Hey guys,

I got one of my techie friends (with an iPhone 5s) a 520 for his birthday as sort of a gag gift / *look how awesome cortana / WP8.1 is!* (I Love my 920 BTW, so by gag gift I don't mean that WP is a joke. More like "look I bought you a low end windows phone! Join the light side!")

He has win 8 already so Im setting up the phone now with the 8.1 preview update on my credentials and such. I purchased the phone from the MS store (online) and it did come with a SIM card but A.) I don't plan to pay for a phone number and B.) neither does he (im sure). But it keeps popping up with the "no sim" message every like 30 minutes. If I just stick this sim card that came in the box in, will it stop giving me the error, even if I don't set the SIM up? Or is that not possible?

The purpose of the device is as a play around with it, store music, etc on it. maybe some games if his iPhone dies he can use the WIFI and get on FB or whatever (or permanently switch to WP.. MWAHAHHA) but i'd really rather that SIM message no appear all the time. Is there any way to get rid of that or is this just something we'll have to deal with?

Thanks guys
    04-14-2014 05:18 PM
    he can just leave the sim card in the phone. I got a 520 to use as a media player. that message kept popping up, so i just left the sim in there. you don't have to activate the sim or anything. It will stop giving you the error. hope this helps.
    04-15-2014 10:50 PM