I just purchased an unlocked Nokia new Lumia 520 online through an Amazon vendor. Do I still have the Nokia 1 year warranty?
    Thanks, Jerry
    07-27-2014 04:53 AM
    Of course. Though you have the amazon warranty and that is arguably better. Had issues with the screen, on my 1020 - they didn't even bother sending it to Nokia; they simply sent me a brand new sealed replacement.

I don't know where you are in the world but in the EU you get two years warranty!
    07-27-2014 04:57 AM
    Sorry - you bought it from a vendor. Was it "fulfilled" by amazon? If so what I said above stands. If not, well you still get the manufacturers warranty and amazon cover (it's called a b c or something like that).

The amazon cover varies regionally.

Also, was this second hand? Then, arguably, you'll have the warranty minus when it was activated. In the EU it's not an issue. Can't say for anywhere else.
    07-27-2014 05:01 AM
    Not sure what you mean by "fulfilled". I will guess you mean was it sent through Amazon. It was sent directly from the vendor, and the only hard copy receipt in the package says Packing Slip with the vendor's address (does not say Amazon) and it does not use the word "new" in the phone's description. But both the online invoice and the Order Details page found under "Your Orders" on the Amazon site show the Amazon logo. And both of those state "Brand New" in the description. I am in the US and just in case it matters, so is the vendor's address.

I said Nokia states a 1 year warranty from searching warranties on the Nokia site. So sounds like Nokia has different policies for US and EU

I am curious why you said, "Sorry - you bought it from a vendor".

From the info you sent, it does sound like I do have at least a 1 year Nokia warranty, except for the battery. The Nokia site says the batter warranty is 6 mos.
    Thanks for your help and quick reply
    07-27-2014 05:42 AM
    I think with the Nokia Warranty, it's only covered for the region it was intended to be sold in. I know all electrical goods bought in the UK come with a statutory 12 month warranty from the manufacturer. But, I want a cheaper 1520 but those 'international ones' are effectively imported from Hong Kong, and have HK firmware, and I live in the UK. The warranty would be valid in HK, but not in the UK.

Warranties (to my knowledge and experience), unless speficially stated in the original document, are not transferrable - so if you bought a phone in warranty from somebody and a warranty issue came up, it would be them that has to initiate the claim, with the original proof of purchase as evidence. Example - I sell my phone to a friend, something goes wrong and it needs repair/replacement under warranty - they would basically tell him to go away, even if he had the proof of purchase - because he isn't the named person on the receipt or invoice.
    07-27-2014 06:17 AM
    I'm sure that is true about buying a phone from an independent person. But since I purchased it new through Amazon and I have an Amazon invoice stating that, how does this apply to me?
    Thanks,
    Jerry
    07-27-2014 07:30 AM
    If they are an approved stockist (which I believe they are) then you should be fine.
    07-27-2014 07:36 AM
    I don't know why I didn't do this first. I just went to the Nokia site, clicked on support/warranties. Entered my model # and it then asked for the IMEI #. It came back with I am under warranty in the US.
    I do a lot of traveling so that info doesn't help me with that. But at least I now have an answer. Thanks for all the replies.
    Jerry
    07-27-2014 07:37 AM
    I just purchased an unlocked Nokia new Lumia 520 online through an Amazon vendor. Do I still have the Nokia 1 year warranty?
    Nope, nope and nope.

All the above replies need more research. I too have an unlocked 520 from an Amazon Vendor purchased about 6-months back.

Amazon does not offer any warranty, what they do offer is a 30-day return period. usually no replacement but but full payment including return shipping. With that you can buy another one before sending that dud one back. That will ensure you do not get it back again. :)

The Vendor sets their own warranty period and mine is 90-days from date of order.

Being unlocked, the phone is almost certainly from Canada and as such Nokia US will in all probability not honor an International warranty.

I have tried putting the IMEI / Serial number in Nokia's support request form and got back a message that said, this phone is not supported. Your results may vary!

Finally, having said that, with the exception of the battery, this phone has been working perfectly for 6-months and I see no reason for that to change. If it did, then the 100-bucks it cost is not that great to buy another one. The return shipping alone would be around 20-bucks, plus the two week turn around without a phone would suck.

As for the battery which suddenly dropped to 3-hour standby after about 4 weeks, the vendor shipped me a new battery with next-day delivery.

Do your own homework, responses here, mine included, while well-intentioned, are more often opinions rather than fact. AND if you are making a buying decision based on such information, then you need to be using Nokia Support and Vendor's responses, not the faceless many here - me included!! :)
    07-27-2014 10:44 AM
    I have already purchased the phone Piggy (hope it is ok to call you that), and as I said above, when I entered me IMEI # on the Nokia site, unlike your attempt, mine came back that it is under warranty in the US. Your "nope nope nope" plus your suggestion to do my homework implies I should not rely on the Nokia site. Is that correct? And what other homework would you suggest?
    I just reread this mes, and realized it could hint at sarcasm from me. I didn't mean it that way. I quoted you to illustrate the strength of your concern about what I have already done. Thus I am very interested in your next reply, if you do reply.
    Thanks
    Jerry
    07-27-2014 12:00 PM
    Yup, Piggy is fine, call me anything it's a forum of faceless people. :) I could care less what a "faceless" soul calls me.

Well, glad your IMEI worked and you probably do have a Nokia warranty which then leads the question, why ask here?

I can be sarcastic, but was not. It is pointless asking for warranty information here. Anything you get here is totally useless when it comes to getting stuff done under warranty. It will depend totally on how Nokia see the issue. I also wanted to clear up the Amazon "warranty," which it is not, it is a free return period.

The major problem with ALL forums is the credibility of the commenter. All too often the information is expressed as an opinion or something they have heard and not bothered to check out.

It's all good from my end and you appear to have done your due diligence.

But, the bottom line on how warranty is handled, rests exclusively with Nokia, and like home, car or personal insurance, you only really know what is covered and how well, after you make the claim.
    07-28-2014 10:31 AM
    Piggy, the reason I asked here first is because when I googled the question, this was the first google link. Hindsight is kicking me in the... asking me why I didn't just go to the website on this particular issue. But in defense of this site, in the 2 weeks I have had my phone, this site has suggested a few good answers already. So glad it's here.

Thanks all for your help
    Jerry
    07-28-2014 10:53 AM