Lumia 520 as a music player?

Dan TheMan86

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Now I'm more leaning to a used Lumia 822. Might be able to get a used one with bad ESN for under $100. 16GB onboard storage (which I think I need because all artist pictures and album pictures get stored on the onboard memory , right?) plus 1gb of RAM so it should run a bit smoother.

With a bad ESN, I will be able to update to Lumia Black/Amber/etc and WP8.1 through wifi, right?

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Seeing this thread, I wanted to ask, do any of you have issues while playing music in L520 from a 64gb SD card? The music + videos app keeps skipping some albums while I am browsing, and then it constantly freezes when I choose to play a song from the Songs heading (choosing from Album or Artist heading was ok, just not the Songs heading). Is this a reoccurring problem, and is there any way to fix it?

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I have the 520 and use it as a music player only. I have a 920 I use as a phone. My 520 has a 64GB card in it. With 64GB, the phone can be a little slow at times. I have deleted everything I can and use it in airplane mode. The battery lasted over a week in standby mode. However, once I downloaded Nokia Music I only get about a day and half.

I use this in a Mercedes and it will display the name of the song from Bluetooth on the dashboard it will also automatically resume from the what I was listening to before I stopped the car.. I also have a Ford with Sync, but do not use it in the Ford, it does not treat Bluetooth as nice, so I have a 64GB thumb drive for that. There are other issues with it, but most of the people have already shared them. It makes a nice inexpensive music player. I received my 520 free and only had to by the 64GB card, which was on sale.

sameermehta2

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Well i just wanted to share my experience of music quality on 520,i have used earlier the walkman series i.e. W550,700,950,live with walkman,also couple of Samsung androids but the quality on this without equalisers is better than most of the stuff i used,also i feel android does not provide a good audio experience.i am sure sound would be better on higher Lumia series.
not aware of iPhone as still not used it.

misterpunn

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, my phone always lags for about 2-3 minutes whenever I chose a song from the song list, but whenever I choose a song from the album or artist section it plays right away.

I think it's because when you choose from the album or artist, it's because the phone has a much smaller pool to look-through to find the song, whereas it needs to "find" the song amidst the entire catalog when you choose the song from the song list (but I have no idea.)

It's really frustrating, but I have learned to live with it. Initially I thought it was a phone or SD card problem, but I had my phone switched-out at the MS Store and I've used different SD cards, so it seems like it's just an inevitable issue. It's really annoying; I rarely choose to select from the song list anymore just because it freezes my entire phone for 2-3 minutes and I bought my 520 for the sole purpose of using it as a music player.

Last edited:

Vitte

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Doesn't sound like that great of a music player.

It appears that the Black update fixes some sound quality issues:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...th-audio-playback-distortion.html#post2289440
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/261757-car-bluetooth-works-after-black-update.html

I take it Bluetooth works reasonably good with most aftermarket head unit receivers? I stream podcast and Pandora (Spotify?); I will not be storing large audio files on the phone - still will use my iPod via/USB for my personal collection.

Upgrading from 2 year old Lumia 710 :)

tgmn

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I picked one up on the Amazon lightning sale to use when in the gym. Hoping it works out because running with my 1520 is quite ridiculous.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes