DLNA: How to stream to HD TV from Lumia 520

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,
My family now has several Lumia 520's....enjoy them MUCHLY!!!
I recently noticed that Nokia has released a beta version of Nokia Play that allows a Windows 8 phone to stream to a DLNA receiver over Wifi.
Does anyone have experience doing this? If so, which device was used to plug into the HDMI port to accept the stream? I have an older HD TV with 2 HDMI inputs; it obviously is not a "Smart" TV and some sort of receiver must be attached....
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: DLNA: How to sream to HD TV from Lumia 520

You can buy BlueRay players that convert your TV into a Smart TV or you can look on eBay and buy an adapter which usually is Android based.

Another thing to do is get an old PC and hook it up to your TV with a HDMI video card and WiFi dongle. You can setup DNLA through W7 or W8.

thirdcup

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

This is a good question. I have a Harman Kardon 1510 that Nokia Play To recognizes on my home network, but I can't get any music to stream to it.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

Greetings,
My family now has several Lumia 520's....enjoy them MUCHLY!!!
I recently noticed that Nokia has released a beta version of Nokia Play that allows a Windows 8 phone to stream to a DLNA receiver over Wifi.
Does anyone have experience doing this? If so, which device was used to plug into the HDMI port to accept the stream? I have an older HD TV with 2 HDMI inputs; it obviously is not a "Smart" TV and some sort of receiver must be attached....
Thanks

DLNA:
Digital Living Network Alliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your TV doesn't support DLNA then you're out of luck. No cable can cure that.

For TV's that do support DLNA, fire up the app and press "connect" which takes you to the Wifi settings where you select the network you wish to use for streaming... it will automatically detect and connect all DLNA devices connected to that network.

MartLea

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

Play To app connected quickly to my Toshiba TV (model UL863) but sadly was unable to stream small .jpg pics or .mp3 audio. TV recognised my Nokia was connecting but just displayed a 'Media Playback Error' message. Shame, as the App looked promising but seems to have limited DNLA device support.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Can an Android based adapter be used with the Lumia 520?

As long as it's DLNA approved any adapter should work. Just be sure that it has DLNA. I highly recommend a Blueray or old PC though.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

DLNA:
Digital Living Network Alliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If your TV doesn't support DLNA then you're out of luck. No cable can cure that.

For TV's that do support DLNA, fire up the app and press "connect" which takes you to the Wifi settings where you select the network you wish to use for streaming... it will automatically detect and connect all DLNA devices connected to that network.

No 'cable' was mentioned. I indicated an adapter or something that will enable DLNA. There are many options out there. Not all are great but some are better than others.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

This is a good question. I have a Harman Kardon 1510 that Nokia Play To recognizes on my home network, but I can't get any music to stream to it.

Are you able to stream other DLNA enabled devices to it? If not then there's an issue with the setup. I took a quick look at the manual. It should be plug and play but things can go wrong sometimes.

Rob Betts

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

PlayTo works well with my Samsung smart TV. It connects automatically and is simple to use. The only fault, much to my wife's annoyance, I would say is the automatic connection, interuppting whatever programme is being watched. It doesn't give the option to choose another DLNA device such as PC unless the TV is turned off at the time.
Bob

vendemilo

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site

Hi guys, what is the difference between a soft reset and hard reset? Thanks

Sent from my RM-914_im_south_africa_243 using Tapatalk

vendemilo

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site

Hi guys, what can I do and What could be the possible cause of this, as I have been trying to update my Lumia 520 since two days now but it keeps giving me this message below:
THE UPDATE COULDN'T BE DOWNLOADED. (801881d0)

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

Hi guys, what can I do and What could be the possible cause of this, as I have been trying to update my Lumia 520 since two days now but it keeps giving me this message below:
THE UPDATE COULDN'T BE DOWNLOADED. (801881d0)

https://hr-hr.facebook.com/nokia/posts/10151775525262397

Nokia Hello, Avneil Kumar. The code means that there's a newer version of the software ready for you to install. Also it means that your download was interrupted, possibly because of a slow Internet connection. Make sure that your phone has a good connection to the Internet, through Wi-Fi or Cellular. -Glenson

http://techandgio.blogspot.be/2013/10/troubleshooting-windows-phone-8-update.html

Error code 801881D0. According to Microsoft support section, the cause for this displayed error is the slow internet connection that your phone has. Make sure that you have reliable internet connection prior updating to ensure smooth update of your phone to Windows 8. Go back again to Settings> Phone update> Check for updates.

Make sure you have a good data connection, preferably Wifi !

RichardBurt

Banned
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

I can't install Xbox 360. How did you get it installed?

Open cardboard box, take Xbox out of box, plug into power, monitor etc. Switch on. Use.

Or here's a crazy idea! You could actually take the time to read the instructions or use a search engine to find the answer instead of posting it here under a topic that has sweet FA to do with your problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786