SMS alert tones for 520

Radioham

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The traditional - dit dit dit, dah dah, dit dit dit tone for an incoming text message is distinctive and more audible than anything on offer in the Windows/Nokia selection (in my opinion). I have recorded the alert in Windows as suggested in the Nokia manual in both a Wav and a MP3 format. On transferring the recording via usb lead to the 'Ringtone' section, it works perfectly - BUT ONLY AS a telephone alert. It does not seem possible to copy/move the recording to the TEXT alert folder.

Anybody have any ideas??

Radioham

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Yes that is true, but on my phone at least that folder is divided into Phone/new text or IM/New voicemail/new email.
You cannot use an item in the Ringtone file for anything in another file - I cannot import my recording into the 'Text' file or drag it there. This seems to be odd for a Windows operating system.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
That is odd. On my L521, I have just the Ringtones folder and I can drag any mp3 I want into it and set it as any ringtone I want, Calls, Msgs, Alerts.... without any length limitations or anything.

Radioham

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
When I access the 'Settings' folder on the phone via USB and Win. Explorer on my PC, I can select Ringtones but this folder does not open into the individual sub folders for the phone/ text/voice mail/email. If I could, there would be no problem. Each of these headings have their own selection of sounds which cannot be moved. You only appear to have the facility to import a recorded sound into the main folder which by default goes to the phone section. NUTS!

Thanks for your time

Boris Lozac

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
That is odd. On my L521, I have just the Ringtones folder and I can drag any mp3 I want into it and set it as any ringtone I want, Calls, Msgs, Alerts.... without any length limitations or anything.

Do you have GDR3 developers preview or Black already? If not, then you're misleading cause it's not possible.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Do you have GDR3 developers preview or Black already? If not, then you're misleading cause it's not possible.

Yes, I have GDR3 and did not ask poster assuming he was up to date to be able to use msg tones. No I am not trying to mislead anyone and if you have better input then wouldn't it make more sense to help the poster with his issue instead of trying to find fault with me?

BTW, my phone works exactly as described.

Radioham

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi
My phone is a Nokia Lumia 520 - black in colour but I think you may be talking about type of software when you refer to Lumia Black. Mine is '' Windows Phone 8.0 Lumia Amber Release. I have since tried right clicking the Ringtone Folder but it still refuses to open into the sub folders/files.

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi
My phone is a Nokia Lumia 520 - black in colour but I think you may be talking about type of software when you refer to Lumia Black. Mine is '' Windows Phone 8.0 Lumia Amber Release. I have since tried right clicking the Ringtone Folder but it still refuses to open into the sub folders/files.

This would explain why you can't choose custom msg tones. Custom msg tones are only available for phones running GDR3, GDR3 Developer Preview or Lumia Black.

I apologize for the confusion before. Going by your original question I mistakenly assumed you were running a newer version than Amber.

Radioham

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks for your response - now we know. Do you know if 'amber' updates to 'black'? I realise that the 520 is essentially a budget phone relative to the many smartphones on the market but I would have thought that existing software could easily be carried over.

Regards

Radioham

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks. I spoke with Nokia today and they confirmed that with Amber you can only use the tones from the preloaded selection for TEXT/IM, Email & voicemail. Also that the Black update will be available for Amber versions - guess we will just have to wait!

Regards

Radioham

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Now have Black update and imported 'sounds' now go into a 'Custom' section so I have transferred my preferred alert into my Text/IM folder.

Sanity restored.

Regards

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb