Windows 8.1 update guidance

vorajee

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello

I've just installed widows 8.1 update using preview for developer on Lumia 520.

I need guidance in some feature.
1 - When i try to get more tile feature it makes my screen smaller.

wp_ss_20140519_0002.png

wp_ss_20140519_0003.png

I will keep this post on as i will get new issues i will post in.

Thank you and please help

praveen9663

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes this is normal you can move tiles on every where the size will be smaller.....You can make 6 Small tiles or 3 Medium Tiles or 1 large+1 Medium tile...This is due to 4.3" screen

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
To fit more tiles horizontally, Nokia have two options. 1) Make the screen bigger & 2) Make the tiles smaller. So, they make phones with bigger screens and more tiles. Rather nicely, they let those with smaller screen also have the option for more tiles but to do so they have to make them smaller, since making the screen bigger is a bit beyond a software upgrade.

You will find you can now put more tiles in all that blank space left now your current tiles have been shrunk.

vorajee

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Thank you guys that is so quick response and so positive answers.

One more thing i am having issue is Cortana. I was looking for it. I changed my region to US and language too. But when i press search button i get bing search. Now when i search cortana in bing it gives me cortana settings which takes me to this settings.

wp_ss_20140519_0005.png

How do i get it. I have to make so many notes for my work and cortana would be nice help.

Thank you

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys that is so quick response and so positive answers.

One more thing i am having issue is Cortana. I was looking for it. I changed my region to US and language too. But when i press search button i get bing search. Now when i search cortana in bing it gives me cortana settings which takes me to this settings.

View attachment 66950

How do i get it. I have to make so many notes for my work and cortana would be nice help.

Thank you

Your search button aka Bing button.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Your search button aka Bing button.

You need to change the speech settings to US as well, which may require a restart. Do that and open Cortana from the app list and she should appear when pressing the search button from then on. There is a thread somewhere which explains in full how to do it, but basically you need to change the region, speech language and keyboard to US, but format (for dates and such, can be anything - I have mine set to the UK and Cortana works fine).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You need to change the speech settings to US as well, which may require a restart. Do that and open Cortana from the app list and she should appear when pressing the search button from then on. There is a thread somewhere which explains in full how to do it, but basically you need to change the region, speech language and keyboard to US, but format (for dates and such, can be anything - I have mine set to the UK and Cortana works fine).

Good point. Since I'm in the US, I was not aware of the extra steps necessary.

vassilis1924

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I had only changed region to US and phone language to English US.
I hadn't touched anything else and I didn't even have speech enabled when I rebooted the phone and ...bam! Cortana was right there!
I'm in Hellas by the way. (You know.. Hellenic Republic. Might have heard it as Greece :p)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster