Seriously doubt nokia's quality now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The 520 is the most popular, best selling Windows Phone for a reason, people love it(and it's cheap). There are probably millions of satisfied 520 users out there in the world happily using their phones without any problems, but here we have this thread where some guy is basically calling it a piece of junk.

I'm going to go ahead with my belief that this is a fantastic little phone, not only because I own one myself and am satisfied with it, but also because this device has a reputation for being good, and everyone knows it. I'm sorry you're having problems with your phone mate.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
The 520 is the most popular, best selling Windows Phone for a reason, people love it(and it's cheap). There are probably millions of satisfied 520 users out there in the world happily using their phones without any problems, but here we have this thread where some guy is basically calling it a piece of junk.

I'm going to go ahead with my belief that this is a fantastic little phone, not only because I own one myself and am satisfied with it, but also because this device has a reputation for being good, and everyone knows it. I'm sorry you're having problems with your phone mate.

Even I loved it, but not anymore.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Dude, difference between old feature phones and smartphones is that smartphones are sort of mini computers with chipsets and everything. And chipsets are fragile. Even a little damage to chipsets can be enough to corrupt your phone. I strongly suggest protective covers for whatever smartphone you buy next. Covers may look ugly, but they provide a cushion to the fall.
About keys, in 52x series, keys are part of shells. You could always change the outer shells or tweak them yourself. I have 525 and it's camera shutter was malfunctioning. My brother tweaked it and it is working alright now.
For powering phone on, my suggestion would be to use double tap to wake up option. It's intuitive and easy.

About Nokia service, I've to agree that it is very bad. I went to Nokia care to buy 525, they took advance for a booking and said to get it next day. Next day never came, they kept delaying it then try to sell me 520 which has 512RAM and basically was a year old at the same price. And in my country, you could only get original Nokia accessories from Nokia Care centers only and they are always short on them. You couldn't buy outer shells, nor could you buy coloud headphones or purity pro headphones.
Suffice to say, I took a refund, bought my 525 from some other retailer and hoped that I never have to go back to Nokia Care center again.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
That's really just my personal opinion. It looks good in photos but in my opinion, the materials are evidently cheap but then again, it's a very affordable phone and I can't complain.

The 620 just feels really nice.

The 520 is a plastic phone with a removable back and glass screen, just like the 620. Neither device feels premium, so I don't agree with you at all that the 620 somehow feels "better".

b0blight

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
But beta programs should not lead your device to death, if they do then why other 520 running DP are not dead yet? And if they don't, then my device must be faulty, then what problem should they have in repairing their faulty set? Are they terrorist?

Dude. When you installed the developers preview you have already agreed to the terms and condition that the software may brick your phone, and it is up to your own risk to install it. Also, since it is bricked, you can fix it by flashing a new rom, and a little research into it wouldn't hurt at all.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Dude. When you installed the developers preview you have already agreed to the terms and condition that the software may brick your phone, and it is up to your own risk to install it. Also, since it is bricked, you can fix it by flashing a new rom, and a little research into it wouldn't hurt at all.
I tried nokia software recovery tool, it didn't help.And its not just bricked, its completely dead, more of a hardware issue, may be chipset or something.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Dude, difference between old feature phones and smartphones is that smartphones are sort of mini computers with chipsets and everything. And chipsets are fragile. Even a little damage to chipsets can be enough to corrupt your phone. I strongly suggest protective covers for whatever smartphone you buy next. Covers may look ugly, but they provide a cushion to the fall.
About keys, in 52x series, keys are part of shells. You could always change the outer shells or tweak them yourself. I have 525 and it's camera shutter was malfunctioning. My brother tweaked it and it is working alright now.
For powering phone on, my suggestion would be to use double tap to wake up option. It's intuitive and easy.

About Nokia service, I've to agree that it is very bad. I went to Nokia care to buy 525, they took advance for a booking and said to get it next day. Next day never came, they kept delaying it then try to sell me 520 which has 512RAM and basically was a year old at the same price. And in my country, you could only get original Nokia accessories from Nokia Care centers only and they are always short on them. You couldn't buy outer shells, nor could you buy coloud headphones or purity pro headphones.
Suffice to say, I took a refund, bought my 525 from some other retailer and hoped that I never have to go back to Nokia Care center again.

Looks like mine one was even more fragile, And my keys were off from inside, I could see a hole there after removing the back cover.
Anyways thanks for the tips.

s2mikey

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
So far, my 520 seems to be a decent phone but I haven't had it very long. I have not dropped it or installed anything I shouldn't have either though. Hmmm..... :smile:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You bought a cheap smartphone and all of a sudden you are doubting nokia's quality? You get what you pay for my friend. And it's actually your fault that you dropped the phone in the first place. Even if it dropped from a small height.a dev preview is nothing like overclocking or getting custom roms on an android. It's a beta, it's experimental software, it even says in the terms and conditions, yes I read some of it, that your phone may be bricked or lose functionality.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
So far, my 520 seems to be a decent phone but I haven't had it very long. I have not dropped it or installed anything I shouldn't have either though. Hmmm..... :smile:
Get a decent cover at least.

You bought a cheap smartphone and all of a sudden you are doubting nokia's quality? You get what you pay for my friend. And it's actually your fault that you dropped the phone in the first place. Even if it dropped from a small height.a dev preview is nothing like overclocking or getting custom roms on an android. It's a beta, it's experimental software, it even says in the terms and conditions, yes I read some of it, that your phone may be bricked or lose functionality.
There was a difference of months when I dropped it and when it went toast. What I want to point is that no other phone will break from this height, still I'm not ranting about it, I know its a cheap phone with glass display, so I paid without an argument that time.
But now when its dead/bricked I have no one but they to blame, because you know its not android, I can't play with kernels and stuff here.

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
On one hand, a time wasting to read thread. OTOH, interesting insights into human nature and ways of perceiving the world.

OP, you are indeed a whiner with unrealistic expectations. This "dropped from only 2 feet" is crap, it's subjective, it's not in the design parameters, and how it lands can make all of the difference. By landing on a corner, all the kinetic energy was, indeed, focused on that one point. Hence, cracked case! Man up, dude!

On the similar Lumia 525, TMO and Metro are dumping them right now. The latter has them for $50 out the door, nothing at all with getting service. Maybe the other carriers are doing similarly. For $50 you get a brand new phone and you don't have to put up with Nokia "Care," don't even get me going on the The World's Best Customer Avoidance.

There are also more and more cell phone repair shops opening around the country, or send it in somewhere. Even little Sarasota, Florida has one. When my Nokia Communicator E90's inner screen went bad, I bought one on eBay for $20, I think, and they installed it for less than $40. There's always a Plan B, and sometimes even C.

One of the greatest insights into my Relative Maturity (I'm, er, old) is that sometimes what we want just isn't attainable. Part B, the world and business is frequently unfair. Your assignment, if you choose to take it, is to figure out your own alternative plan. This tape will self destruct......oh, wait, the internet is forever."

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh, and let me point out something else, OP. Moving to Android isn't exactly an alternative. WP and and Android are OS's, not phones. If you buy a bottom end Android, you will probably be back where you were. If you buy a higher end Android, maybe like the metal cased Lumia 925 is, well, you coulda had a Windows Phone. With Android, you are at the mercies of Samsung, HTC, etc. as to upgrades, etc. I've learned to love WP, my two year old 810 is running 8.1 Upgrade!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I grabbed a 520 when it was on offer for $39.99. My daily is a 920 and the quality is night and day, but then so was the price.

I actually think the 520 would survive more drops than the 920 since it's so light and that the plastic is soft.

Keys being out of alignment does sound like maybe a manufacturing issue, but drops etc. are all in the hand of the owner these days. A cover can help with drops, but at this price I'd just risk it.

Heck, I risk my 920 and thankfully it has survived 5 waist drops with only dents and scratches. Some on concrete. So quality can't be all bad...

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
On one hand, a time wasting to read thread. OTOH, interesting insights into human nature and ways of perceiving the world.

OP, you are indeed a whiner with unrealistic expectations. This "dropped from only 2 feet" is crap, it's subjective, it's not in the design parameters, and how it lands can make all of the difference. By landing on a corner, all the kinetic energy was, indeed, focused on that one point. Hence, cracked case! Man up, dude!

On the similar Lumia 525, TMO and Metro are dumping them right now. The latter has them for $50 out the door, nothing at all with getting service. Maybe the other carriers are doing similarly. For $50 you get a brand new phone and you don't have to put up with Nokia "Care," don't even get me going on the The World's Best Customer Avoidance.

There are also more and more cell phone repair shops opening around the country, or send it in somewhere. Even little Sarasota, Florida has one. When my Nokia Communicator E90's inner screen went bad, I bought one on eBay for $20, I think, and they installed it for less than $40. There's always a Plan B, and sometimes even C.

One of the greatest insights into my Relative Maturity (I'm, er, old) is that sometimes what we want just isn't attainable. Part B, the world and business is frequently unfair. Your assignment, if you choose to take it, is to figure out your own alternative plan. This tape will self destruct......oh, wait, the internet is forever."

Oh, and let me point out something else, OP. Moving to Android isn't exactly an alternative. WP and and Android are OS's, not phones. If you buy a bottom end Android, you will probably be back where you were. If you buy a higher end Android, maybe like the metal cased Lumia 925 is, well, you coulda had a Windows Phone. With Android, you are at the mercies of Samsung, HTC, etc. as to upgrades, etc. I've learned to love WP, my two year old 810 is running 8.1 Upgrade!

Last time I read the warranty, it doesn't cover wear and tear from normal use.

landing on a corner, falling from 2ft and bricking all happened at different time, I'm not blaming anyone else for first two just saying that it resulted in worse than any other phone would do. But the bricking of it made me mad.
And I love WP (you can even expect a game published under my name by the end of this month) but just won't get a nokia for now(they literally ignore your mails, wow!) and as there are no other offerings android is the only option left for me and I'm not excited about it either.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Nokia <> Quality
My 1st Lumia 900 would always activate the voice search for no reason.
My 2nd Lumia 920 had the camera just die for no reason.
My 3rd Lumia 1520.3 has the weird phantom screen tap when I was clearly swiping.

So no Nokia <> Quality IMOP, but they're pretty much the only game in town when it comes to WP on Tmob.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

Sumeet Chawla1

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I dont know about the 520 but my 920 is even the worst now.
1. It will stop playing the music when im listening to songs through my headphones when my phone is in the pocket.
2. It will detect touch even im just hovering my finger, with medium touch sensitivity.
3. No Nokia support for my phone they just said we cant repair our phone because it is out years older.
I SO HATE NOKIA NOW!!

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I grabbed a 520 when it was on offer for $39.99. My daily is a 920 and the quality is night and day, but then so was the price.

I actually think the 520 would survive more drops than the 920 since it's so light and that the plastic is soft.

Keys being out of alignment does sound like maybe a manufacturing issue, but drops etc. are all in the hand of the owner these days. A cover can help with drops, but at this price I'd just risk it.

Heck, I risk my 920 and thankfully it has survived 5 waist drops with only dents and scratches. Some on concrete. So quality can't be all bad...

May be for high end devices, but in my eyes there will always be a doubt that they can go toast any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo