Nokia Drive - Excessive data usage.

Beleroo

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
This may be of help to anyone who has ANY model of Nokia Lumia and has issues with their data bundle (AND MORE) being used.

I have had it confirmed to day (20 Nov 2013) from a Nokia manager, that there is an application called DRIVE BETA that is installed onto EVERY Nokia Lumia phone (whatever model)

This application does not need activating. This app is running constantly in the background and in my case used masses of data. My data bundle was 1.5 GB, it used this and LOADS more and I have been left with bills for data which total ?150 (don't watch, stream, download and facebook 2/3 times (5 mins) a week)

I have e-mailed Nokia several times and was bounced about, it was only after writing on NOKIA'S facebook page that my query was escalated to a complaint.

I'm not very techno but I did not ask for this app, want it, or activate it and didn't have any knowledge that it was running.

Complaints manager from Nokia said I should have seen the app and turned it off. I had no knowledge about this, so how would I know to turn it off!
Only thing I can do now is hope the following will help any others in my situation.
(talked through from very helpful Microsoft online helper- if you're struggling, give them a call/online chat)

Ronika D.: Please go to Settings>applications >background tasks > There you should see a list. Any Sign of Data Sense in there?. if so can you tap on it and open it?

Ronika D.: click on set limit (eg... monthly/prepaid/1GB/15th) - whatever your bundle/bills are basically). Then please confirm that with the tick and that will take you back to the main screen of data sense.

Ronika D.: Do you have a tickbox for "Restrict background data when I'm near my limit"?. If so tick it (That way, the app will just automatically turn everything WAY down, when your limit is about to be reached)

Ronika D.: Now please go back to the list view of applications. There, you will have "background tasks" as well. Please open that and check if you have anything set to "allowed".

THIS IS WHERE IT GET'S INTERESTING......
ME: yes I have something set to allowed.... HERE Drive Beta

Ronika D.: ohh dear, that is a big one, that would eat lots, I'm afraid. That's a map, it's basically a SatNav

ME: it must have been pre installed as I've never used it

Ronika D.: Yes, it comes with every Nokia Phone (or almost every)... but you might want to uninstall it or at least not allow it to run in the background

ME: most definitely as my bills have been ?100s of pounds.... I've uninstalled that and a here maps.

Ronika D.: So the app you uninstalled just now (those were the maps) even took up a HUGE amount of data, just by uninstalling them...

Ronika D.: that goes to show how much they must have eaten in the background while they were still running...

Ronika D.: And, this way, now that you know you have this app, you can always keep an eye on what's going on with your data.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
What about people who are with ATT and don't have Data Sense because Microsoft allowed ATT to disable it??? Without it there is no way to set data usage limits and restrictions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans