Seriously doubt nokia's quality now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I wonder how do you use your phone. lol. Anyway you will be back to Nokia as soon as you understand that low a budget Nokia lumia has no comparison with a low budget Android. Nokia has much more quality it always had. I remember back in the days of 3310 those phones were solid.

The old "feature phones" were more indestructible by their very nature. Tiny screens, rugged glass because they weren't touch types, and tender hardware even often covered as flip phones. I still love those the best, drop one in your pocket, no problem, ever.

I had a Nokia 6XXX with a simple flip cover over the keys when closed. Nice. I wonder when someone, somewhere, will try to have a slide-back, flip off, slide-under, or some kind of durable cover for a smart phone design. Shouldn't be terribly hard.

My brother had a Motorola CDMA flip phone that was military grade waterproof. He loved to startle people by insisting he could wash it under the faucet or dropping it in his glass of water.

DHHSMichael

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
This entire thread from the OP is on the verge of ridiculous.

He is claiming that just because his 520 "dropped 2ft" that it should have survived the impact, because of the Nokia branding of course. On top, he "has had it" with Nokia "quality" due to this experience... Let me tell you something, drop an iPhone 4 or 4S from 2ft and you'll see shattered glass. Not only does the 520 not use gorilla glass, but is intentionally designed with cheap materials to make it an internationally affordable device. Your complaints about the hardware buttons could have been fixed with a replacement back cover easily too. (under $10)

In regards to the software, that is a risk you took. You should have read what you were signing up for before you decided to take the plunge. The exact same thing can happen with a bad ROM or kernel flash on Android, or a bad jailbreak on iOS.

Lastly, Nokia Care. They are notoriously inefficient and ridiculous to deal with, so I can agree with you on that point. However, please, do not blame the fault of a company that produces millions of phones each year to have each device ship with not one single flaw. You broke the screen, you installed the pre-release software, the warranty does not cover you under these conditions.

You get what you pay for.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
My brother had a Motorola CDMA flip phone that was military grade waterproof. He loved to startle people by insisting he could wash it under the faucet or dropping it in his glass of water.
I picked up a Casio commando a few years ago, supposedly military grade and a smartphone to boot. That was one tough phone it could take a whole crap load of whatever you threw at it. So the tech is there to make stronger devices for the everyday Joe. They just don't do it. Could be because no one buys them or they're to aesthetically displeasing to the eye, who knows. But they last.

Aviskri

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I've had a 520 since September, sadly the screen cracked once but that something that you should expect from any glass phone, even the highest end android or iPhone. Buttons work perfect with normal use and despite many many falls the cover isn't broken like my mom's SIII mini, just the corners are a bit damaged (just the exterior soft layer). In my country there aren't any Nokia Care
Old phones were a lot more resistant because there were smaller and used plastic screens and not glass, modern phones can't use plastic :p

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I would tell you "well, it's a 520, you get what you paid for"...except I've experienced the same horrible construction quality and even more horrible support with the 930, a flagship.

This isn't Nokia anymore. It's not Nokia quality, nor is the assistance being controlled by Nokia. This has Microsoft written all over it. The truth of the matter is, I've been with Nokia for 15 years and ONLY had problems with Nokia phones once Eflop and Microsoft came along. So I'm not surprised at your frustration which I share. And I'll be joining you on Android until the end of the year too, for the exact same reasons.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
And on the flipside I have owned a 810, 822, 3 different 920 for colors, 2 1020, and 2 1520...and I have never had am issue with Nokia quality. Ever since Microsoft took over device, people have been whining about this or that.

Lumia quality is fine and has been for me. I am a loyal Nokia and Microsoft supporter because of this.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Read through the OP's post and I'm not surprised by the reaction of the Nokia Care staff on the buttons, the physical keys are on the case with the rubber contacts on the device itself. To get these into the phone, one deliberately has to use a pointy object i.e a T2 torx screw driver...

Also you could have easily replaced the case when you dropped it and in regards to the screen breaking, unless you have concrete / marble tiled floors it is very difficult to get the screen to break from that height.

In regards to the ""No bootable option found, press any key to shut down." not saying that didn't happen, you need to bear in mind the ROM is stored on flash memory which has a finite number of read / write cycles (which is why sometimes you will find your frequently hot swapped SD card which you had for a few years just stops working out of the blue). However rarely will any user see that happen, I guess that one in a million chance just happened to be fall on you :winktongue:.

Or you just ended up with one seriously defected phone from a rejected batch...

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Well, before some more people come here and start bashing me by believing that I'm blaming nokia because I dropped my phone, let me just clear myself for the 100th time. I never asked nokia to repair its glass for free neither I'm blaming nokia for dropping it, I said if a glass breaks from 2 ft of height then its definitely poor quality, even a brand like micromax will beat nokia on it.

I'm Blaming them most for the sudden failure of my device for an unknown reason (and their crap support after that) that occurred after 5-6 months of breaking of its glass(so has nothing to do with that).

And the ones who are saying there's always a risk enrolling in beta program, I know, but that can lead to failure of internal hardware! I don't think it resembles quality/control in any way. And again if a risk end up in failure its also not something to be very proud of or it was the first time when beta testing took place in this universe?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I dont know about the 520 but my 920 is even the worst now.
1. It will stop playing the music when im listening to songs through my headphones when my phone is in the pocket.
2. It will detect touch even im just hovering my finger, with medium touch sensitivity.
3. No Nokia support for my phone they just said we cant repair our phone because it is out years older.
I SO HATE NOKIA NOW!!
My 920 never gave me trouble like that. Its a workhorse and has been for me. Still a workhorse. Sorry you are having trouble with your 920. Did you buy it new or second hand?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, before some more people come here and start bashing me by believing that I'm blaming nokia because I dropped my phone, let me just clear myself for the 100th time. I never asked nokia to repair its glass for free neither I'm blaming nokia for dropping it, I said if a glass breaks from 2 ft of height then its definitely poor quality, even a brand like micromax will beat nokia on it.

I'm Blaming them most for the sudden failure of my device for an unknown reason (and their crap support after that) that occurred after 5-6 months of breaking of its glass(so has nothing to do with that).

And the ones who are saying there's always a risk enrolling in beta program, I know, but that can lead to failure of internal hardware! I don't think it resembles quality/control in any way. And again if a risk end up in failure its also not something to be very proud of or it was the first time when beta testing took place in this universe?

We got it. Its known as deceleration trauma. Happens to smart phones when they smash into hard surfaces. Broke the glass and damaged the internals. It happens. Not all the time but it does.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Not to disrespect the Op's experience and knowing some of us depend heavily on these devices.
Finding service resolutions in some locations may not be a simple thing to do.
Some can easily cast off anothers anger because it may be simple for some to buy new or replace a broken phone.

My personal experience is I've never had any real problems with Nokia over 10 devices except for an old X2 model that quit.
Frankly I didn't care about it.

1 of the 521's I have was repaired in a timely manner here in the US under warranty after 10 months of use.
As a Nokia user I'm pleased with service and the devices I've owned.

SteveSAPA

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Your car had a time bomb preinstalled, it blasted after 13 months and now you realize that dealer was a terrorist.
I mentioned the breaking of glass because breaking from 2ft. height isn't acceptable, no other glass phone will break from this height, and I also agree it was my fault, and I didn't say repair it for free for that.
But beta programs should not lead your device to death, if they do then why other 520 running DP are not dead yet? And if they don't, then my device must be faulty, then what problem should they have in repairing their faulty set? Are they terrorist?

Um, the glass on my iPhone 4s broke from a drop from 2ft.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
And on the flipside I have owned a 810, 822, 3 different 920 for colors, 2 1020, and 2 1520...and I have never had am issue with Nokia quality.

Did you ever had any Nokia phones BEFORE Windows Phone? It's easy to say they're good when your term of comparison is a Samsung or alike. But for those of us who have been with Nokia long before WP, we notice the constantly dropping standards that happened since 2009 which got ten fold worst once Nokia left and Microsoft was left in charge.
We're not comparing the Lumias to Galaxies or iPhones. Compared to those, the Lumias are rock solid and well build. Compared with older Nokias like the N70, the 6600... Not at all. And I'm not even going to mention the 3310. No Lumia has come remotely close to the indestructibility of the 3310 :p

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I feel the urge to point out some things for all those who complain about the author's complaints.
A) It appears to me (anyone can correct me) that he's complaining for the fact that despite device being under warranty he had to pay twice + device is now dead and he has got no spare (because for Nokia the issue is non existent as usual).
B) Phones come with a warranty (limited or unlimited in some cases) that caters for these cases. If we start blaming users because a phone drops, because he didn't use a case, because he didn't disinfect his fingers before using the display, because he bought a too cheap phone with a poor quality display then we can abolish warranties altogether as there will always be an excuse.
- Phone comes without a case. It is designed to work without that. I can drop and get scratched, marginally damaged etc.
- Phone has keys that, is renowned, users use with a varied degree of strenght. They must be tested for it.
- Display breaks.....let him pay, make half and half
- Phone stops altogether within warranty period. You give me a new one, period. This unless i dipped it in water or dropped it from the Empire State B.

We can't escape warranties because users use their phones or because their phones are cheap. Phones come warranted, cheap or expensive you have to fix/change it. The rest for me is the result of flawed logics and doesn't even help the consumer much.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
All I know is, no phone manufacturer covers dropped phones or broken screens. Regardless of what op thinks or how some of the posters in this thread feel, it's common sense.

corey_blackstock

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever had any Nokia phones BEFORE Windows Phone? It's easy to say they're good when your term of comparison is a Samsung or alike. But for those of us who have been with Nokia long before WP, we notice the constantly dropping standards that happened since 2009 which got ten fold worst once Nokia left and Microsoft was left in charge.
We're not comparing the Lumias to Galaxies or iPhones. Compared to those, the Lumias are rock solid and well build. Compared with older Nokias like the N70, the 6600... Not at all. And I'm not even going to mention the 3310. No Lumia has come remotely close to the indestructibility of the 3310 :p

I have used Nokia phones since 2006 with Nokia N73, 808, Lumia 920 and 1520 and to me, the quality has gone so much better than before. The N73 while a sturdy phone that I used for years, I got more issues with it than with 808 or Lumia. The camera crashed almost everytime I slided the camera cap, the back cover was flimsy and the housing color chipped overtime even with a cover on. Whille 808 and Lumias feels so much better and sturdier.. and FYI, not just me, my whole family are using Nokia since early 2000s with the 3310, 1100, 7610, N95, 6110 Navigator, N8, N9. So I got used to their products since I was a kid :)

vsmh96

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 520, I know its a pretty cheap device to expect it to be rock solid, still... my 4 years old 5233 feels and is more solid than this.
After 1 year of use its dead in my cupboard now. It never acted like a NOKIA PHONE, The very first time it fell on the floor, it molded like clay from the corner, very ugly, I said OK as its plastic after all.

Then its keys lost their position (they were lost somewhere inside the phone just because I was using them), very poor, I took it to nokia care, they replaced the keys, advised me to go easy with them as I was hammering them, charged me as if it was my fault, and I paid, in warranty.

Then after some time, it fell from bed (hardly 2-3 ft. high) and I found a long crack on screen and phone went totally unresponsive. I took it to nokia care again, they charged me more than 1/3rd of the device as it was my fault, and I Paid, in warranty.

Then some days ago the power button again started to loose its grip, and after some days it was all dead for some reason(I still don't know). I saw an error message "No bootable option found, press any key to shut down." First I thought its just a software failure, after all it was running DP, I didn't mind and tried to run nokia software recovery tool. And it failed. I did a little search about the error and found that my phone is toast now. It was frustrating, very frustrating. May be because of some background update or it was just a faulty device. I took it again to the local nokia care and neither could they do anything(expected). Then they said that they can try sending it to head repair center and it will charge me again almost 1/3rd of the device. Now I won't pay, even out of warranty, as its not my fault at all.
It was NOKIA/MS who screwed up something in the background or may be it was nokia who sold me a faulty device or may be 520 is just a crap phone, poor low end. Whatever the reason was, it wasn't a solid enough(even for normal abuse) phone at all. Its also hard to say that it was a faulty device as I was not the only one who had those hardware issues, they're pretty common actually.

What is driving me more mad about nokia now is their support , they're not replying to my mails, not calling me back. Seriously this is what nokia offered me:
In warranty, our fault, you pay.
In warranty, your fault, you pay.
Out of warranty, our fault, you pay.
Sorry nokia, not this time. **** you!
If they don't fix it, I'm seriously gonna go to nokia care again, throw the phone right on someone's face, wont care how many nose bones are cracking. Then I will break the phone down, and then I will dump it in their phone recycle box, so they could stick it up their ***.

Thank you nokia, I'm making the most embarrassing compromise by switching to android because of you.

Hi there as a L520 user ill defend it. I'll try not to frustrate you any further.
I had my L520 stepped on dropped on tar road (have the upper right and lower left corners dented. After that I finally got myself a case (so far the flip case has done a good job protecting it)

As per the warranty - the others have done a pretty good job in explaining

Trust me in buying a budget phone the L520 is (or maybe was) the best you can get at that price for those performance in contrast to other OS and phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion