32gb SD card or 64gb SD card?

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi OP, may I suggest you do check the "class" when you purchase an SD card...

The class determines the max read/write speed of the card.
Since WP can't really do without lots of write actions via windows explorer, you really need the speed.

Don't buy under class 4, but imo you really need class 8 or higher for "comfortable" use.
The higher the class, the faster, and the faster the better.

I made that mistake and bought a class 2 32GB card...after a week I threw it away and bought a class 8 16GB card.
I'm happier now with less "space".

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi OP, may I suggest you do check the "class" when you purchase an SD card...

The class determines the max read/write speed of the card.
Since WP can't really do without lots of write actions via windows explorer, you really need the speed.

Don't buy under class 4, but imo you really need class 8 or higher for "comfortable" use.
The higher the class, the faster, and the faster the better.

I made that mistake and bought a class 2 32GB card...after a week I threw it away and bought a class 8 16GB card.
I'm happier now with less "space".

Not entirely true from my experience.

As he said, higher class = faster file transfers (in general)

Class 2 should be OK for basic use like music (but you get what you pay for)
But I'd recommend class 4 or 6 (im not sure 6 exists actually)
But I would get a higher class because faster files transfers are nice, especialy when in bulk.

Now currently , you cannot run apps from the SD card, but thats rumored to potentially change. If it does, you want the highest class you can get. I ran apps off of a class 2 on my old android and it was terrible. The highest class is nice if you're going to do things like that.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Not entirely true from my experience.

As he said, higher class = faster file transfers (in general)

Class 2 should be OK for basic use like music (but you get what you pay for)
But I'd recommend class 4 or 6 (im not sure 6 exists actually)
But I would get a higher class because faster files transfers are nice, especialy when in bulk.

Now currently , you cannot run apps from the SD card, but thats rumored to potentially change. If it does, you want the highest class you can get. I ran apps off of a class 2 on my old android and it was terrible. The highest class is nice if you're going to do things like that.

How is that not true ? There is a very noticable difference between a class 2 and a class 8 card.
If you only transfer pics then sure a class two will do fine.

But since OP was talking about a 64gb vs 32gb card, then I would suppose that he wants to transfer larger files aswel.

And then you really do need a higher class card (4 will not do for comfortable use when copying gigabytes of data), unless you want to wait ages whenever copying files on the SD from PC.

I repeat from my previous post :

Which was referring to transferring large files via win explorer, which truly a WP user currently can't do without. Trust me OP, you want to spend a few bucks extra for that extra speed !

Hotrippr

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I have had my 32gb Samsung class 10 for a year with no problems, but I tested it and didn't seem to perform much better than the class 6 samsung I had had, think it is generally true the better the class the faster but in reality could be just some marketing too. Go for the 64gb, class 10, you won't regret it, unless you upgrade to a phone that doesn't accept 64gb or doesn't accept Sd at all.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I have had my 32gb Samsung class 10 for a year with no problems, but I tested it and didn't seem to perform much better than the class 6 samsung I had had, think it is generally true the better the class the faster but in reality could be just some marketing too. Go for the 64gb, class 10, you won't regret it, unless you upgrade to a phone that doesn't accept 64gb or doesn't accept Sd at all.

the gap between 6 and 10 are indeed not that great (maybe "slightly" noticable copying large files)...

But the difference between 2 and 10 (or higher) are def. "felt" when copying large files...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos