Problem downloading speech language and checking for phone updates

anon(5527120)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to download English(India) speech pack for my phone and I went to Settings -> Speech and chose English(India) and my phone says "Downloading language" but it's been going on for 2 days and the download hasn't finished. The file size is not more than 25 MB. I'm using a proper Wi-fi connection. When I tap the English(India) option, it takes me to phone update and when I choose check for updates, the update status is shown as "Checking for updates..." but it never finished checking for updates and every time my phone screen times out I have to check for updates again. I've been preventing my phone screen from timing out for the past half an hour but the phone is neither able to check for updates, and nor is it able to download the speech language pack I want to download. I tried the workaround where you download a keyboard language but even that failed to download... Everything just says "Downloading" or "Checking for updates" but it never finishes.

anon(5527120)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Internal storage: 1.68GB free
And yes, no error messages.

I also have the latest OS version (8.0.10521.155) on my phone already and am registered for Preview for Developers program

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd try a reboot (soft reset) first.
Then see if you can bring the phone memory up as much as you can afford after that.

anon(5527120)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed that the Viber app on my phone is taking up 96MB although the app itself is only 18MB. Is this because of the app updates? Also, out of only 4GB of internal memory, is it realistic of Microsoft to ask us to keep 2GB free just so that we can download a 25MB speech language pack. I reckon it's gonna be much worse when Cortana comes out (it'll obviously need more than 25MB)

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I believe the need for so much overhead is because the phone is running apps\services in the background.
Things like OneDrive, Messaging...etc will be caching\writing to phone memory during downloads.
The system may need as much as 1gig to guarantee underlying operations run properly.

The case of having 1.5 gig or so left in memory the download package is compressed and probably inflates to .5 gig to install.
Perhaps the system is detecting low memory then not allowing the download.

The odd thing is your not getting any memory or other error code.
Give the reboot a go and see what happens after.
Certainly worth a try as a low risk solution.
*Note
Make sure the battery is topped up also.

anon(5527120)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Battery is topped. Rebooted the phone and went to speech and it still says "Downloading language". Been like this for two days. Can't even cancel/stop the download

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
It's going to to updates for the phone firmware\OS?

edit:
Is use cellular data enabled for limited wifi under settings\cellular?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a 521 right here and I just changed the language to English from English (US)
I got "Restart Phone" in a box tapped it then the phone went to a quick restart.

Now the language has changed.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Weird...

wp_ss_20140411_0002.png

I just changed to India and English.
Same thing.
Restart Box\tap\reboot\language and region changed.
About 25 seconds.

anon(5527120)

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a problem in changing language. I have a problem in downloading the speech language pack for my region. Try going to "speech" and downloading the English(India) language pack.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
it's almost done...about one more minute maybe...

K
edit
This phone had 4.04 gig free after the download\install it has 3.79 gig.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6