Can't get sms tones from the pc onto the phone..

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
TRied putting them in "Ringtones" folder, "Ringtonen", "Beltonen" ...

THe never show up in the list in options ringtones ans alerts...

Please help ???

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
So i drop the rightones in a folder on pc, and usblink the device to the pc.

In explorer I copy them all into the sd-card of the device, in the folder Ringtones.

Disconnect with pc, and then check on lumia, but there are no custom sounds added in the list in settings for ringtones...

Help ?? please.?

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I believe we can only use the SMS tones that came pre-installed on our phones but the ability to add custom tones will come (hopefully) either with the Black update currently being rolled out or the WP 8.1 OS update coming this year.

I have the black, so that's why i asked....

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
No one can tell me from pc to phone which folders i should put them in ? Or simply copy them into the root of the phone ?
I copied them all into "Ringtones" on phone storage, but nothing in the settings list...tried 5x now.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can'( get ) sms tones from the pc onto the phone..

You need Black w/GDR3 to use custom tones for SMS, IM etc. And copying them to the phone's ringtone folder is the correct location NOT to SD card. You could store them on SD but you then need http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/ringtone-maker/5a99cbd9-e82a-4892-8264-17a64f9142e5 to make them a ringtone

Also what file format, MP3, MIDI, WMA etc. and how big is a file, less than 1000KB ?

and in SETTINGS ringtones+sounds does it have this option listed where you can choose?

wp_ss_20140201_0001.jpg

Last edited:

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

You need Black w/GDR3 to use custom tones for SMS, IM etc. And copying them to the phone's ringtone folder is the correct location NOT to SD card. You could store them on SD but you then need Ringtone Maker | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) to make them a ringtone

Also what file format, MP3, MIDI, WMA etc. and how big is a file, less than 1000KB ?

and in SETTINGS ringtones+sounds does it have this option listed where you can choose?

View attachment 56019

As I allready mentioned, I allready have the black update, and all app updates...

No matter, I allready solved the issue, and it was indeed as you said.

I deleted them all on the SD, and copied them again to the ringtone folder on the phone, this time they went through.

Finally, custom sms tones. awesome.

Charles White1

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

I had the same problem where I would copy them to the ringtone folder but they would never get listed on the phone so I could use them. After a few tries some would work and some would be missing, it took about a dozen tries to get all 15 ringtones from my PC to the phone. Now I have multiple files that I had to rename on the phone storage because it wouldn't let the old ones be over written or deleted.
I only had this problem after I had to do a restore on my phone because I had almost 5 GIG of "other files" running the phone out of memory, I have no idea what the files were, where they came from, or how to get rid of them.:angry:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs