Hello, I'm new to this stuff...finally got my long lusted after Nokia Lumia 520 from amazon...unlocked it. I have been tethering internet via a grandfathered unlimited ATT data plan from a Sony Ericsson Walkman phone for over three years now. I cut my sim down and inserted it into my windows phone. Internet sharing not working. I am also unable to load websites in IE, however I can make calls and use texts. The only reason I bought this phone is to continue to tether internet except I wanted higher speeds and the ability to connect more than the current two devices I am able to with my feature phone. I would appreciate any help in getting this to work. I have jailbroken ios before. I am willing to flash or modify or hack my phone beyond recognition, I just need someone who knows more than me to tell me what to do. Thanks!
    10-16-2013 08:41 AM
    You have to pay for tethering now through AT&T.
    10-16-2013 08:51 AM
    I tether already...and pay for unlimited data.
    10-16-2013 08:57 AM
    I tether already...and pay for unlimited data.
    That's because they can't tell your older phone is tethering. Unlimited data is now 2.5GB (or 3.0 GB, I can't remember the cutoff now) through AT&T, after 2.5GB they throttle you to 2G Data.

Addendum: http://forums.windowscentral.com/off...e/186873-2.htm This was starting to happen with the unlimited plan so AT&T changed the Unlimited Rules.
    Last edited by palandri; 10-16-2013 at 09:22 AM.
    10-16-2013 09:01 AM
    ATT does not seem to have an unlimited plan while T Mobile does, so I am considering switching over. As far as the Lumia, is there anything that can be done to force it to internet share through a hack or some kind of alteration?
    10-16-2013 09:32 AM
    ATT does not seem to have an unlimited plan while T Mobile does, so I am considering switching over. As far as the Lumia, is there anything that can be done to force it to internet share through a hack or some kind of alteration?
    AT&T considers it a theft of service. I've seen posts on the net where people thought they found a way around it, only to discover they had their account changed by AT&T and were charged for tethering. It's where AT&T is now. You have to pay for tethering.

I don't tether, but I am pretty sure T-Mobile also charges now for tethering, like $10 a month (I think).
    10-16-2013 09:41 AM
    When I still had unlimited with Verizon, I did have to pay the $20/month for tethering. That's why I went to the share everything plan where the mobile hotspot is included.
    10-16-2013 09:46 AM
    Through these forums, I was able to learn how to use Nokia Care Suite to download another rom for my phone. This made it so I was able to use IE and other apps. But still no internet sharing. I then used other people's suggestions and downloaded a foreign language, restarted, uninstalled the language, and internet sharing works. Fast internet now on my laptop. Thought I was in the clear. 4 hours later, the ATT bastards sent me a text saying I would have to add a $30 dollar data plan to keep using my smart phone. I tried calling them up to plead ignorance, "oh, I no know what dis a means. I just use regula phone for many year." Go figure the ONE time I wish I got overseas support, is the only time an American has EVER answered the phone for any product I EVER called about. So of course he was actually smart enough to realize what was going on and even told me the model of the Lumia before I said anything. I will try again later to see if I can get foreign tech support and just use circumlocution and language barriers to get them to never charge me for the smart phone data plan.

If not I have a solid plan. T Mobile and Metro PCS offer unlimited data plans with unlimited voice and texting for 50 and 40, respectively. It is throttled but it is better than ATT's fake data plans that charge overages after a certain amount. Flash the phone back to stock and go with one of those two. Bye ATT.
    10-17-2013 03:34 PM