New to 520 and smartphones - learning resources (UK) ???

mike160304

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I am new here.

I've been on Windows 7 PCs, never had a smartphone, I have ordered a 520. I am not a natural with PCs etc., my youth had Muffin the Mule, not smartphones.

"Box contents" mentions a "manual" - a starter guide, I guess? Does it come with a bigger on-phone manual, or a PDF manual?

Or is YouTube the best resource?

Is it true that the wake-up alarm does not work with the phone switched off?

Is it worthwhile to install a more powerful battery?

Regards,
Mike

vaultsurvivor

May 6, 2013
Visit site
From what I remember of my 920, the in box manual is good for basics (how to turn on/text message) but wont explain a lot of tips and tricks. A lot of that can be done through experimenting. Youtube is a pretty good resource (and so is windows phone central!), but there are full user guides on nokias website. Just bing/google lumia 520 manual and it should come up. Because the 520 is lower end, your battery should be fine. Don't judge it off your first weeks use (you'll play with it more and the phone needs to learn the battery to be accurate), give it a couple of weeks and then see. A spare might be needed but if youre not a heavy user then probably not. And no, the alarm wont sound if the phone is off; if my battery is low at night i normally just stick it on charge just to be safe :D.

mike160304

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all that, very helpful. About the alarm: if I set the alarm and leave the phone switched on overnight, is it costing me the earth because it is automatically updating its files etc from the Internet?
Regards,
Mike

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
My main point of advice is to take care when setting up your Microsoft account, xbox account and Skype accounts. MS tend to make changes to key factors hard to change later. Choose a good xbox gamer tag, you'll get one free chance to change the default then they charge. Your xbox account actually holds all windows store (windows 8) and windows phone store purchases as well as media and xbox games. You are truly locked to your xbox account. When you log in to your accounts on your phone they will merge. Make sure to log in with your pre prepared Skype account or you could end up with a random Skype name glued to your Microsoft account.

Get these accounts set up right, and you can experiment away. Ungluing mistakes can be difficult. For example, the only way to separate an xbox account (where the money is) from an MS account is with an xbox console (borrowed a friends 360 to do it, can't speak for the one). Even then you'll need a month waiting period. Get it right at the start then enjoy in a relaxed fashion.

Oh and get WiFi for your home, or get a decent sized 3G/4G monthly allowance. You just have to accept this, with a smart phone.

mike160304

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, AndyCalling, I don't want Xbox or Skype, so I shall just avoid them, but I'll take your point about getting it right first time in other areas. Software writers seem to love putting us into "Now get out of that!" situations.
Regards,
Mike

vaultsurvivor

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Probably not, and you can stop it updating as well. Personally (to save battery as well as money) I turn off my wifi/3g when im not using them. This can be done in either mobile network (data on/off) or by turning WiFi off. Then it definitely wont do anything! Live tiles will update when connected but use a very small amount of data, you can disable any app from running im the background via settings however, meaning it wont use battery or update your tile/use data without you knowing. I have most of my apps disabled if i don't have a tile pinned cos otherwise they can destroy your battery... Like I said though, the amounts of data it will use in the background are very small, and the data sense app will give you a very accurate idea of what's been using your data. Sorry for rambling...

mike160304

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
. . . . . Choose a good xbox gamer tag, you'll get one free chance to change the default then they charge. Your xbox account actually holds all windows store (windows 8) and windows phone store purchases as well as media and xbox games . . . . .

What's a "good xbox gamer tag", I've never been there? I have to sign on to xbox, otherwise I can't get at non-xbox apps in general, is that right?

mike160304

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
. . . . . . .you can disable any app from running im the background via settings however, meaning it wont use battery or update your tile/use data without you knowing. I have most of my apps disabled if i don't have a tile pinned . . . . .

Thanks . . . You are not rambling, "disabling" functions seems to be the key to cost control. I shall be on Tesco Pay-As-You-Go, where they give me ?20 extra when I top-up for ?10 - it's the real deal for careful spenders. I am sure that the 520 has dozens of "busybody" programs that I don't want to see or hear from. I am a simple email-and-Internet person. "Syncing" will be limited to plugging the USB cable into my Desktop or Laptop PC. :smile:

jibzoiderz

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
if your phone is off then the alarms off.............but you can sleep your phone which acts the same way as a phone turned off but with alarm on!

vaultsurvivor

May 6, 2013
Visit site
The xbox gamer tag thing is really minor. Basically, when you first set up your Microsoft account on your phone you get to choose a nickname that will show up if you play xbox games on your phone. I already had one so I didn't have to. Its really not anything important, just make sure its not something you hate...

vaultsurvivor

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Also, the only stuff I have update in the background is bing news and bing weather (and some social media stuff. Things like email will update, but you get to choose the frequency or do it manually if you like! Hope you enjoy your 520, and welcome to windows phone!

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
You will need an xbox account, as that's where all your purchases sit. It is not just about gaming (though the 'tag' basically is). You will need one if you want to buy stuff from the store. If you don't make one then one with a default tag must be made for you.

It may look like app or in fact all purchases are linked to your MS account. They are not (directly). They actually link to your xbox account. You will need one if you ever want to buy an app.

George Jenkinson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
In connection with the manual, I find playing with the phone is the best option, especially when brand new - you have no numbers, texts or emails that you can delete by mistake! Also, if you bought from Carphone Warehouse, you can ask them as many question as you like in their shops. They have a "walk out working" promise.

Also, if you have WiFi in your house, you can play around with the phone to your heart's content without using any data allowance on your P-A-Y-G sim card. (In other words, you don't need to put your SIM card in your phone to make it work in regards to setting it up and learning how you do things on it. You can't call/receive calls or send/receive texts without the SIM card in the phone, but I think these are the only two things that won't work without the SIM)

Lastly, Tesco may have attractive Top-Up rates, but I would (almost!) guarantee that Three's 3-2-1 SIM only deal is unbeatable - 3p/minute talk, 2p per text and 1p per MB of data! The only downside is whether they have good coverage where you live.

I've just bought my mother the 520 and she thinks it amazing. Hope you enjoy it as much as she does!

mike160304

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
The xbox gamer tag thing is really minor. Basically, when you first set up your Microsoft account on your phone you get to choose a nickname that will show up if you play xbox games on your phone. I already had one so I didn't have to. Its really not anything important, just make sure its not something you hate...

Thanks - no real problem there then!
Mike

mike160304

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Also, the only stuff I have update in the background is bing news and bing weather (and some social media stuff. Things like email will update, but you get to choose the frequency or do it manually if you like! Hope you enjoy your 520, and welcome to windows phone!

Thanks, it's always good to know that "busybody" software can be sent to sleep.
Mike.

mike160304

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
You will need an xbox account, as that's where all your purchases sit. It is not just about gaming (though the 'tag' basically is). You will need one if you want to buy stuff from the store. If you don't make one then one with a default tag must be made for you.

It may look like app or in fact all purchases are linked to your MS account. They are not (directly). They actually link to your xbox account. You will need one if you ever want to buy an app.

Thanks, that's very clearly explained (why don't manuals do this)?
Mike

mike160304

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
In connection with the manual, I find playing with the phone is the best option, especially when brand new - you have no numbers, texts or emails that you can delete by mistake! Also, if you bought from Carphone Warehouse, you can ask them as many question as you like in their shops. They have a "walk out working" promise.

Also, if you have WiFi in your house, you can play around with the phone to your heart's content without using any data allowance on your P-A-Y-G sim card. (In other words, you don't need to put your SIM card in your phone to make it work in regards to setting it up and learning how you do things on it. You can't call/receive calls or send/receive texts without the SIM card in the phone, but I think these are the only two things that won't work without the SIM)

Lastly, Tesco may have attractive Top-Up rates, but I would (almost!) guarantee that Three's 3-2-1 SIM only deal is unbeatable - 3p/minute talk, 2p per text and 1p per MB of data! The only downside is whether they have good coverage where you live.

I've just bought my mother the 520 and she thinks it amazing. Hope you enjoy it as much as she does!

Thanks - very helpful, I had not clearly understood that it will do most things on WiFi.

I have not ordered from Carphone Warehouse but they might help me anyway if I look polite, old and confused (which should not be difficult)! :smile:

I have a confession - I ordered from Simply Electronics, before reading about their reputation on the Internet. I am not usually so careless. But my credit card provider has promised me help if I need it. Actually I bought a camera case from them in 2011, returned it for refund and had no problem. It seems to be mainly their delivery promises that are fictional.
Mike

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos