Stopping production of 520

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Now that the 525 is on the market what are the odds that the 520 will be removed from production. They are so close to each other in specs it does not seem prudent to keep both in production. Any thoughts.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I doubt they will. There is almost a $100 difference in price between the devices. I think they will keep the 520 for some specific markets to hit a price mark.

Lloydbm4

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Now that the 525 is on the market what are the odds that the 520 will be removed from production. They are so close to each other in specs it does not seem prudent to keep both in production. Any thoughts.
They are the exact same phone in every way, except for the RAM. In other words, they will simply drop the 520 name in favor of the 525. Nokia doesn't need to retool the production line in the slightest. They just change the RAM chip for a 1gb version which is identical in size and shape to the 512mb version. Easy.

Lloydbm4

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe another 512 mb of ram costs $100 bucks. Is it apple ram or something?

It doesn't. Microsoft has to eat the foreign country taxes (VAT and so on) and it can only make that money back by hiking up the price of the phone. (It still doesn't equal $100 worth, but I imagine they are trying to make extra cash before the phone hits the US and the price drops.)

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I guest it comes down to how little they can keep the price increase with the upgrade in ram. The 520 is perfect for the feature phone people (40%+) of the cell phone market to use as a upgrade. The 60 to 75$ range is pretty easy for these people to swallow. The 200$ (but I read where in China the 520 is selling for 100$) is not. When the price got to 59.99$ I bought one as a backup for my 820. Got a nifty red back cover for it and my wife decided she wanted it to replace her flip phone even though her flip phone cost 150$. I got another and my daughter took it in less than a week. Again she was replacing a flip phone that cost alot more than the 520. So I still don't have a backup for my 820 (which I like a great deal). Its small for a smartphone, has the same insides as the 9XX series, has a SD card slot, which the 9XX's do not. I have a 7" and a 8.9" tablet so I have plenty of screen for browsing and games with my tablets and I like a small smartphone. If they ever release the 525 for the US I would be first in line to get one for a backup.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I guest it comes down to how little they can keep the price increase with the upgrade in ram. The 520 is perfect for the feature phone people (40%+) of the cell phone market to use as a upgrade. The 60 to 75$ range is pretty easy for these people to swallow. The 200$ (but I read where in China the 520 is selling for 100$) is not. When the price got to 59.99$ I bought one as a backup for my 820. Got a nifty red back cover for it and my wife decided she wanted it to replace her flip phone even though her flip phone cost 150$. I got another and my daughter took it in less than a week. Again she was replacing a flip phone that cost alot more than the 520. So I still don't have a backup for my 820 (which I like a great deal). Its small for a smartphone, has the same insides as the 9XX series, has a SD card.

You're wrong that 520 has same insides as 920. Definitely not. 920 is Nokia's lumia wp8 flagship of 2012 and is better than 520 in every way. Performance,camera, battery life, build quality, storage capacity(has 32gb inbuilt but no external storage) , screen quality, screen resolution, memory size are all better than 520. It has a premium look and is built like a tank. 520 is a cheaper but I'd say overall experience in os is very similar inspire of the price difference! That's the best part isn't it

I'm surprised 525 is not yet released in the u.s yet!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

xenbian

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
My mother loves her 520, due to my 1020, there is a big market for only sim and affordable smatphones for old and very young or less fortunate ones. Keep them both in I would guess!

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Read my post again. Never said the 520 had the same inside as the 920. I said the 820 had the same insides as the 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon