The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    From my research so far, I have gone to Settings / Internet Explorer / Advanced and changed the Default search provider to Google. The search key still defaults to Bing.

I did read somewhere that if after changing the default to Google (as described above) and then under Language and regions, changing the language to Russian, then the search key will bring up Google. True. It does. But then the language is indeed Russian, and I can't find alt choices for language once there.

If there is not a way, I already have Google pinned. It would just be nice to have a use for the search key button.
    Thanks,
    Jerry
    07-31-2014 03:07 PM
    hold search key/windows key and say: start google. The google app will then start. That's probably you're best alternative.
    xandros9 likes this.
    07-31-2014 03:14 PM
    I don't think that button's behavior was ever changeable.

Well, 8.1 lets you indirectly toggle between the old Bing one and Cortana.

but still, I dont think it can be switched.

I kinda miss the old days of programmable buttons.
    07-31-2014 08:42 PM
    I think Bing is getting better... I'm trying to let it steal me away from Google search, but it is very hard.

​I have a Google tile pinned. That's a viable option.
    rdubmu likes this.
    08-01-2014 12:47 PM
    I just tried to email Nokia about this issue. I couldn't find an email on their site, so I googled it to find an email support address. I filled in all the questions. One was to enter my email and then reenter it. When I hit Submit, it said the 2 emails did not match. But they did. I retyped them anyway. Same problem. I used a different email. Same problem. I hit refresh, and started again. Same problem.
    This was at... EmailUsResponsive - Nokia - USA

Does anyone know different link to emailing Nokia support?
    08-03-2014 06:36 AM
    Its not really a support issue. It's a feature request really. And while technically easy to implement, I can't see it happening.
    Bing is better than Google after you let it build up a bit of knowledge.
    k72 likes this.
    08-03-2014 07:29 AM
    Its not really a support issue. It's a feature request really. And while technically easy to implement, I can't see it happening.
    Bing is better than Google after you let it build up a bit of knowledge.
    ​And you can sign up for Bing Rewards (as I did) to encourage that use...
    k72 likes this.
    08-03-2014 11:17 AM
    MS left it out because it is a Windows Phone, with Bing. Why would they want to push Google services? It makes no sense...
    Android doesn't give an option to use Bing, so why shouldn't MS play the same game? I'm looking forward to the almighty Google versus Microsoft 'punch up'... About time.

Just pin "google.com" to your Start screen from IE... Done!!!!
    k72 likes this.
    08-03-2014 11:36 AM
    It would be cool but yeah, never happen. You can change your search engine for when you search from the address line, that's enough. Now the search button suits me as a screen blank for when someone is being nosy when I'm on my phone. Pretty pictures!
    08-03-2014 11:49 AM
    MS left it out because it is a Windows Phone, with Bing. Why would they want to push Google services? It makes no sense...
    Android doesn't give an option to use Bing, so why shouldn't MS play the same game? I'm looking forward tothe almighty Google versus Microsoft 'punch up'... About time.

Just pin "google.com" to your Start screen from IE... Done!!!!
    Because unlike MS services which USA centric Google offer better quality to all countries not just US.

That is why still more than half of WP users use Google as search engine despite MS forcing them to use Bing.
    Sonu K likes this.
    08-03-2014 11:52 AM
    It's left out because Cortana is powered by Bing. No Bing, no Cortana.
    k72 likes this.
    08-03-2014 12:13 PM
    Because unlike MS services which USA centric Google offer better quality to all countries not just US.

That is why still more than half of WP users use Google as search engine despite MS forcing them to use Bing.
    It's not about 'forcing' them to use Bing at all.
    Why can Google/Android omit a search option for Bing, or actively block it in some cases, as they are trying to sell Google services, but MS cannot do the same as Bing is their service. You don't know much about business, do you??

All Google offers is more 'hits', most of which are advertising or sites with nothing to do with the original; search. At least Bing will try and filter the '****' from the chaff, so to speak

MS are playing hardball now, and I love it...

If you want to use Google, then type 'google.com'. It's pretty easy....

The fact is the default hardware key is Bing, as it should be. I'm sure MS will NOT be offering other search engines as an alternative... Android certainly doesn't. Why should MS?
    k72 and DoctorSaline like this.
    08-03-2014 12:27 PM
    Stop being a lazy *****....all you have to do is open IE & type google.com.... & seeing as Google refuses to develop any official apps for WP, I choose to deny them the opportunity of snooping into my life.

Bing is progressing, albeit at a slow pace, but should pick up once Cortana is on more devices.
    08-03-2014 12:38 PM
    That would be lovely. But Bing Rewards (as with many things Microsoft) isn't available outside the US.
    08-03-2014 05:19 PM
    Stop being a lazy *****....all you have to do is open IE & type google.com.... & seeing as Google refuses to develop any official apps for WP, I choose to deny them the opportunity of snooping into my life.

Bing is progressing, albeit at a slow pace, but should pick up once Cortana is on more devices.
    So you hate Google because they refused to develop apps for WP.
    Then you should also hate MS because they also refused Linux.

In term's of market share of WP and Linux their aren't any big difference.
    08-03-2014 09:09 PM
    It's not about 'forcing' them to use Bing at all.
    Why can Google/Android omit a search option for Bing, or actively block it in some cases, as they are trying to sell Google services, but MS cannot do the same as Bing is their service. You don't know much about business, do you??

All Google offers is more 'hits', most of which are advertising or sites with nothing to do with the original; search. At least Bing will try and filter the '****' from the chaff, so to speak

The fact is the default hardware key is Bing, as it should be. I'm sure MS will NOT be offering other search engines as an alternative... Android certainly doesn't. Why should MS?
    You know search button is waste of space for more than half of users for WP.

Actually my comment answers all your questions.

Why should MS?
    Read the first line of my comment.

And why not Android allow to change search engine because more than 99% of Android users use Google.

I am talking about users point of views.

AND Isn't WP THE MOST PERSONAL OS?
    THEN WHAT REMAINED PERSONAL IN THIS? IF THEY ARE FORCING YOU..
    Last edited by D M C; 08-03-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    08-03-2014 09:16 PM
    Search button is now Cortana which uses Bing.

As mentioned, install an app shortcut to Google and you have quick access to that.
    08-03-2014 09:32 PM
    Search button is now Cortana which uses Bing.

As mentioned, install an app shortcut to Google and you have quick access to that.
    Cortana will not available to all countries until 2015 and 2016.
    08-03-2014 09:35 PM
    Cortana will not available to all countries until 2015 and 2016.
    Another good reason to restrict it to Bing. This way it improves in local areas prior to Cortana launching there.
    08-03-2014 10:08 PM
    Another good reason to restrict it to Bing. This way it improves in local areas prior to Cortana launching there.
    You mean forcing users to use Bing.
    08-03-2014 10:31 PM
    Last time I checked, the Android search key can be used with various search providers, but if you want to use any of the advanced features, you must use Google. As someone else pointed out, no one seems to be bothered by the fact that Google forces users to use their own search engine. Why on earth would Microsoft not do the same? And frankly, I switched to Bing long before I switched to WP because the results were typically were more relevant to what I needed.
    08-03-2014 10:38 PM
    You mean forcing users to use Bing.
    Lol.
    08-03-2014 10:48 PM
    I want to just say one thing. Microsoft isn't forcing you use anything. It's a Microsoft operating system. When Apple or Google give you their services, or HTC forces you to use their home launcher on Android, it isn't "forcing." If you want a Google ecosystem, use an Android device.

I'm so tired of reading of how Microsoft uses monopolistic practices to "force" users to use their services, but when the competition does it, they're doing "smart business."

If it weren't for the fact that I enjoy this site, I'd tell people like D M C exactly what I thought of them.
    k72 likes this.
    08-03-2014 10:52 PM
    The argument about Bing being behind Google services outside US is pretty old. Bing maps maybe behind google maps but Bing search imho has become on par with google search as long as you know how search mechanics work.
    As for integrating google search into search button, download and install google's official search app from store, use it and tell me that you still want to use google search. If you know what I mean.

Also, I've stopped using google services since they announced they are not making official apps for either Windows or windows phone because there it isn't feasible to them from business point of view. And after that Youtube episode I'm totally done with them.
    08-03-2014 11:27 PM
    All Google offers is more 'hits', most of which are advertising or sites with nothing to do with the original; search. At least Bing will try and filter the '****' from the chaff,
    LOL!. Either you don't use google or you don't know how to search in google.

Yup you are right.We even have a google search app(I use that). But what to do, people are super lazy bums. Smart people knows how to use their phones at its full capability. No matter what limitations you have. But some people never learn.

But MS is offering some other services like Office to android(or am i wrong) and the kind MS want to put cortana in other services too..What about that?
    08-03-2014 11:50 PM