520 as a geocache phone with no service?

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering if the 520 would make a good geocaching phone for my kids. I always cringe when I give them mine. It would have NO service, just use wifi. I'd either have a hot spot or use a different phone for the wifi. I didn't know how great the GPS was in the phone and if it relied on the cell service to assist it? I could also use it as a Skype/messaging phone so they had some option for communication with me. The bundle deal with Xbox Music is hard to pass up if this works.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I pulled out my 521, sim but no service. Here Maps works, I can get directions and I checked to update my map and let me know I had an update. It showed my location and gave me a satellite view.

AndrewMBaines

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I use the geocaching.com app on my 520. When I'm going out, I download the local caches on to the phone over wifi. Once they're cached, they're available without a data connection.

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys, That's good info. Anyone else tried using GPS for an extended period without cell service? I'm guessing it might just take a little longer to lock because it won't know what satellites to look for, but it might be able to download that info across wifi also. I haven't read up on this stuff since the WinMo6.x days, LOL.

I haven't seen any, but there aren't any wireless charging cases for the 520 are there? That would be perfect for a kids phone. It doesn't need NFC or a super sweet high res screen, but wireless charging would help kid-proof the phone. :)

Edit: I found the CC-3068. I'm not sure it would work?

Edit #2: LOL, I looked more and that is the standard cover, a couple vendors listed it as wireless, not sure why.

Last edited:

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The 520 works just fine for the things you want to do with it without a sim. I bought one to use as a backup to my 820 and use it all the time. It gets OS updates and everything just like you were using a network with a sim, as the updates can be received using wifi. The 520 does not have a wireless charging back shell like the 820. I have one for my 820.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte