Is gdr3 available for lumia 520 ?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
As per Microsoft, all current WP8 devices will be upgradable to Update 3, and later, Windows Phone 8.1. However, it is up to the manufacturer and/or carrier to decide if they want to release the update.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a 520.
Just bought it a week ago...

My OS version is: 8.0.10328.78
Firmware version : 3046.0000.1329.2004

I'm assuming that ISN'T the gdr3 version yet ?

I must say (although it's always been that way) that the annoucnements for such updates are ALWAYS very very vague,
and users usually have no idea what so ever when an update finally gets released by either a carrier or a vendor...

Last year they said GDR3 was coming Q3 2013, now it's Q1 2014, but could be that some carriers won't release it while others will...etc...
Like I said, the info they give us is pretty useless.

Anyway, does anyone actually know if this update will be available soon in Europe ?
I'm waiting for this, mainly for the custom sms tones that SHOULD be enabled by this update (again, I'm not "that" sure it is really the case)

Also, final question: could I use the gdr3 preview update for my phone, and are there downfalls to this update, and where can I find it ?

Many thanks for whoever can "enlighten" this "noobie". ;)

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
genuine555, you have the Lumia Amber update.

Nokia had a support page indicating the status of Lumia Amber updates for different phones and countries during the time Amber was seeding. I am sure they will have a support page for the Lumia Black update as well. The update should come in this quarter, but only Nokia knows for sure. And if carriers are involved, it may get delayed further.

Update 3 contains some new features and some improved ones (including custom notification tones) and you will be able to install it on your Lumia 520. If you install it now, you will have the lastest OS update. If you wait for Nokia to release it, you will get Update 3 along with the Lumia Black firmware. It is up to you. As for where you can find it, there are several threads which detail the process involved in upgrading your OS to the Uodate 3 preview.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that out. So it won't be detrimental in any way if I choose to update now with the preview ?

Also I seem to be missing the call black feature. It is not there. Could it be a constriction from my provider ? But then still the option although not working, should be there no ?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I do not think it will be detrimental, but then I haven't upgraded my phone. People who have upgraded their phones with Update 3 will be able to help you better.

If you have an international variant, you should have a call+SMS filter. Make sure you have all the system updates, especially extras+info.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I do not think it will be detrimental, but then I haven't upgraded my phone. People who have upgraded their phones with Update 3 will be able to help you better.

If you have an international variant, you should have a call+SMS filter. Make sure you have all the system updates, especially extras+info.

Hey, I managed to find out why I didn't have the feature yet. I didn't yet have the OS updates, coming from Nokia.
They can't force the updates through the store, so you have to check them yourself.

Real quick if you follow this link :

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...nokia-app-settings-updates-qr-code-links.html

Just QR the links and you are directed to the apps in the store. Just press install or update each time.

Also, apparently flashing the preview would void the waranty, so I'll sit back and wait a while longer for the official rol out.

pedrodg28

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Install the developer preview, i have it on my 520 and the only regret i have is not doing it before, improved multi tasking, custom sounds for ringtone, message, email, voicemail, rotation lock, alll that is with microsoft update, the nokia "black" is an update that has both gdr3 and nokia updates, though i don't know what will improve nokia, i mean, you can get all the cools features with the preview.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Install the developer preview, i have it on my 520 and the only regret i have is not doing it before, improved multi tasking, custom sounds for ringtone, message, email, voicemail, rotation lock, alll that is with microsoft update, the nokia "black" is an update that has both gdr3 and nokia updates, though i don't know what will improve nokia, i mean, you can get all the cools features with the preview.

Hey, that is interesting.

But as I understand, installing the preview voids the warranty, so I can understand some ppl (incl. me) not wanting to.

But as far as the nokia black updates are concerned, I don't think we should be expecting much else then a few additional details here and there in the nokia software. They are all just updates on the nokia apps and features that can be forced through the store.

Like you say, the big bells and wistles are in the gdr3 update. But as I said, I rather wait a little while and keep the waranty for now.

pedrodg28

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hey, that is interesting.

But as I understand, installing the preview voids the warranty, so I can understand some ppl (incl. me) not wanting to.

But as far as the nokia black updates are concerned, I don't think we should be expecting much else then a few additional details here and there in the nokia software. They are all just updates on the nokia apps and features that can be forced through the store.

Like you say, the big bells and wistles are in the gdr3 update. But as I said, I rather wait a little while and keep the waranty for now.

If you ever need your waranty you can flash your original rom back, then send it.

Donnell Garcia

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
How can I install the developer preview and what are the pros and cons of installing the developer preview aside the warranty? Thanks for the answer! :D

pedrodg28

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Here,this is the tutorial that i followed, you don't need an unlocked phone, there's is a way(is in the tutorial) to register for developing for free: nokianesia blog: Try GDR 3 / Update 3 Developer Preview for Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8

As for cons and pros, for my case, i consider myself lucky, so far, i have zero bugs, i fact, i have only gained new features and the phone is improved, before the gdr3, my phone would restart it's self at least once in a week, but after i updated, no more restarting, also, my phone used to heat a lot when using 3g and browsing,that doesn't happend anymore. There's a post here in wpcentral with the developer preview bugs, you should check it, oh, and now there's a status bar during the update, so you can now know how long it will take :)

Last edited:

Donnell Garcia

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Here,this is the tutorial that i followed, you don't need an unlocked phone, there's is a way(is in the tutorial) to register for developing for free: nokianesia blog: Try GDR 3 / Update 3 Developer Preview for Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 8

As for cons and pros, for my case, i consider myself lucky, so far, i have zero bugs, i fact, i have only gained new features and the phone is improved, before the gdr3, my phone would restart it's self at least once in a week, but after i updated, no more restarting, also, my phone used to heat a lot when using 3g and browsing,that doesn't happend anymore. There's a post here in wpcentral with the developer preview bugs, you should check it, oh, and now there's a status bar during the update, so you can now know how long it will take :)
Thank you so much for the instructions! I will try it now! Haha!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon