Win XP does not detect Lumia 520?!?

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Whoa guys. I haven't read this whole thread yet because I am about to bang my head on my desk, but Windows Phone 8 works just fine on XP Pro SP3. I plugged mine in and did nothing special.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: win XP does not dectect lumia 520?!?

Windows Phone 8 works with MS Windows XP Pro with SP3. Use Windows File Explorer and Windows Media Player version 11.

AndroidUser33

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site

My sister bought a Nokia 820. She could not connect to a Windows XP PC. She asked me for help and I am flabbergasted at the system. I have had all kind of phones (Androids, Blackberrys, etc.) and never had a problem connecting to a PC. The fact that every "non Windows" phone has no problem connecting to a Windows PC, while a Windows phone resists any attempt to do so shows unbelievable incompetence in the developers. At a minimum, Nokia should have instructions in the manual on how to connect. I have read all the postings on this thread, and nobody seems to have a clue as to how to solve the problem, besides "being lucky".

If you really know how to solve the problem, please provide a driver that one can point to when the OS asks for one after you plug in the USB connector. Otherwise, please stop this nonsense.

Thanks!

NL520

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

Had no problem connecting 520 (RM-915, AT&T GoPhone) to WXP+SP3, W7, or W8.
If a password is set up for the lock screen, remember to enter it after connecting 520 to the PC/laptop.
Before entering the password: the File Explorer would only display an empty "Windows Phone" with no contents.
After entering the password: folders "Phone" and "SD card" (if installed) should show up.

Last edited:

Filipedez

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

I have this same problem... win XP+SP3 only recognizes my lumia as a scanner or something. I can navigate through the files but they are "empty" and i cant copy musics or other files to it...
i'd appreciate any help :/

Ipostaze

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

Finally, after 3 hours at the verge of a nervous breakdown I've got this right.
For some dubious reason Win XP recognized the Lumia 520 as a camera, not a phone. It was listed in device manager under imaging devices, so I could only transfer pictures and no other file types were supported. So I plugged the phone to computer via USB cable, I went to device manager -> imaging devices -> Lumia 520, right click and Uninstall. Unplugged the phone and plugged again and Windows XP recognized the d*mn phone as RM914 - Lumia 520. Then I had acces to both phone and SD card and I could transfer any type of files.
Easy peasy - NOT!

NL520

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

Just wondering if the problem is specific to a 520 model/type or a WP/firmware version. Mine is an AT&T GoPhone (Model 520.2, Type RM-915, that came with WP8.0.10327.77 [aka GDR2], Firmware 3043.... [aka Amber]) and has no problem connecting to WXP+SP3, W7, or W8. What are the model/type and the WP/firmware version of the 520 that is having the problem?

Last edited:

Patchlogan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

Also my Win 7 PC doesn't detect lumia 520
First mistakenly i thought Zune app is the solution, but its'not. Since Zune are meant for XP
I already install "WindowsPhone" and still doesn't work,
change usb connection to the back port, still doesn't work.
already Ask to service center, IT guy there try to connect my lumia 520 to his laptop, still doesn't work. so he give up.

Please somebody tell me what's going on and how to fix this. it has been 4 month since i bought it.

Nandakumar Chavan

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

hi i have Pentium 4 computer and win XP i m unable to connect to my lumia, when attach the usb cable it start charging and two windows pop up one says camera connected next one says new found hardware wizard and lumia appears in scanners and camera section in "my computer", need help please

jason761850

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I had been looking answer couple days for this issue, finally solved. It do work and easy.

I lost the link to web site, it is in chinese and I translated it from Chinese to English. Hope it can help most of people.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The method to install MTP Device (Absolutely working)

The software for most update in Windows SP3 is WMP11. Most people with new WIN XP installation are with WMP11. It will be easy to install MTP Device for those people.
Some problems will be found when using such system. If you have problem to install MTP Device, please follow 3 steps to solve your problem.

Step 1: Uninstalled WMP11 by
a. C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallWMFDist11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe
b. C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe
c. Restart compupter

Step 2. Install WMP11
a. Download ?WindowsMedia Player v11.exe? (official version)
b. Installtion of WMP11 will check your WIN XP system is formal version. If yes, please insall it directly.
c. If Not, please follow
(1) Make sure you have WinRAR software.
(2) Decompress WMP11 to one file holder.
(3) Execute umdf.exe、wmdbexport.exe、wmfdist11.exe、wmp11.exe sequentially, then restart computer, WMP11 will be installed sucessfully.

Step 3.
a. Open device manager
b. Double click MTP device with exclamation mark.
c. Select to update driver
d. Select 3rd item, not to search
e. Select 1st item to install automatically
f. After finish, all done !

Good Luck !

Jason Yang

Note:

1. I'm not sure what the difference of WMP11 between Chinese version and other languages, so please make sure everything is right in step c (3).
2. The result is you can find the Mobile phone in "My Computer" and you can access it as harddisk or removeable disk, My phone is Nokia 520.
3. All other software maybe not good to work with Windows Phone 8, some of files in Windows Phone 8 cannot be accessed.

impratick

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

first install .net framework 4.5 and install zune, it works!!

Sent from my RM-914_im_india_269 using Tapatalk

Raghul Vijay

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

This is very basic and simple. Firstly, install this driver:go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=71641&/umdf.exe,
Update To WINDOWS XP SP3 : Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers from Official Microsoft Download Center
And Install Windows Media Player 11: Download Windows Media Player from Official Microsoft Download Center
Then reboot.
After rebooting the device should be connecting properly. BUT IF IT DOES NOT
go to control panel, click SYSTEM. Then go to the HARDWARE tab. Then Click DEVICE MANAGER.
In Device Manger go to the IMAGING DEVICES TAB. And look for your phone.Eg: Nokia Lumia 520
then right click on it and press UNINSTALL DRIVER. Finally click on the Button on the top which as a icon of a computer and a magnifying glass infront of it. The computer will check for hardware changes and your Phone will 100% connect successfully. If you get a window asking to install driver, IGNORE it.
Good Luck

verben labrador

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site

Not really, I've also had problem with it on Win XP SP3 + WMP 10. There is only one solution. you have to access device manager via My Computer, change its status from Camera to Portable MTP Device or something like that, and then download and install it http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=71641&/umdf.exe + set it manually as a driver to this (Portable MTP Device - your Lumia) device. reboot computer and it should be okay now.

Hi, Sir. I'm trying to follow your advice, but I don't know how to change the status from camera to MTP device. I've been searching in the device manager but can't seem to find it. I can see the Windows Phone Icon from my computer and I can also access its folders, but the main problem is I can't install the software that pops out every time I connect my 520 to PC, its called RM 912| 520 something like that, and I also tried to open the link you provided and it seems its already installed in my PC, can't also connect it through Nokia PC Suite, says it's in non-compatible mode. I Hope you can help me regarding with my problem, Sir.

Lead Sharp

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

my 520 was syncing fine with xp till yesterday, now xp thinks it's a cam and so far NO one has been any help to any one.

Jatin Joshi1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site

Right click on My Computer icon on desktop, select manage. Under device manager you will find option imaging device, Under imaging device you will find Lumia 520. Right click on Lumia 520 and select update driver. Once the driver is updated restart your pc and then you are good to go. Your phone will be displayed at MTP and you can access all files on phone thru PC.

PovilasB

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

Right click on My Computer icon on desktop, select manage. Under device manager you will find option imaging device, Under imaging device you will find Lumia 520. Right click on Lumia 520 and select update driver. Once the driver is updated restart your pc and then you are good to go. Your phone will be displayed at MTP and you can access all files on phone thru PC.
Follow Jatin Joshi1 advice and if you are unable to install the driver for some reason(mine prob was modified windows xp version) just download User-Mode Driver Framework : http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=71641&/umdf.exe
I installed it and whithout reboot pc recognised my Lumia 520 as mobile phone. Solution originally was for Galaxy tab Galaxy TAB P3100. Could it be universal?
SAMSUNG GALAXY PROBLEM AND SOLUTION: connecting samsung Galaxy TAB P3100 to window xp

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs