08-26-2014 12:52 PM
85 1234
tools
    Dude. When you installed the developers preview you have already agreed to the terms and condition that the software may brick your phone, and it is up to your own risk to install it. Also, since it is bricked, you can fix it by flashing a new rom, and a little research into it wouldn't hurt at all.
    I tried nokia software recovery tool, it didn't help.And its not just bricked, its completely dead, more of a hardware issue, may be chipset or something.
    08-25-2014 03:38 AM
    Dude, difference between old feature phones and smartphones is that smartphones are sort of mini computers with chipsets and everything. And chipsets are fragile. Even a little damage to chipsets can be enough to corrupt your phone. I strongly suggest protective covers for whatever smartphone you buy next. Covers may look ugly, but they provide a cushion to the fall.
    About keys, in 52x series, keys are part of shells. You could always change the outer shells or tweak them yourself. I have 525 and it's camera shutter was malfunctioning. My brother tweaked it and it is working alright now.
    For powering phone on, my suggestion would be to use double tap to wake up option. It's intuitive and easy.

About Nokia service, I've to agree that it is very bad. I went to Nokia care to buy 525, they took advance for a booking and said to get it next day. Next day never came, they kept delaying it then try to sell me 520 which has 512RAM and basically was a year old at the same price. And in my country, you could only get original Nokia accessories from Nokia Care centers only and they are always short on them. You couldn't buy outer shells, nor could you buy coloud headphones or purity pro headphones.
    Suffice to say, I took a refund, bought my 525 from some other retailer and hoped that I never have to go back to Nokia Care center again.
    Looks like mine one was even more fragile, And my keys were off from inside, I could see a hole there after removing the back cover.
    Anyways thanks for the tips.
    08-25-2014 03:45 AM
    So far, my 520 seems to be a decent phone but I haven't had it very long. I have not dropped it or installed anything I shouldn't have either though. Hmmm.....
    08-25-2014 05:14 AM
    You bought a cheap smartphone and all of a sudden you are doubting nokia's quality? You get what you pay for my friend. And it's actually your fault that you dropped the phone in the first place. Even if it dropped from a small height.a dev preview is nothing like overclocking or getting custom roms on an android. It's a beta, it's experimental software, it even says in the terms and conditions, yes I read some of it, that your phone may be bricked or lose functionality.
    Jazmac likes this.
    08-25-2014 05:24 AM
    So far, my 520 seems to be a decent phone but I haven't had it very long. I have not dropped it or installed anything I shouldn't have either though. Hmmm.....
    Get a decent cover at least.

You bought a cheap smartphone and all of a sudden you are doubting nokia's quality? You get what you pay for my friend. And it's actually your fault that you dropped the phone in the first place. Even if it dropped from a small height.a dev preview is nothing like overclocking or getting custom roms on an android. It's a beta, it's experimental software, it even says in the terms and conditions, yes I read some of it, that your phone may be bricked or lose functionality.
    There was a difference of months when I dropped it and when it went toast. What I want to point is that no other phone will break from this height, still I'm not ranting about it, I know its a cheap phone with glass display, so I paid without an argument that time.
    But now when its dead/bricked I have no one but they to blame, because you know its not android, I can't play with kernels and stuff here.
    08-25-2014 05:50 AM
    On one hand, a time wasting to read thread. OTOH, interesting insights into human nature and ways of perceiving the world.

OP, you are indeed a whiner with unrealistic expectations. This "dropped from only 2 feet" is crap, it's subjective, it's not in the design parameters, and how it lands can make all of the difference. By landing on a corner, all the kinetic energy was, indeed, focused on that one point. Hence, cracked case! Man up, dude!

On the similar Lumia 525, TMO and Metro are dumping them right now. The latter has them for $50 out the door, nothing at all with getting service. Maybe the other carriers are doing similarly. For $50 you get a brand new phone and you don't have to put up with Nokia "Care," don't even get me going on the The World's Best Customer Avoidance.

There are also more and more cell phone repair shops opening around the country, or send it in somewhere. Even little Sarasota, Florida has one. When my Nokia Communicator E90's inner screen went bad, I bought one on eBay for $20, I think, and they installed it for less than $40. There's always a Plan B, and sometimes even C.

One of the greatest insights into my Relative Maturity (I'm, er, old) is that sometimes what we want just isn't attainable. Part B, the world and business is frequently unfair. Your assignment, if you choose to take it, is to figure out your own alternative plan. This tape will self destruct......oh, wait, the internet is forever."
    Jazmac and undulose like this.
    08-25-2014 07:17 AM
    Oh, and let me point out something else, OP. Moving to Android isn't exactly an alternative. WP and and Android are OS's, not phones. If you buy a bottom end Android, you will probably be back where you were. If you buy a higher end Android, maybe like the metal cased Lumia 925 is, well, you coulda had a Windows Phone. With Android, you are at the mercies of Samsung, HTC, etc. as to upgrades, etc. I've learned to love WP, my two year old 810 is running 8.1 Upgrade!
    08-25-2014 07:24 AM
    Last time I read the warranty, it doesn't cover wear and tear from normal use.
    08-25-2014 07:30 AM
    Will u explain more about Bricking? or whether Phone dropped just 2 Feet?

Have a read at this.. Phones do break at 2Feet... Nexus 4 screen cracks - defective - Google and LG do not take responsibility - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    08-25-2014 07:44 AM
    I grabbed a 520 when it was on offer for $39.99. My daily is a 920 and the quality is night and day, but then so was the price.

I actually think the 520 would survive more drops than the 920 since it's so light and that the plastic is soft.

Keys being out of alignment does sound like maybe a manufacturing issue, but drops etc. are all in the hand of the owner these days. A cover can help with drops, but at this price I'd just risk it.

Heck, I risk my 920 and thankfully it has survived 5 waist drops with only dents and scratches. Some on concrete. So quality can't be all bad...
    08-25-2014 07:55 AM
    On one hand, a time wasting to read thread. OTOH, interesting insights into human nature and ways of perceiving the world.

OP, you are indeed a whiner with unrealistic expectations. This "dropped from only 2 feet" is crap, it's subjective, it's not in the design parameters, and how it lands can make all of the difference. By landing on a corner, all the kinetic energy was, indeed, focused on that one point. Hence, cracked case! Man up, dude!

On the similar Lumia 525, TMO and Metro are dumping them right now. The latter has them for $50 out the door, nothing at all with getting service. Maybe the other carriers are doing similarly. For $50 you get a brand new phone and you don't have to put up with Nokia "Care," don't even get me going on the The World's Best Customer Avoidance.

There are also more and more cell phone repair shops opening around the country, or send it in somewhere. Even little Sarasota, Florida has one. When my Nokia Communicator E90's inner screen went bad, I bought one on eBay for $20, I think, and they installed it for less than $40. There's always a Plan B, and sometimes even C.

One of the greatest insights into my Relative Maturity (I'm, er, old) is that sometimes what we want just isn't attainable. Part B, the world and business is frequently unfair. Your assignment, if you choose to take it, is to figure out your own alternative plan. This tape will self destruct......oh, wait, the internet is forever."

Oh, and let me point out something else, OP. Moving to Android isn't exactly an alternative. WP and and Android are OS's, not phones. If you buy a bottom end Android, you will probably be back where you were. If you buy a higher end Android, maybe like the metal cased Lumia 925 is, well, you coulda had a Windows Phone. With Android, you are at the mercies of Samsung, HTC, etc. as to upgrades, etc. I've learned to love WP, my two year old 810 is running 8.1 Upgrade!

Last time I read the warranty, it doesn't cover wear and tear from normal use.
    landing on a corner, falling from 2ft and bricking all happened at different time, I'm not blaming anyone else for first two just saying that it resulted in worse than any other phone would do. But the bricking of it made me mad.
    And I love WP (you can even expect a game published under my name by the end of this month) but just won't get a nokia for now(they literally ignore your mails, wow!) and as there are no other offerings android is the only option left for me and I'm not excited about it either.
    08-25-2014 08:17 AM
    Nokia <> Quality
    My 1st Lumia 900 would always activate the voice search for no reason.
    My 2nd Lumia 920 had the camera just die for no reason.
    My 3rd Lumia 1520.3 has the weird phantom screen tap when I was clearly swiping.

So no Nokia <> Quality IMOP, but they're pretty much the only game in town when it comes to WP on Tmob.
    08-25-2014 08:22 AM
    Will u explain more about Bricking? or whether Phone dropped just 2 Feet?

Have a read at this.. Phones do break at 2Feet... Nexus 4 screen cracks - defective - Google and LG do not take responsibility - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    "No bootable option found, press any key to shut down" this is all I'm having on my screen, It wont boot anymore. <-- Bricking. Breaking of screen is other issue that happened months ago and its been repaired.
    08-25-2014 08:24 AM
    I dont know about the 520 but my 920 is even the worst now.
    1. It will stop playing the music when im listening to songs through my headphones when my phone is in the pocket.
    2. It will detect touch even im just hovering my finger, with medium touch sensitivity.
    3. No Nokia support for my phone they just said we cant repair our phone because it is out years older.
    I SO HATE NOKIA NOW!!
    08-25-2014 08:34 AM
    I grabbed a 520 when it was on offer for $39.99. My daily is a 920 and the quality is night and day, but then so was the price.

I actually think the 520 would survive more drops than the 920 since it's so light and that the plastic is soft.

Keys being out of alignment does sound like maybe a manufacturing issue, but drops etc. are all in the hand of the owner these days. A cover can help with drops, but at this price I'd just risk it.

Heck, I risk my 920 and thankfully it has survived 5 waist drops with only dents and scratches. Some on concrete. So quality can't be all bad...
    May be for high end devices, but in my eyes there will always be a doubt that they can go toast any day.
    08-25-2014 08:38 AM
    Nokia <> Quality
    My 1st Lumia 900 would always activate the voice search for no reason.
    My 2nd Lumia 920 had the camera just die for no reason.
    My 3rd Lumia 1520.3 has the weird phantom screen tap when I was clearly swiping.

So no Nokia <> Quality IMOP, but they're pretty much the only game in town when it comes to WP on Tmob.
    Going for a nokia will be hard for me now.
    08-25-2014 08:39 AM
    "No bootable option found, press any key to shut down" this is all I'm having on my screen, It wont boot anymore. <-- Bricking. Breaking of screen is other issue that happened months ago and its been repaired.
    I know things are different. I said Its possible for Phone screen to crack. and gave u an example. Any screen can get scratch and cracks depending on Situation. So i leave it to you to judge if its Faulty phone, or wrong situation that caused it. My Lumia 620 have survived 2 crashes on Concrete, one Throw by my little cousin Kid and still its going smoothly.

About Bricking, i asked How it bricked. While working, or while u restarted, installed some app. Tried something with it? Explain a bit more so its better understandable.
    08-25-2014 08:45 AM
    As an owner of a 1 yr old L520, I'd like to state that I've dropped my phone more than just a couple of times onto tile flooring, concrete, tar road, in the sand pit, even mud once but my phone is working fine, save for a few scratches that are almost unnoticeable...no scratch guards or covers mind you. The only problem I have with the phone is the battery life after upgrading to Cyan....but don't think this thread is the appropriate place to discuss that.
    It all depends on the usage, as for falls & drops a certain amount of luck is also involved as damage depends on the height, surface of contact, how it lands, etc.
    08-25-2014 08:48 AM
    About Bricking, i asked How it bricked. While working, or while u restarted, installed some app. Tried something with it? Explain a bit more so its better understandable.
    I don't know, I just left it there besides me, started playing a game in my laptop, checked it back and it greeted me with that message.
    Otherwise installing the DP and a very often deploying of my unity project (having 70 draw calls at most, very light) were the only things that I was doing different from a very basic user.
    08-25-2014 09:01 AM
    As an owner of a 1 yr old L520, I'd like to state that I've dropped my phone more than just a couple of times onto tile flooring, concrete, tar road, in the sand pit, even mud once but my phone is working fine, save for a few scratches that are almost unnoticeable...no scratch guards or covers mind you. The only problem I have with the phone is the battery life after upgrading to Cyan....but don't think this thread is the appropriate place to discuss that.
    It all depends on the usage, as for falls & drops a certain amount of luck is also involved as damage depends on the height, surface of contact, how it lands, etc.
    I must've got a faulty piece then... OMG its so my fault that nokia produced a faulty device!
    08-25-2014 09:04 AM
    This is getting ridiculous.

1) Any phone can get a crack on its screen when it falls from 2 feet, depending on the angle when it touches the ground.

2) DP automatically burns your warranty. MS warns you when you apply for it that the updates are not official and might harm your phone, even resulting your phone turn into a brick. Thats why official release comes a time after the unofficial DP release.
    08-25-2014 09:18 AM
    I must've got a faulty piece then... OMG its so my fault that nokia produced a faulty device!
    You do realise not everything produced comes with 0% fault right....

Just like how everybody isn't perfect, and needs to improve our behaviour and mentality
    MameTozhio likes this.
    08-25-2014 09:19 AM
    Nokia Lumia 520, I know its a pretty cheap device to expect it to be rock solid, still... my 4 years old 5233 feels and is more solid than this.
    After 1 year of use its dead in my cupboard now. It never acted like a NOKIA PHONE, The very first time it fell on the floor, it molded like clay from the corner, very ugly, I said OK as its plastic after all.

Then its keys lost their position (they were lost somewhere inside the phone just because I was using them), very poor, I took it to nokia care, they replaced the keys, advised me to go easy with them as I was hammering them, charged me as if it was my fault, and I paid, in warranty.

Then after some time, it fell from bed (hardly 2-3 ft. high) and I found a long crack on screen and phone went totally unresponsive. I took it to nokia care again, they charged me more than 1/3rd of the device as it was my fault, and I Paid, in warranty.

Then some days ago the power button again started to loose its grip, and after some days it was all dead for some reason(I still don't know). I saw an error message "No bootable option found, press any key to shut down." First I thought its just a software failure, after all it was running DP, I didn't mind and tried to run nokia software recovery tool. And it failed. I did a little search about the error and found that my phone is toast now. It was frustrating, very frustrating. May be because of some background update or it was just a faulty device. I took it again to the local nokia care and neither could they do anything(expected). Then they said that they can try sending it to head repair center and it will charge me again almost 1/3rd of the device. Now I won't pay, even out of warranty, as its not my fault at all.
    It was NOKIA/MS who screwed up something in the background or may be it was nokia who sold me a faulty device or may be 520 is just a crap phone, poor low end. Whatever the reason was, it wasn't a solid enough(even for normal abuse) phone at all. Its also hard to say that it was a faulty device as I was not the only one who had those hardware issues, they're pretty common actually.

What is driving me more mad about nokia now is their support , they're not replying to my mails, not calling me back. Seriously this is what nokia offered me:
    In warranty, our fault, you pay.
    In warranty, your fault, you pay.
    Out of warranty, our fault, you pay.
    Sorry nokia, not this time. **** you!
    If they don't fix it, I'm seriously gonna go to nokia care again, throw the phone right on someone's face, wont care how many nose bones are cracking. Then I will break the phone down, and then I will dump it in their phone recycle box, so they could stick it up their ***.

Thank you nokia, I'm making the most embarrassing compromise by switching to android because of you.
    Don't be sad. Nokia Taipei never acknowledged any issue on my 1520 (which doesn't come cheap). Sensitive screen was non existent for them. White spots on top of the display (1 first, 3 after, now 5 and 1 small coming up) is again something non existent.
    It's Nokia style. It's a company abandoned to itself. They are not really in control.
    08-25-2014 09:22 AM
    I never bought into the Nokia build quality like so many fans rave about. My first 928 had to be returned due to bad hardware, and I am on my third Lumia Icon because of bad hardware. That's more than a coincidence.
    08-25-2014 09:43 AM
    I never bought into the Nokia build quality like so many fans rave about. My first 928 had to be returned due to bad hardware, and I am on my third Lumia Icon because of bad hardware. That's more than a coincidence.
    Still using the same 928 I bought a year ago. It survived a 2 meter fall to solid marble floor.

Since Im a skier and take my phone along everytime to training, it also survived more than regular cold (-25 to -30degrees Celsius), the hits it got everytime a gate hit my chest where I keep my phone and me falling over it during training.
    08-25-2014 09:50 AM
85 1234