Videos not getting saved after recording!

Ankur28

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
I have SanDisk MicroSDHC 32 GB Class 10 Ultra memory card in my lumia 520.
Since quite some time (probably after black update) I am unable to record videos in phone. While, I switch on video camera and recording is on, everything seems fine. After the recording is turned off, it takes few moments saving the video but then no video can be seen in camera roll. If I connect to a computer some videos(.mp4) are there in the camera roll folder but none of them are readable. I tried using different media players on computer but it always says that video is in undf format can not be read. After a restart the corrupt video file is also visible in camera roll on phone itself but again cannot be read. This also does not happen same everytime. Many a times, the video I tried to record is just not seen anywehere, not even after soft reset. As if the video was not recorded at all
Also, most of the times, videos get recorded and saved. I can see the thumbnail with the video duration on it but again the file is not playable anywhere ( It says the file can not be played on your phone)
I suspect this is an issue related to saving the recording on memory card as i do not face this problem if i choose the new pictures to be saved on phone memory only.
However my card seems to be working fine otherwise. all other files are saved and played well. Videos/movies copied from computer also run fine on the card. SO I am sure there is no trouble with my memory card (MicroSDHC 32 GB Class 10 Ultra )

The measures I have taken so far:
1. Formatted the card in computer (FAT 32 without using quick format option)
2. When above did not work Formatted the card in Phone too
3. Soft reset also did not work
4. Hard reset the phone. ( Did this twice but to no avail)
5. Tried using Nokia camera App and also the default camera in 520 but same results
6. I do not have any other memory card so could not try using another memory card

Has some one else faced these problems too? Please suggest solution. This is driving me crazy:shocked:

Best Regards,
Ankur
P.S: Sorry for long post but I wanted to be descriptive for better clarity.

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Try to format with these settings :

File system: exFAT
Unit size: 4096 bytes

Quick format: OFF

It eliminated most of my issues regarding read/writes on the SD card...

If that don't help, then you can try N_LaRue's final options...and those will then indeed be the "final" options...
But you have to try exFAT first. Especially with 32gb and 64gb cards !!

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
There are precedences to these issues you know...

They are various issues caused by file system corruption. Because of the wide "variety" of resulting issues, the cause is not that easy to conclude, but if you think a bit logically and realise all files on any drive are dependent on (and limited to) the file system in use, you can trace back these issues to file system corruption and limitations in handling read/writes and larger files on 32gb+ sd-cards.

...so it wouldn't hurt to try it, and you can always revert back to FAT32 if it doesn't resolve the issue, but at least you'd be sure that wasn't the cause.

An example of such precedences :

Lumia 822 SD Card corrupting - Nokia Support Discussions

Windows Phone 8 formats the sd card to FAT32 unfortunately NTFS is not supported. SD cards 32GB or larger needs to be formatted with exFAT. I had the same issues with freezing with a 32GB card until I formatted it to exFAT so far issues been resolved. I hate to say it FAT32 needs to die limitations on FAT32 Max volume size is 32GB and Max file size is 4GB while exFAT will support a recommended Max size 512TB and Max file size 16EB. Hope this solves some issues.

The biggest problem is with the filesystem being FAT32. I wish and hope Microsoft will enable NTFS support, this would eliminate most of the filesystem corruption and the issues with large volumes and file sizes. Formatting the SD card on the PC from FAT32 to exFAT has eliminated the problems with camera and file transfer freezes, but is still able to sucumb to filesystem corruption as easy because of no journaling support. So far so good on no filesystem corruption since the conversion to exFAT.

-> and untill MS adds NTFS support, you can forget about journaling, cause it isn't supported by either FAT32 nore exFAT.

Ok, so I did a hard reset and put in my SanDisk 32 GB microSDHC Class 10
and so far it is working and seeing music & photos on the card and the phone storage.
I did format with exFat and did not format with phone.
Only told the phone to store music and photos on card.
Will let yall know down the road what happens.

Ankur28

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. Though I am not sure how to use recovery tool. I believe this is to be used when an update is stuck midway. Isn't it?
Visit to Nokia care is definitely to be done but once I am exhausted of all other alternatives coz going there and waiting is quite troublesome ( at least in the location I am based at)
Well, since you did all that I can only think of two options for you.

1. Try using this and see if it helps: http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-quietly-releases-software-recovery-tool.html

2. Take it to Nokia Care.

That's really all the options you have left.

Ankur28

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Since exFAT was recommended for cards more than 32 GB and mine is 32GB only I did not try. But you are right, I should give it try and can always roll back. Shall do over weekend and post the results.

There are precedences to these issues you know...

They are various issues caused by file system corruption. Because of the wide "variety" of resulting issues, the cause is not that easy to conclude, but if you think a bit logically and realise all files on any drive are dependent on (and limited to) the file system in use, you can trace back these issues to file system corruption and limitations in handling read/writes and larger files on 32gb+ sd-cards.

...so it wouldn't hurt to try it, and you can always revert back to FAT32 if it doesn't resolve the issue, but at least you'd be sure that wasn't the cause.

An example of such precedences :

Lumia 822 SD Card corrupting - Nokia Support Discussions

-> and untill MS adds NTFS support, you can forget about journaling, cause it isn't supported by either FAT32 nore exFAT.

Last edited:

Ankur28

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Actually I thought exFAT is for more than 32 GB card but you are right I should try and can always roll back. Shall do over weekend and will post the results.

Thanks
Try to format with these settings :

It eliminated most of my issues regarding read/writes on the SD card...

If that don't help, then you can try N_LaRue's final options...and those will then indeed be the "final" options...
But you have to try exFAT first. Especially with 32gb and 64gb cards !!

Ankur28

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Aaargh!! new bug... I recently went on a holiday ..some pics clicked and videos shot.. All were there in camera roll, saw all of the mcouple of time. But suddenly half the pics and the videos gone. Just not there. I even tried using recovery tools after plugging the card to computer. But no use.
It's annoying. Just pissing me off . I guess this phone is just not meant to handle memory cards! Ugh!!!

genuine555

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
Aaargh!! new bug... I recently went on a holiday ..some pics clicked and videos shot.. All were there in camera roll, saw all of the mcouple of time. But suddenly half the pics and the videos gone. Just not there. I even tried using recovery tools after plugging the card to computer. But no use.
It's annoying. Just pissing me off . I guess this phone is just not meant to handle memory cards! Ugh!!!

And you're sure they weren't accidentally saved to the phone storage instead ?

Maybe you just got a bad card after all ? I save everything on SD and never have issues.
You are on Lumia Black right ?

Ankur28

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
no they were not on phone memory. I do not understand what happened. I still want to believe that it was an accidental delete and the phone is fine. yes may be the card has issues. I will run checkdsk once.
Yes I am on lumia black
Neways I am still thinking of upgrading phone.. Are Lumia 725 rumors true?

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
no they were not on phone memory. I do not understand what happened. I still want to believe that it was an accidental delete and the phone is fine. yes may be the card has issues. I will run checkdsk once.
Yes I am on lumia black
Neways I am still thinking of upgrading phone.. Are Lumia 725 rumors true?

What Lumia 725 rumours? Like 1520 mini or 1820?

Ambori

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
The pictures which i take and the videos which i make from my Microsoft Lumia 535, do save but do not play afterwards, i save them on my Micro SDcard, please help!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12