I hit the gym everyday for a little over an hour. When I get there, I open the built-in music app and press 'play', and it shuffles through my entire library. I've got about two thousands songs, and yet, almost always, there's this one particular song that manages to get played. No other song gets "randomly" chosen so often. What's going on here? They're all mp3's.

If there are no good suggestions to fix this, I'm just gonna have to delete it from my L520.

Thanks
    sisaid227 likes this.
    07-10-2014 08:44 PM
    I have a Lumia 520 too and I have the same problem so I use the #MixRadio it shuffles better try it
    07-10-2014 08:53 PM
    okay, i tried that yesterday and today. both times, that song still managed to get played.
    07-12-2014 06:54 PM
    If there are no good suggestions to fix this, I'm just gonna have to delete it from my L520.
    As a programmer of some 35+ years experience, the answer is there is nothing you can do. It is poor programming by the developer of the app. There have been Mathematicians that have spent their life on the theory of Random number generation. Most program compilers have a built in Pseudo- Random number generator but they generally need Seeding, as in a starting point. Usually that starting point will be a common thing like date and time, or seconds from Midnight etc.

The fact that you are using the thing at the same time each day almost assures that you will get certain repeats if the Seeding is based around time or seconds etc. Since you say it is the built-in app then you have been thrust into the world of msoft programming which is not at the pointy end of great.

A good programmer would take the Seed value then manipulate it in several different ways to attempt to move it away form anything non-random, as in, the time of day.
    07-13-2014 09:50 AM
    *Sigh* so I'll have to delete it until ms fixes the music player. I really loved that song, too, until I heard it every frikkin day.
    07-13-2014 07:35 PM
    *Sigh* so I'll have to delete it until ms fixes the music player. I really loved that song, too, until I heard it every frikkin day.
    I have not messed with the Music app but if you can delete the song from the playlist and then reinstate it, it might give it a new internal ID number and might make it a little less frequently played.

It depends a lot on the underlying database and how it handles deletions and insertions. It may put it back in the same spot. Since it is a msoft app it is probably using their ADO database system.

Maybe remove it and add it back a day or two later as the database may do a vacuum/compaction daily to removed deleted spots. That then should/could/might put it back in a new spot.

Personally, just learn t love the song all over again, and again -- and again. :D
    07-14-2014 03:22 PM
    Okay, mystery solved. So I go to the built-in music player to delete the song, and discover that there's over a hundred entries for it in the songs list. WTF???? I put the mp3 myself into the phone, so I know I didn't copy it in there a hundred times. I wonder if 8.1 will fix this duplicate entry problem.
    07-14-2014 09:49 PM
    I preordered from them on 16th and received mine on 17th. Very pleased. Good service and fast delivery.
    07-19-2014 06:33 PM
    I too had same issue ....it was indeed frustrating....But finally I got 1 nice music player...ya...thats the name...Nice Music Player.....too light n very good.....
    07-21-2014 09:16 AM