Straight Talk MMS HELP!

AlexBogues

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Alright so, I have spent nearly 10 hours on this issue. I hope someone can help me.
I am a brand new owner of a WP8 Lumia 520, and I absolutely love it, besides the carrier mms setting nightmare that exists.

I switched from Verizon, to Straight Talk, and am now getting used to the whole GSM world. So I quickly found out, on my locked to AT&T Lumia 520, that wap.tracfone is the apn setting that gets my internet to work.

Ok that's great and all, but through all my research I keep finding that wap.tracfone is the tmobile sim settings but whatever, it works, I was happy.

Now the real issue is the mms settings. I have tried a combination of about every single setting that exists out there. Different apn's, wap gateways, and mmsc settings.

I have mixed and matched T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk, Net 10, and Tracfone mms settings, and I cant get the freaking MMS to work!

Someone, anyone, please, help me out here. My current settings are as follows.
Internet APN
APN:
wap.tracfone
(All other settings blank)
MMS APN
APN:
wap.tracfone
Username:

Password:

WAP gateway (URL):
mms2.tracfone.com
WAP Gateway port:
MMSC (URL):
http://mmsc.cingular.com/
MMSC port:
Maximum MMS size

AlexBogues

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Well I tried your settings but they don't seem to work. Only wap.tracfone seems to work for my internet APN. Is your phone unlocked by chance?

Last edited:

AlexBogues

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Alright
Well thanks for the help, but so far your settings had no success. I did even try updating to WP 8.1 but to no avail.
Though I have had SOME success, I can now send mms, but I cannot receive.
Here is where it gets weird, I did not change my settings after updating to 8.1, so some, any assistance would be super grateful!

skermac

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Alright so, I have spent nearly 10 hours on this issue. I hope someone can help me.
I am a brand new owner of a WP8 Lumia 520, and I absolutely love it, besides the carrier mms setting nightmare that exists.

I switched from Verizon, to Straight Talk, and am now getting used to the whole GSM world. So I quickly found out, on my locked to AT&T Lumia 520, that wap.tracfone is the apn setting that gets my internet to work.

Ok that's great and all, but through all my research I keep finding that wap.tracfone is the tmobile sim settings but whatever, it works, I was happy.

Now the real issue is the mms settings. I have tried a combination of about every single setting that exists out there. Different apn's, wap gateways, and mmsc settings.

I have mixed and matched T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk, Net 10, and Tracfone mms settings, and I cant get the freaking MMS to work!

Internet APN
APN:
wap.tracfone
MMS APN
APN:
wap.tracfone
Username:

Password:

WAP gateway (URL):
mms2.tracfone.com
WAP Gateway port:
MMSC (URL):
MMSC port:
Maximum MMS size

I'm curious if you ordered the Straight Talk sim card and are using that? I bought the Nokia 520 Go phone last week. It came with an ATT sim card that I did not use. On the Straight Talk site they have sim cards for this phone, doesn't matter if locked or unlocked. I ordered one for about $7 with free shipping. I'll activate the phone today or tomorrow and let you know how it works. If I have problems I'll keep this thread in mind for answers or maybe provide answers if I find any. :smile:

skermac

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site

Internet APN
APN:
wap.tracfone
MMS APN
APN:
wap.tracfone
Username:

Password:

WAP gateway (URL):
mms2.tracfone.com
WAP Gateway port:
MMSC (URL):
MMSC port:
Maximum MMS size

I'm curious if you ordered the Straight Talk sim card and are using that? I bought the Nokia 520 Go phone last week. It came with an ATT sim card that I did not use. On the Straight Talk site they have sim cards for this phone, doesn't matter if locked or unlocked. I ordered one for about $7 with free shipping. I'll activate the phone today or tomorrow and let you know how it works. If I have problems I'll keep this thread in mind for answers or maybe provide answers if I find any. :smile:

AlexBogues

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Alright well I have tried various other settings, and the settings I posted before are the only ones that work for anything (internet and sending mms).
In reply to you Skermac, I bought the phone directly from microsoft and it came in an AT&T go phone package. I did order an AT&T sim from straight talk (it was either that or I remember there being a third option that said both, in which case I ordered that one, but I cant be sure). But if you got your phone activated let me know what settings you are using and if you could give me an idea of where your located, (what region of the US) that would help. I say that because maybe some of the APN and MMS settings are dependent on region or types of towers that are nearby? Maybe?

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried 'att.mvno' for the APN? That's what has always worked with my SIM, but I have had it for several years now and new ones might be different.

AlexBogues

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I have tried. My settings seem to be a combination of T-Mobile settings and AT&T settings for straight talk.
I think I mentioned this but my phone is still locked to at&t but has a straight talk sim.

carlson03

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I have tried. My settings seem to be a combination of T-Mobile settings and AT&T settings for straight talk.
I think I mentioned this but my phone is still locked to at&t but has a straight talk sim.

My brother in law, when switching from VZW to ST, him and his wife's MMS did not work...even with settings that worked on my 520 (same phone, same plan, same everything) after the first month was up, he got a txt saying to restart his phone, his wife did too, and MMS worked. Its posted out there on other sites too....Your situation my be different, but I think its ST's thing...Good luck!

AlexBogues

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm that's interesting, the phone just told them to restart for no reason or what? And it sort of does not make sense though that I am able to send MMS, but not receive.

anon(8327878)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Straight Talk user here. My MMS works with these settings...

Internet APN
APN:
tfdata
MMS APN

APN: tfdata

Username:

Password:

WAP gateway (URL): mms3.tracfone.com

WAP Gateway port: 80

MMSC (URL): http://mms-tf.net

MMSC port: 80

anon(8327878)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Straight Talk user here. My MMS works with these settings...

Internet APN
APN:
tfdata
MMS APN

Username:

Password:

WAP Gateway port: 80

MMSC (URL): http://mms-tf.net

skermac

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
A serial number came with the straight talk sim card and the instructions said to use that serial number when activating the phone with straight talk. DO NOT use the ATT serial number that came with the phone when activating the phone with straight talk, only use the serial number that came with the Straight Talk sim card.

The most important first step is to delete the MMS APN settings that are currently there. To get to the configuration, go to Settings\cellular. Swipe to the lower part of the screen to find “edit mms apn”. Press the “X” at the bottom of the screen to delete the current settings.

After you delete the settings they may still appear, so you need to reboot your 520. I didn't have to reboot mine.

After rebooting, go back to Settings\cellular and “edit mms apn”.

I typed in the following settings and I can text pics or videos and receive them, every thing works fine and in fast 4g! The settings are supposed to be the same in every state, but I am in Ohio near Cleveland if that helps. This phone works like a dream with ST and unlimited 4g too.

User name: (leave blank)
Password: (leave blank)
WAP gateway port: 80
MMSC (URL): http://mms-tf.net/
Maximum MMS size: (leave blank)

AlexBogues

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all your help everyone. When I activated my phone I used the straight talk sim, the straight talk serial number and everything.

For some reason tfdata just does not work for me! I am beginning to think it varies across regions and depending on which towers are nearest to you. But simply tfdata does not work on my phone for mms, or for internet. The only apn setting that works is wap.tracfone. Is there anyone out there who uses wap.tracfone as their apn?

skermac

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all your help everyone. When I activated my phone I used the straight talk sim, the straight talk serial number and everything.

For some reason tfdata just does not work for me! I am beginning to think it varies across regions and depending on which towers are nearest to you. But simply tfdata does not work on my phone for mms, or for internet. The only apn setting that works is wap.tracfone. Is there anyone out there who uses wap.tracfone as their apn?

Did you go to the apn edit screen and delete the settings and restart the phone to make sure everything was clear before typing in tfdata? If not you may not have tfdata in the field. If tfdata is there and you are still having a problem I am at a loss, sorry! If you find something that works let is know in case someone else has the problem you have. Thanks.

AlexBogues

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah nope, tfdata will not work my only settings that work are the following:

Internet APN
APN:
wap.tracfone
MMS APN
APN:
wap.tracfone
Username:

Password:

WAP gateway (URL):
mms2.tracfone.com
WAP Gateway port:
MMSC (URL):
MMSC port:
Maximum MMS size

And the settings above will allow me to have mobile internet, send mms, but not receive mms.
Is your phone unlocked Skermac?

AlexBogues

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Yeah nope, tfdata will not work my only settings that work are the following:

Internet APN
APN:
wap.tracfone
MMS APN
APN:
wap.tracfone
Username:

Password:

WAP gateway (URL):
mms2.tracfone.com
WAP Gateway port:
MMSC (URL):
MMSC port:
Maximum MMS size

And the settings above will allow me to have mobile internet, send mms, but not receive mms.
Is your phone unlocked Skermac?

skermac

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Alex, I don't know if my phone is unlocked, I don't think it is. I bought the 520 Go Phone brand new and it had an ATT sim card which I never put in the phone. I put in the Straight Talk sim card before the phone was activated for the first time. But I notice I have ATT tiles even though I'm on Straight Talk. But none of the ATT apps work so I deleted them. I think ST uses ATT and Tmobile for their minutes. Not sure which carrier ST is using for me. I only know I have ST unlimited and thats the only thing this phone has ever used.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

AlexBogues

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
GOOD NEWS!!!
So aparently what Carlson03 said sort of came true!

After my first month of Straight Talk, my internet stopped working. So I remembered his post (though I never got a text or anything) and tried switching to tfdata and all the settings that you all provided with tfdata.

The result? MMS SEND AND RECIEVE! :excited::excited::excited:
Thank you all for your help, quick replies, and concern! I guess just after the first month of my service something changed, I don't really know how to explain it.

Thanks again!
Alex Boguszewski

Edit: Hey is there a way I can edit the title of the thread so that it can say (Resolved) next to it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)