought this: Amazon.com: ASUS 1015E-DS01 10.1-Inch Laptop (Black): Computers & Accessories

Its a sandy bridge celeron, but It does alot of basic things great. Plus the battery is perfect for me to take to school (My chromebook's only lasts 2 hours vs the 5-6 I expect with the new pc). RAM is not upgradeable, but if you run a lean W8, it will be fine.

Trust me, buying an expensive laptop or desktop when you dont need the power is a horrible idea. I had an IdeaPad Y460p that crapped out a week after the warentty expired... it was barely 1.5 years old. It had a graphics card issue... I just junked it today too :evil:

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Are you a college or high school student?

If you are, you can get windows 7 or 8 for free (the Pro versions too).

Not sure if a P4 can take 8, I def think it can take 7 with lean performance.

You could get a decent Win 8 computer right now for 250-400 dollars.

I actually just bought this: Amazon.com: ASUS 1015E-DS01 10.1-Inch Laptop (Black): Computers & Accessories

Its a sandy bridge celeron, but It does alot of basic things great. Plus the battery is perfect for me to take to school (My chromebook's only lasts 2 hours vs the 5-6 I expect with the new pc). RAM is not upgradeable, but if you run a lean W8, it will be fine.

Trust me, buying an expensive laptop or desktop when you dont need the power is a horrible idea. I had an IdeaPad Y460p that crapped out a week after the warentty expired... it was barely 1.5 years old. It had a graphics card issue... I just junked it today too :evil:

I no longer belong to high-school/student group, sadly I'm too old haha
Actually I don't use my PC to other things than viewing images, music listening, video watching + as a mass storage for data gathered from Digital Camera, Lumias and other devices/sources... So I don't consider buying a new one at the moment. :p
P4 3.2GHz; 2GB RAM; GeForce 6600; 500GB Hard Drive under control of WIN XP is efficient enough to handle those tasks :)
However, thanks for the tip!

PS. That's not me having problem with connecting Lumia to P4 PC running XP, I just suggested to make a switch, due to upcoming XP support deadline. :)

Last edited:

Rosie Khan

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site

I no longer belong to high-school/student group, sadly I'm too old haha
Actually I don't use my PC to other things than viewing images, music listening, video watching + as a mass storage for data gathered from Digital Camera, Lumias and other devices/sources... So I don't consider buying a new one at the moment. :p
P4 3.2GHz; 2GB RAM; GeForce 6600; 500GB Hard Drive under control of WIN XP is efficient enough to handle those tasks :)
However, thanks for the tip!

PS. That's not me having problem with connecting Lumia to P4 PC running XP, I just suggested to make a switch, due to upcoming XP support deadline. :)
hey thanks but i got service pack 2 version 2002 do u think it will work out for me? i did fiddle with device manager and downloaded from the link u told me but i dont know where to find the downloaded exe file in my computer and how to make it work as adriver for my lumia 520.

VinaySC

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

Hello, control yourself. We are talking about 520, not 820. Most of the people with XP SP3 were unable to connect WP8 devices to their PCs.

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site

Hello, control yourself. We are talking about 520, not 820. Most of the people with XP SP3 were unable to connect WP8 devices to their PCs.

Makes no difference if we are talking about 520 or 820, you said that ANY WP8 device can't be successfully connected to PC running WIN XP SP3 OS, and it isn't truth.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

Its probably time to upgrade your computer,either software to Win7 or the whole thing. Starting in less than a year, Windows XP wil no longer be supported by Microsoft meaning there will be no more software or security updates. If you can afford it, the new computers are leaps and bound better than XP hardware. Its night and day

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

You have to have SP3 and Windows Media Player 11 for the drivers to load using XP. There is no sync software to download. You have to use windows explorer.

Turn the phone all the way off. Connect it to the PC. It will turn on because it is being charged. It will be detected by the PC. Wait for drivers to load, four of them,
Drivers are loaded correctly when you see the phone in windows explorer containing the SD card. Phone has 5 folders, SD card has 3 plus a system folder.

Anyone that says XP can't work with WP8 is wrong.

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

I plugged my 521 into my PC, which is running WinXP with Service Pack 3. I didn't do any special fiddling and windows explorer had no trouble reading and writing files to the device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo