08-26-2014 12:52 PM
85 1234
tools
    It's Nokia style. It's a company abandoned to itself. They are not really in control.
    Totally agree with you, very well said.
    08-25-2014 11:24 AM
    Pretty clear the OP has a real cheap phone, but his point on a larger scale is very valid IMO. Nokia's quality control has seemingly taken a backseat in the past few years it is gradually getting worse. Back in the day Nokia phones were practically bullet proof and would last for years. Quality was top shelf and may be one reason they ruled the roost for so long. Their complacency in that regard is topic for another thread. Case in point, look at the 930. The GSM brother to the Icon. Who hasn't seen complaint after complaint of color hued screen issues on whites. There are many more. The icon itself, squishy backside aside is not immune to many software complaints. I'm glad HTC has offered another option in the windows phone selection. I have the M8 as well as an icon. I thought my icon was pretty well made until I got the M8 up and running. This phone is made with the solidness Nokia used to have back in the day. Its a good thing MS took over Nokia because they were going down to fail on their flimsy build quality alone eventually. We as consumers shell out a lot of bucks for these things the least we can expect is decent quality in the construction. Then move to the software issues. I hope HTC gets back into the game more as their devices are better made than Nokia IMO.
    08-25-2014 11:46 AM
    Pretty clear the OP has a real cheap phone, but his point on a larger scale is very valid IMO. Nokia's quality control has seemingly taken a backseat in the past few years it is gradually getting worse. Back in the day Nokia phones were practically bullet proof and would last for years. Quality was top shelf and may be one reason they ruled the roost for so long. Their complacency in that regard is topic for another thread. Case in point, look at the 930. The GSM brother to the Icon. Who hasn't seen complaint after complaint of color hued screen issues on whites. There are many more. The icon itself, squishy backside aside is not immune to many software complaints. I'm glad HTC has offered another option in the windows phone selection. I have the M8 as well as an icon. I thought my icon was pretty well made until I got the M8 up and running. This phone is made with the solidness Nokia used to have back in the day. Its a good thing MS took over Nokia because they were going down to fail on their flimsy build quality alone eventually. We as consumers shell out a lot of bucks for these things the least we can expect is decent quality in the construction. Then move to the software issues. I hope HTC gets back into the game more as their devices are better made than Nokia IMO.
    The L520 is kinda bulletproof, based on news articles at the very least - L520 saves officer's life. But comparing the Lumia lineup to the older models is not fair as there's a lot more inside the phones now than there was in the older models (More ingredients = Greater chances for something to go amiss) & also with glass covering the entire face of the device.

For comparison purposes, take models in the same price range, like say the Moto E & L520 to test out their durability (if its already been done, link me a video please), since that seems to be the point of discussion here.
    undulose likes this.
    08-25-2014 12:02 PM
    Nokia stopped representing quality and reliability over a decade ago when they started pumping out fashion-oriented mobile phones every couple of months. At the alarming rate with which they introduce new Lumias it doesn't seem like things have changed. It's difficult to ensure quality when you're managing a wide range of products and on this aggressive product cycle.

Still, take this with a grain of salt, because reliability issues with smartphones seems to be a common problem. iPhones and Android devices aren't immune from issues. I think it's a pervasive issue with the industry where form is constantly placed ahead of function and there's overwhelming pressure to release something dramatically new with each generation.
    08-25-2014 12:15 PM
    I've had my 520 since January and have never had any of the issues everyone here is reporting.
    Visa Declined likes this.
    08-25-2014 02:22 PM
    The WP is bad enough.. Yet the phone itself can't survive a day without having a fault. Can't wait to change OS..

Sent from my M8 using Tapatalk
    08-25-2014 02:34 PM
    The WP is bad enough.. Yet the phone itself can't survive a day without having a fault. Can't wait to change OS..

Sent from my M8 using Tapatalk
    You are a ******* tr... You aren't even using a wp. You are already on android. Using tapatalk on m8.
    harchestr likes this.
    08-25-2014 02:44 PM
    I must've got a faulty piece then... OMG its so my fault that nokia produced a faulty device!
    Gwasshoppa: You need to man up here. This is a manufactured device. Millions are made, and some will be defective, sooner or later. Some never will be. And that's before you even drop it! And to presume that it "shouldn't" do whatever because you say so? Arrogance.

My friend The Buddha has observed that all suffering is because you are attached to something external.

Jeez, buy another one for $50! Here's another observation from The Buddha: "It costsmoney to participate in today's electronic society. Deal with it or buy a telegraph and Brownie camera."
    undulose likes this.
    08-25-2014 02:49 PM
    girishN. Stop moaning.

You damage your phone by dropping it and you expect repairs to be covered by warranty????
    You upgrade to a not-officially-released OS and it stops working. You expect repairs to be covered by warranty?

Don't blame the phone. Don't blame the phone manufacturer. Blame the user.

Get real. Oh, and I suggest you learn what warranties are for. Try reading.
    I suggest you read a few warranties as well but you might need to speak Spanish in this case. Warranty terms vary from country to country and it is just as foolish to spout off about warranties as if they are the same everywhere as it is to assume someone will replace a dropped phone. The OP may be in error or may be justifiably annoyed at having a poorly made device - not touching that subject. Speaking about "warranties" as there is some universal standard is just as ill informed.
    08-25-2014 02:54 PM
    I wonder how do you use your phone. lol. Anyway you will be back to Nokia as soon as you understand that low a budget Nokia lumia has no comparison with a low budget Android. Nokia has much more quality it always had. I remember back in the days of 3310 those phones were solid.
    08-25-2014 02:55 PM
    I wonder how do you use your phone. lol. Anyway you will be back to Nokia as soon as you understand that low a budget Nokia lumia has no comparison with a low budget Android. Nokia has much more quality it always had. I remember back in the days of 3310 those phones were solid.
    The old "feature phones" were more indestructible by their very nature. Tiny screens, rugged glass because they weren't touch types, and tender hardware even often covered as flip phones. I still love those the best, drop one in your pocket, no problem, ever.

I had a Nokia 6XXX with a simple flip cover over the keys when closed. Nice. I wonder when someone, somewhere, will try to have a slide-back, flip off, slide-under, or some kind of durable cover for a smart phone design. Shouldn't be terribly hard.

My brother had a Motorola CDMA flip phone that was military grade waterproof. He loved to startle people by insisting he could wash it under the faucet or dropping it in his glass of water.
    08-25-2014 06:18 PM
    This entire thread from the OP is on the verge of ridiculous.

He is claiming that just because his 520 "dropped 2ft" that it should have survived the impact, because of the Nokia branding of course. On top, he "has had it" with Nokia "quality" due to this experience... Let me tell you something, drop an iPhone 4 or 4S from 2ft and you'll see shattered glass. Not only does the 520 not use gorilla glass, but is intentionally designed with cheap materials to make it an internationally affordable device. Your complaints about the hardware buttons could have been fixed with a replacement back cover easily too. (under $10)

In regards to the software, that is a risk you took. You should have read what you were signing up for before you decided to take the plunge. The exact same thing can happen with a bad ROM or kernel flash on Android, or a bad jailbreak on iOS.

Lastly, Nokia Care. They are notoriously inefficient and ridiculous to deal with, so I can agree with you on that point. However, please, do not blame the fault of a company that produces millions of phones each year to have each device ship with not one single flaw. You broke the screen, you installed the pre-release software, the warranty does not cover you under these conditions.

You get what you pay for.
    Nogitsune Micah and undulose like this.
    08-25-2014 06:43 PM
    My brother had a Motorola CDMA flip phone that was military grade waterproof. He loved to startle people by insisting he could wash it under the faucet or dropping it in his glass of water.
    I picked up a Casio commando a few years ago, supposedly military grade and a smartphone to boot. That was one tough phone it could take a whole crap load of whatever you threw at it. So the tech is there to make stronger devices for the everyday Joe. They just don't do it. Could be because no one buys them or they're to aesthetically displeasing to the eye, who knows. But they last.
    08-25-2014 06:48 PM
    I've had a 520 since September, sadly the screen cracked once but that something that you should expect from any glass phone, even the highest end android or iPhone. Buttons work perfect with normal use and despite many many falls the cover isn't broken like my mom's SIII mini, just the corners are a bit damaged (just the exterior soft layer). In my country there aren't any Nokia Care
    Old phones were a lot more resistant because there were smaller and used plastic screens and not glass, modern phones can't use plastic :p
    08-25-2014 06:58 PM
    I would tell you "well, it's a 520, you get what you paid for"...except I've experienced the same horrible construction quality and even more horrible support with the 930, a flagship.

This isn't Nokia anymore. It's not Nokia quality, nor is the assistance being controlled by Nokia. This has Microsoft written all over it. The truth of the matter is, I've been with Nokia for 15 years and ONLY had problems with Nokia phones once Eflop and Microsoft came along. So I'm not surprised at your frustration which I share. And I'll be joining you on Android until the end of the year too, for the exact same reasons.
    08-25-2014 07:38 PM
    And on the flipside I have owned a 810, 822, 3 different 920 for colors, 2 1020, and 2 1520...and I have never had am issue with Nokia quality. Ever since Microsoft took over device, people have been whining about this or that.

Lumia quality is fine and has been for me. I am a loyal Nokia and Microsoft supporter because of this.
    08-25-2014 07:47 PM
    I dropped my 1520 out my hand at least 4 feet on the kitchen floor. It skid and ka perfectly fine.
    08-25-2014 07:50 PM
    Read through the OP's post and I'm not surprised by the reaction of the Nokia Care staff on the buttons, the physical keys are on the case with the rubber contacts on the device itself. To get these into the phone, one deliberately has to use a pointy object i.e a T2 torx screw driver...

Also you could have easily replaced the case when you dropped it and in regards to the screen breaking, unless you have concrete / marble tiled floors it is very difficult to get the screen to break from that height.

In regards to the ""No bootable option found, press any key to shut down." not saying that didn't happen, you need to bear in mind the ROM is stored on flash memory which has a finite number of read / write cycles (which is why sometimes you will find your frequently hot swapped SD card which you had for a few years just stops working out of the blue). However rarely will any user see that happen, I guess that one in a million chance just happened to be fall on you .

Or you just ended up with one seriously defected phone from a rejected batch...
    Guytronic likes this.
    08-25-2014 08:08 PM
    Well, before some more people come here and start bashing me by believing that I'm blaming nokia because I dropped my phone, let me just clear myself for the 100th time. I never asked nokia to repair its glass for free neither I'm blaming nokia for dropping it, I said if a glass breaks from 2 ft of height then its definitely poor quality, even a brand like micromax will beat nokia on it.

I'm Blaming them most for the sudden failure of my device for an unknown reason (and their crap support after that) that occurred after 5-6 months of breaking of its glass(so has nothing to do with that).

And the ones who are saying there's always a risk enrolling in beta program, I know, but that can lead to failure of internal hardware! I don't think it resembles quality/control in any way. And again if a risk end up in failure its also not something to be very proud of or it was the first time when beta testing took place in this universe?
    08-25-2014 08:50 PM
    I dont know about the 520 but my 920 is even the worst now.
    1. It will stop playing the music when im listening to songs through my headphones when my phone is in the pocket.
    2. It will detect touch even im just hovering my finger, with medium touch sensitivity.
    3. No Nokia support for my phone they just said we cant repair our phone because it is out years older.
    I SO HATE NOKIA NOW!!
    My 920 never gave me trouble like that. Its a workhorse and has been for me. Still a workhorse. Sorry you are having trouble with your 920. Did you buy it new or second hand?
    Guytronic and TechFreak1 like this.
    08-25-2014 09:16 PM
    Well, before some more people come here and start bashing me by believing that I'm blaming nokia because I dropped my phone, let me just clear myself for the 100th time. I never asked nokia to repair its glass for free neither I'm blaming nokia for dropping it, I said if a glass breaks from 2 ft of height then its definitely poor quality, even a brand like micromax will beat nokia on it.

I'm Blaming them most for the sudden failure of my device for an unknown reason (and their crap support after that) that occurred after 5-6 months of breaking of its glass(so has nothing to do with that).

And the ones who are saying there's always a risk enrolling in beta program, I know, but that can lead to failure of internal hardware! I don't think it resembles quality/control in any way. And again if a risk end up in failure its also not something to be very proud of or it was the first time when beta testing took place in this universe?
    We got it. Its known as deceleration trauma. Happens to smart phones when they smash into hard surfaces. Broke the glass and damaged the internals. It happens. Not all the time but it does.
    08-25-2014 09:21 PM
    Not to disrespect the Op's experience and knowing some of us depend heavily on these devices.
    Finding service resolutions in some locations may not be a simple thing to do.
    Some can easily cast off anothers anger because it may be simple for some to buy new or replace a broken phone.

My personal experience is I've never had any real problems with Nokia over 10 devices except for an old X2 model that quit.
    Frankly I didn't care about it.

1 of the 521's I have was repaired in a timely manner here in the US under warranty after 10 months of use.
    As a Nokia user I'm pleased with service and the devices I've owned.
    Jazmac and TechFreak1 like this.
    08-25-2014 09:35 PM
    Your car had a time bomb preinstalled, it blasted after 13 months and now you realize that dealer was a terrorist.
    I mentioned the breaking of glass because breaking from 2ft. height isn't acceptable, no other glass phone will break from this height, and I also agree it was my fault, and I didn't say repair it for free for that.
    But beta programs should not lead your device to death, if they do then why other 520 running DP are not dead yet? And if they don't, then my device must be faulty, then what problem should they have in repairing their faulty set? Are they terrorist?
    Um, the glass on my iPhone 4s broke from a drop from 2ft.
    Guytronic and TechFreak1 like this.
    08-25-2014 09:46 PM
    And on the flipside I have owned a 810, 822, 3 different 920 for colors, 2 1020, and 2 1520...and I have never had am issue with Nokia quality.
    Did you ever had any Nokia phones BEFORE Windows Phone? It's easy to say they're good when your term of comparison is a Samsung or alike. But for those of us who have been with Nokia long before WP, we notice the constantly dropping standards that happened since 2009 which got ten fold worst once Nokia left and Microsoft was left in charge.
    We're not comparing the Lumias to Galaxies or iPhones. Compared to those, the Lumias are rock solid and well build. Compared with older Nokias like the N70, the 6600... Not at all. And I'm not even going to mention the 3310. No Lumia has come remotely close to the indestructibility of the 3310 :P
    undulose likes this.
    08-25-2014 10:57 PM
    I feel the urge to point out some things for all those who complain about the author's complaints.
    A) It appears to me (anyone can correct me) that he's complaining for the fact that despite device being under warranty he had to pay twice + device is now dead and he has got no spare (because for Nokia the issue is non existent as usual).
    B) Phones come with a warranty (limited or unlimited in some cases) that caters for these cases. If we start blaming users because a phone drops, because he didn't use a case, because he didn't disinfect his fingers before using the display, because he bought a too cheap phone with a poor quality display then we can abolish warranties altogether as there will always be an excuse.
    - Phone comes without a case. It is designed to work without that. I can drop and get scratched, marginally damaged etc.
    - Phone has keys that, is renowned, users use with a varied degree of strenght. They must be tested for it.
    - Display breaks.....let him pay, make half and half
    - Phone stops altogether within warranty period. You give me a new one, period. This unless i dipped it in water or dropped it from the Empire State B.

We can't escape warranties because users use their phones or because their phones are cheap. Phones come warranted, cheap or expensive you have to fix/change it. The rest for me is the result of flawed logics and doesn't even help the consumer much.
    08-25-2014 11:50 PM
85 1234