music eq problem

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm also surprized at the sound quality. Was buggered for not having the eq, but using these sony in-ear buds, it sounds amazingly clear and full.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-ED12...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2284148

In fact, with the same headphones, the 520 sounds way better than the 710. Much more clear and much less distortion.
I always longed for an eq on the 710, because of the poor quality, but now I don't really miss it at all.

Albert Fish

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
EQ are for douchebags. In real life situation.. you don't need eq.. I mean the tracks are well produced nowadays.. Get a decent pair of headphones.. and there you go!

(Trust me I'm working in the music production industry)

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Part of that is true, but only part (trust me, I USED to work in the music industry). Mastering doesn't solely account for a clear sounding track. If the system outputting the mastered signal is CRAP, the song will also sound crap, and even if you use a good set of cans, it will sound pretty bad.

And then one more thing: no-one working in the music industry says eq is for DB's, cause EQ is the most important thing in ANY music production. Every production after the first sequencing stages, STARTS with EQ and ends with EQ in the mastering stages (mostly eq, and compression which is just a sophisticated way of eq-ing). But without EQ, you can't have a decent production, and you sure as heck can't have a decent mastering. So eq isn't for douchebags, rather for professionals.

And I mentioned I used the same headphones with the Lumia 710 and the 520...and the 710 sounds crap while the 520 sounds good, listening to the same mastered songs. So even with a good mastered track and a decent set of cans, if the system outputting the signal is crap, the track will sound crap.

Just to clarify for anyone not really understanding the "complete" signal-path being affected by the quality of the track, the headphones but also the system outputting the signal TO the headphones.

So I stand my ground in saying that the older 710 DOES need an eq.

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Part of that is true, but only part (trust me, I USED to work in the music industry). Mastering doesn't solely account for a clear sounding track. If the system outputting the mastered signal is CRAP, the song will also sound crap, and even if you use a good set of cans, it will sound pretty bad.

And then one more thing: no-one working in the music industry says eq is for DB's, cause EQ is the most important thing in ANY music production. Every production after the first sequencing stages, STARTS with EQ and ends with EQ in the mastering stages (mostly eq, and compression which is just a sophisticated way of eq-ing). But without EQ, you can't have a decent production, and you sure as heck can't have a decent mastering. So eq isn't for douchebags, rather for professionals.

And I mentioned I used the same headphones with the Lumia 710 and the 520...and the 710 sounds crap while the 520 sounds good, listening to the same mastered songs. So even with a good mastered track and a decent set of cans, if the system outputting the signal is crap, the track will sound crap.

Just to clarify for anyone not really understanding the "complete" signal-path being affected by the quality of the track, the headphones but also the system outputting the signal TO the headphones.

So I stand my ground in saying that the older 710 DOES need an eq.

I have a 920, and a 520, and the loss of an equalizer is my biggest wound. Headphones these days are usually bass heavy, so I just lower the bass, and up the treble. I'm no audiophile, but I am pretty picky about my music. Blackened Thrash metal and melodic death metal sound very bad when headphones are bass heavy. I totally feel for you.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a 920, and a 520, and the loss of an equalizer is my biggest wound. Headphones these days are usually bass heavy, so I just lower the bass, and up the treble. I'm no audiophile, but I am pretty picky about my music. Blackened Thrash metal and melodic death metal sound very bad when headphones are bass heavy. I totally feel for you.

The problem is that most headsets, aswel as speakers, are aimed at a "listening" end-user audience, and thus are all hyped, either on the low end, or lows and highs with tempered mids, or other frequencies adjusted...al to improve the "listening" experience for the end-user.

This can sometimes be an improvement, but in some cases works adversively.

For instance, when producing a sound or a track, other "kinds" of speakers and headsets are used, professional monitors and headsets, aimed at a professional user-audience that needs audio to sound as true as possible in regards of freq-spectrum, and thus those high-end devices are not hyped, and reflect all frequencies 100% true. If a track then is produced and mastered WELL, than it will sound well on those professional speakers, as they present the sound in its true frequential reflection. But that doesn't always fly with end-user desktop speakers or "audiophile" headsets...and there lies the "rub"...take into the equasion the hardware that processes the sound to the speakers or headset, and you have the "mess" (the differences in quality) we all experience from device to device.

The issue these days is NOT the production or mastering stage of music. As said by Jack, those are done WELL compared to a decade ago, but the real issue lies at the end-user "end", where every "company" has their rules of thumb to "improve" the listening experience for end-users, BUT with the LOWEST possible costs...and again...there lies the "rub".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb