The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-14-2014 08:31 AM
29 12
tools
    My Lumia 520 is now restarting by itself suddenly the screen will stop responding and when I press the screen lock button two things might happen first it gets fixed and other times it just restarts any thoughts of why is this happening ??
    09-13-2013 07:49 PM
    Hmm. This happens to be a bug that I am also experiencing. It only happens if the phone is very hot. Perhaps, let the phone cool down first? Heavy usage will lead to breakdowns one point or another.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-13-2013 09:14 PM
    I was facing this problems sometime too. As said by Wandering Traveler, it might be because of overheating or heavy usage. Its better to manually switch off the mobile once in a day and let it be off for about 5 - 10 mins and then switch it on again. This is good for the phone as it cools it down, makes the phone fresh and sometimes prevents auto-restart too.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-13-2013 11:11 PM
    Thanks for your feedback guys

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk
    09-15-2013 12:40 PM
    My 520 has started to do this as well, Sometimes when I hit the power button to turn the screen off it will shut down and I have to remove the battery to get it to restart. Not sure whats going on but I hope to get it sorted out.
    09-16-2013 06:55 PM
    Yes it became kind of annoying until i decided to switch of for 15 minutes everyday then it stopped doing this
    09-16-2013 07:06 PM
    Yes it became kind of annoying until i decided to switch of for 15 minutes everyday then it stopped doing this
    Thanks I will try that and see if it helps.
    09-16-2013 07:08 PM
    My 520 does every now and then too.

I'm not in the need of a fix, i'm just worried when i have plans to get another Windows Phone, the same thing doesn't happen.
    09-17-2013 04:35 AM
    Don't worry this mainly happened because of the 512 MB of ram and only 1.0 GHz of processor you are not going to face problems like this on a high end phone like the 1020 or even 820 or 920

09-17-2013 10:41 PM
    Don't worry this mainly happened because of the 512 MB of ram and only 1.0 GHz of processor you are not going to face problems like this on a high end phone like the 1020 or even 820 or 920
    Lack of memory should not cause a phone to freeze or reboot. The OS should manage memory and shut down inactive (or even active) apps to free up necessary space.
    From the posts above, it sounds like an OS bug (maybe a memory leak?) or a hardware issue with the 520.
    09-23-2013 08:08 AM
    My 520 has started to do this as well, Sometimes when I hit the power button to turn the screen off it will shut down and I have to remove the battery to get it to restart. Not sure whats going on but I hope to get it sorted out.
    Having this exact same issue. Also, if the battery died and I connect it to the charger to charge, when it is fully charged and I unplug it and then attempt to turn it on, it refuses to power on unless I first remove the battery and then power it on.
    09-23-2013 01:38 PM
    Loose battery!!!! Had same problems but cured it by placing a small piece of card under battery to make it a firmer fit solved it....
    09-23-2013 02:27 PM
    Loose battery!!!! Had same problems but cured it by placing a small piece of card under battery to make it a firmer fit solved it....
    Cool I will try it. Thanks
    09-23-2013 04:17 PM
    Lack of memory should not cause a phone to freeze or reboot. The OS should manage memory and shut down inactive (or even active) apps to free up necessary space.
    From the posts above, it sounds like an OS bug (maybe a memory leak?) or a hardware issue with the 520.

yep your probably right

09-24-2013 07:26 PM
    I think its my power button, When my phone won't turn on I was removing the battery to get it to start. Yesterday instead of removing the battery to start it I held down the camera button and it started.
    09-25-2013 08:48 AM
    Hi,

I'm having the same problem with my Nokia Lumia 520, where it just randomly turns itself off. However, I did drop it, but it did this before I dropped it. I have had the screen replaced (by carphone warehouse) and the problem has got worse. Now if it turns itself off, and I turn it on and it's reset itself, it doesn't update my messages or alarms! I have to delete the conversation in order to get a new message and for it to show a sent message. Also, I have to turn my alarm off and back on again! I tried using the folded paper trick, but didn't really understand where to place it, as it worked for a bit, but then ultimately the problem returned. So is this 'normal' with the phone turning itself off and resetting itself? But it's definitely batter related, as mentioned previously, in connection with the initial restart/shut down.

Any help greatly appreciated! And already checked Nokia, I can't claim it off the warranty :\.
    09-27-2013 02:08 AM
    Sophie,
    With the phone laid on its back place the paper/card underneath the battery so that when reinserting it the connections are pushed upwards towards the pins.This makes refitting the case a tighter fit, needing more pressure on the edges to close it. Worked for me...
    Bob
    09-27-2013 04:53 PM
    Hey I fixed mine, I used a needle to bend the battery contacts inwards making a better connection on the pins... Problem solved no more shut downs or restarts....
    XP1 likes this.
    10-07-2013 01:18 PM
    It worked for me too, I had gone so far to get the firmware reinstalled by Nokia Care, but this was THE solution!

Somewhere else I read that the problem could also be that some phones have troubles in switching to and from 2G and 3G, disabling 3G could be the solution in these cases... but try with the paper first ;-)
    10-12-2013 08:50 AM
    I think it would work with card but wouldn't there be a high chance that your phone would set on fire if you have paper next to the battery when it heats up?
    11-10-2013 02:44 PM
    has anyone noticed that this problem started only after Amber update ... ? yes i am also experiencing the same problem and my phone restarts way too much coz i am constantly on 3g ...now solving the problem using a card/paper ? i am not sure about it coz for me it started after the Amber ..still will give this a shot too .
    11-12-2013 09:13 AM
    Only seeing this thread now. I am having this problem at the moment but have the added issue that sometimes it seems to wipe the time setting and goes back to a date in July 2013. Anyone having this problem too??
    01-31-2014 09:55 AM
    I've only had this 520 for 3 days, it too is powering off and rebooting randomly. I've been doing some investigations at this end. Currently at work, the phone is plugged into the computer via USB and sat on the desk (i.e. no movement or vibration). the battery is fully charged. I have . 'pinched' the terminals on the battery together for a tighter fit, and wedged folded paper up under the battery and even tried roughing the phone up a bit to test for loose battery connections.
    If I switch the wifi on, it does a search and connects to an available network here which on this phone seems to be 'the cloud'. Once connected it powers off within seconds.... it's on and off like a yo yo. I'm constantly seeing little sync windows pop up on the laptop. If I turn wifi 'off'... it sits there quite happily for hours (like it has done this morning, and the last 15 minutes since last disabling wifi.
    Not sure if this is of any use to anyone, but that's what's going on at this end.
    Anyone got any ideas on this test ? I'm curious about the 512Mb RAM comment above but don't know enough about IT to understand the relation between that and memory drains when connecting to wifi.
    I've not tested this phone elsewhere or on other wifi networks.
    I installed all available updates yesterday morning (21/2/14). Can't say whether the problem existed prior t this as I only brought the phone into this building at work yesterday. I do know that it was fine on the day I bought it (the day before) but I was on the road for most of the time using the sat nav with plenty of vibration in the car and no tweaks to the battery area as listed above (done yesterday afternoon)
    It was fine at home last night too other than resetting the time by about 5 hours. I'm on the verge of taking it back to the store.
    No apps installed other than Here Drive to replace the 'beta' version that came with the phone.
    Last edited by Chris Hartford; 02-22-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: extra info on phone history
    02-22-2014 08:01 AM
    If the date and time are wiped then you must have removed the battery without shutting off the phone
    Last edited by Ahmed Hassan7; 02-22-2014 at 09:35 AM.
    02-22-2014 09:23 AM
    I've been having this problem ever since I bought the phone and I even had it sent to Nokia Service but they sent it back saying there was no problem. I just hate how these phones seem to malfunction and Nokia simply does not do anything to fix it. I don't think we should add "papers" to provide a better fit for the battery, or use needles to fix the little connectors...Nokia should just remove this phone from the market and fix the problems.
    03-09-2014 04:14 PM
29 12