In Update cetral app is notification about Windows 8.1 Phone. Download this app from http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...d-ad4d393b3740

One thing that interests me is install applications with Micro SD Card. It should be possible after an upgrade to Windows 8.1 at the beginning of the fourth month of this the year.

wp_ss_20140206_0002.jpg
    02-06-2014 03:43 PM
    It'll be interesting to see what 8.1 brings.
    02-08-2014 01:16 AM
    What I wish for more is the ability to move files from one folder to the other or rename them, therefore a file manager is more important than installing apps on the sd card. Atleast I dont need to plug in the phone to the pc everytime to rename files or move them.
    02-08-2014 04:41 AM
    weird
    02-08-2014 04:48 AM
    What I wish for more is the ability to move files from one folder to the other or rename them, therefore a file manager is more important than installing apps on the sd card. Atleast I dont need to plug in the phone to the pc everytime to rename files or move them.
    The problem is that the security won't allow that, well maybe for the SD Card but internal storage it just won't happen. Apps are sandboxed with their data and no other apps have access to it.
    02-08-2014 03:17 PM
    Source: Microsoft, YEAH RIGHT
    02-08-2014 03:23 PM
    Source: Microsoft, YEAH RIGHT
    Well, the source of the update will be Microsoft... the information is sourced from The Verge and WPCentral.
    02-08-2014 11:56 PM
    Hell ya....if Windows 8.1 is gonna support installation onto the SD card. That's the feature I want most more than anything else. Also looking forward to a file manager.
    02-09-2014 12:04 AM
    If the devs were given the ability to access the isolated storage, then we wouldn't need a file manager at all.
    Apps would have full capabilities to do all of that then.

The need for such an app for the user is caused only by MS denying developers that access, which limits every single app in the store.
    02-17-2014 01:12 PM
    If the devs were given the ability to access the isolated storage, then we wouldn't need a file manager at all.
    Apps would have full capabilities to do all of that then.

The need for such an app for the user is caused only by MS denying developers that access, which limits every single app in the store.
    No developer access to isolated storage is done for one very good reason, security.
    02-17-2014 01:52 PM
    No developer access to isolated storage is done for one very good reason, security.
    So...conclusion ?

1. That they are related. If we would have a decent working file manager app, even only a built-in one from MS themselves, that in itself would breach their own security measures.

In other words, it is because of this security measure that we do not have such an app, AND that the devs cannot access isolated storage sections. There are a few file manager apps in the store but off course none of them work as supposed to as the devs of those apps cannot access isolated storage sections.

So if that security measure were somehow "loosened" by MS to allow for a file manager app, even only a built-in one, that could access everything (rename/copy/paste/...), then the developers would be able to do the same. That would enable them to successfully manage all neccessary files from within the app to begin with, and there wouldn't really be a need for managing those files outside of the apps at all in the first place, thus rendering a file manager irrelevant.

2. That we shouldn't be expecting EITHER, simply because we are idiots to expect MS to loosen that security measure any time soon !
    02-17-2014 03:46 PM
    So...conclusion ?

1. That they are related. If we would have a decent working file manager app, even only a built-in one from MS themselves, that in itself would breach their own security measures.

In other words, it is because of this security measure that we do not have such an app, AND that the devs cannot access isolated storage sections. There are a few file manager apps in the store but off course none of them work as supposed to as the devs of those apps cannot access isolated storage sections.

So if that security measure were somehow "loosened" by MS to allow for a file manager app, even only a built-in one, that could access everything (rename/copy/paste/...), then the developers would be able to do the same. That would enable them to successfully manage all neccessary files from within the app to begin with, and there wouldn't really be a need for managing those files outside of the apps at all in the first place, thus rendering a file manager irrelevant.

2. That we shouldn't be expecting EITHER, simply because we are idiots to expect MS to loosen that security measure any time soon !
    I never said that, did I?

We will see a file manager but only for user accessible storage and SD Cards, not on the level of Android.

Microsoft have been putting security first since XP SP2 and that won't change any time soon.
    02-17-2014 04:56 PM
    I never said that, did I?

We will see a file manager but only for user accessible storage and SD Cards, not on the level of Android.

Microsoft have been putting security first since XP SP2 and that won't change any time soon.
    Micro SD enabled for installing apps/games. It is it.

snap1.jpg
    02-18-2014 03:39 AM
    Micro SD enabled for installing apps/games. It is it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap1.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	57350
    No, that's a separate feature. We're talking about a File Manager and I believe it will only allow access to User accessible internal storage and SD Cards.
    02-18-2014 04:51 AM
    No, that's a separate feature. We're talking about a File Manager and I believe it will only allow access to User accessible internal storage and SD Cards.
    I don't know. I think apps and games will be able to install from SD card.
    02-18-2014 05:02 AM
    I don't think we'll be getting a fully featured file manager. We seem to be getting a file picker though. And personally, I'd rather have a secure OS than have the ability to rename a few files on the go.
    02-18-2014 10:32 AM
    I don't think we'll be getting a fully featured file manager. We seem to be getting a file picker though. And personally, I'd rather have a secure OS than have the ability to rename a few files on the go.
    I don't know. We'll see when Windows 8.1 come.
    02-18-2014 11:09 AM
    If the devs get the ability to properly access what they need to to better the file management within their own apps, then yes, absolutely. But first mentioned has to be a must then.
    02-18-2014 11:23 AM
    Hopefully, there will be a developer's preview on 4/2 since ATT is so slow with updates. BTW, Arnold Vink says tiles will be able to update every minute.
    02-19-2014 09:21 PM
    Hey! Uc browser can Access SD card ,pocket file manager can Access SD card so Windows phone might be opening API . Hope to get file manager soon.
    03-17-2014 07:37 PM
    aren't u kidding?
    03-27-2014 09:22 AM