Unlocked 521 on Prepaid Card?

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if I can use an unlocked Nokia 521 with the $100 At&t Prepaid card that's good for a year? I am looking at activate this phone for a family member who will only be using it for calls on rare occasions. I know a feature phone can easily be used but this is for an older family member who can easily see and use the larger tiles that windows phone offers.
I currently have an At&t 925 and T-Mobile unlocked 521 on a family share plan with At&t. I want to use the extra unlocked 521 as a prepaid phone, voice and text only but have heard At&t might initially allow it but come back and penalize you if they find out its a smartphone. Can anyone shed and light on this as to whether its true or not?

Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't a pay as you go sim be a better deal? Then you have no obligations at all and you would only have to pay for the sim up front which, in the UK, would be ?5 to ?10.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Wouldn't a pay as you go sim be a better deal? Then you have no obligations at all and you would only have to pay for the sim up front which, in the UK, would be ?5 to ?10.

I am pretty sure that's what he's talking about. Prepaid cards in the states normally point towards pay as you go.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Oh, right. It seemed different because in the UK the phone I use a PAYG sim on is my choice (unlocking aside) and it's not the business of the phone company to dictate what I connect or how I use it. Also, there is no monthly fee (such as the $25 monthly minimum mentioned here) which made this sound like a monthly contract deal to me. In the UK PAYG means exactly that. Is there really no-one who just sells a basic sim in the US which you charge up with, say, $10 whenever you need more credit?

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Right, I was looking at a pay as you go type service. In the past, there was a plan that cost .10 a minute and .25 per text and I would buy a $100 refill card and be good for the year. This is basically an emergency phone that is kept in a vehicle so its really not going to get used regularly. All I want to have to do is buy a new card once a year to keep service on it. Didn't want to have to worry about data plans and monthly payments.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Right, I was looking at a pay as you go type service. In the past, there was a plan that cost .10 a minute and .25 per text and I would buy a $100 refill card and be good for the year. This is basically an emergency phone that is kept in a vehicle so its really not going to get used regularly. All I want to have to do is buy a new card once a year to keep service on it. Didn't want to have to worry about data plans and monthly payments.

Understood. I had a GoPhone account for a couple of years. i used the SIM card on my work phone. They've changed the plans around a few times, but that 10cents a minute plan may still be available. I am not sure.

Cyterio

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to update everyone:
I went to At&t and picked up a GoPhone sim card and put $10 on it, just to test it. I think it breaks down to .10 a minute, and .20 for texts sent/received. Popped the sim in the unlocked Lumia 521 and fired it up. Works perfect! I was able to make and receive calls and send and receive texts. I'm going to run the rest of this $10 card out then go with the $100 card that's good for the year. Thanks for all the help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12