Seriously doubt nokia's quality now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Nokia <> Quality
My 1st Lumia 900 would always activate the voice search for no reason.
My 2nd Lumia 920 had the camera just die for no reason.
My 3rd Lumia 1520.3 has the weird phantom screen tap when I was clearly swiping.

So no Nokia <> Quality IMOP, but they're pretty much the only game in town when it comes to WP on Tmob.
Going for a nokia will be hard for me now.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
"No bootable option found, press any key to shut down" this is all I'm having on my screen, It wont boot anymore. <-- Bricking. Breaking of screen is other issue that happened months ago and its been repaired.

I know things are different. I said Its possible for Phone screen to crack. and gave u an example. Any screen can get scratch and cracks depending on Situation. So i leave it to you to judge if its Faulty phone, or wrong situation that caused it. My Lumia 620 have survived 2 crashes on Concrete, one Throw by my little cousin Kid and still its going smoothly.

About Bricking, i asked How it bricked. While working, or while u restarted, installed some app. Tried something with it? Explain a bit more so its better understandable.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
As an owner of a 1 yr old L520, I'd like to state that I've dropped my phone more than just a couple of times onto tile flooring, concrete, tar road, in the sand pit, even mud once but my phone is working fine, save for a few scratches that are almost unnoticeable...no scratch guards or covers mind you. The only problem I have with the phone is the battery life after upgrading to Cyan....but don't think this thread is the appropriate place to discuss that.
It all depends on the usage, as for falls & drops a certain amount of luck is also involved as damage depends on the height, surface of contact, how it lands, etc.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
About Bricking, i asked How it bricked. While working, or while u restarted, installed some app. Tried something with it? Explain a bit more so its better understandable.
I don't know, I just left it there besides me, started playing a game in my laptop, checked it back and it greeted me with that message.
Otherwise installing the DP and a very often deploying of my unity project (having 70 draw calls at most, very light) were the only things that I was doing different from a very basic user.

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
As an owner of a 1 yr old L520, I'd like to state that I've dropped my phone more than just a couple of times onto tile flooring, concrete, tar road, in the sand pit, even mud once but my phone is working fine, save for a few scratches that are almost unnoticeable...no scratch guards or covers mind you. The only problem I have with the phone is the battery life after upgrading to Cyan....but don't think this thread is the appropriate place to discuss that.
It all depends on the usage, as for falls & drops a certain amount of luck is also involved as damage depends on the height, surface of contact, how it lands, etc.
I must've got a faulty piece then... OMG its so my fault that nokia produced a faulty device!

kaantantr

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
This is getting ridiculous.

1) Any phone can get a crack on its screen when it falls from 2 feet, depending on the angle when it touches the ground.

2) DP automatically burns your warranty. MS warns you when you apply for it that the updates are not official and might harm your phone, even resulting your phone turn into a brick. Thats why official release comes a time after the unofficial DP release.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 520, I know its a pretty cheap device to expect it to be rock solid, still... my 4 years old 5233 feels and is more solid than this.
After 1 year of use its dead in my cupboard now. It never acted like a NOKIA PHONE, The very first time it fell on the floor, it molded like clay from the corner, very ugly, I said OK as its plastic after all.

Then its keys lost their position (they were lost somewhere inside the phone just because I was using them), very poor, I took it to nokia care, they replaced the keys, advised me to go easy with them as I was hammering them, charged me as if it was my fault, and I paid, in warranty.

Then after some time, it fell from bed (hardly 2-3 ft. high) and I found a long crack on screen and phone went totally unresponsive. I took it to nokia care again, they charged me more than 1/3rd of the device as it was my fault, and I Paid, in warranty.

Then some days ago the power button again started to loose its grip, and after some days it was all dead for some reason(I still don't know). I saw an error message "No bootable option found, press any key to shut down." First I thought its just a software failure, after all it was running DP, I didn't mind and tried to run nokia software recovery tool. And it failed. I did a little search about the error and found that my phone is toast now. It was frustrating, very frustrating. May be because of some background update or it was just a faulty device. I took it again to the local nokia care and neither could they do anything(expected). Then they said that they can try sending it to head repair center and it will charge me again almost 1/3rd of the device. Now I won't pay, even out of warranty, as its not my fault at all.
It was NOKIA/MS who screwed up something in the background or may be it was nokia who sold me a faulty device or may be 520 is just a crap phone, poor low end. Whatever the reason was, it wasn't a solid enough(even for normal abuse) phone at all. Its also hard to say that it was a faulty device as I was not the only one who had those hardware issues, they're pretty common actually.

What is driving me more mad about nokia now is their support , they're not replying to my mails, not calling me back. Seriously this is what nokia offered me:
In warranty, our fault, you pay.
In warranty, your fault, you pay.
Out of warranty, our fault, you pay.
Sorry nokia, not this time. **** you!
If they don't fix it, I'm seriously gonna go to nokia care again, throw the phone right on someone's face, wont care how many nose bones are cracking. Then I will break the phone down, and then I will dump it in their phone recycle box, so they could stick it up their ***.

Thank you nokia, I'm making the most embarrassing compromise by switching to android because of you.

Don't be sad. Nokia Taipei never acknowledged any issue on my 1520 (which doesn't come cheap). Sensitive screen was non existent for them. White spots on top of the display (1 first, 3 after, now 5 and 1 small coming up) is again something non existent.
It's Nokia style. It's a company abandoned to itself. They are not really in control.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I never bought into the Nokia build quality like so many fans rave about. My first 928 had to be returned due to bad hardware, and I am on my third Lumia Icon because of bad hardware. That's more than a coincidence.

kaantantr

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I never bought into the Nokia build quality like so many fans rave about. My first 928 had to be returned due to bad hardware, and I am on my third Lumia Icon because of bad hardware. That's more than a coincidence.

Still using the same 928 I bought a year ago. It survived a 2 meter fall to solid marble floor.

Since Im a skier and take my phone along everytime to training, it also survived more than regular cold (-25 to -30degrees Celsius), the hits it got everytime a gate hit my chest where I keep my phone and me falling over it during training.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Pretty clear the OP has a real cheap phone, but his point on a larger scale is very valid IMO. Nokia's quality control has seemingly taken a backseat in the past few years it is gradually getting worse. Back in the day Nokia phones were practically bullet proof and would last for years. Quality was top shelf and may be one reason they ruled the roost for so long. Their complacency in that regard is topic for another thread. Case in point, look at the 930. The GSM brother to the Icon. Who hasn't seen complaint after complaint of color hued screen issues on whites. There are many more. The icon itself, squishy backside aside is not immune to many software complaints. I'm glad HTC has offered another option in the windows phone selection. I have the M8 as well as an icon. I thought my icon was pretty well made until I got the M8 up and running. This phone is made with the solidness Nokia used to have back in the day. Its a good thing MS took over Nokia because they were going down to fail on their flimsy build quality alone eventually. We as consumers shell out a lot of bucks for these things the least we can expect is decent quality in the construction. Then move to the software issues. I hope HTC gets back into the game more as their devices are better made than Nokia IMO.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Pretty clear the OP has a real cheap phone, but his point on a larger scale is very valid IMO. Nokia's quality control has seemingly taken a backseat in the past few years it is gradually getting worse. Back in the day Nokia phones were practically bullet proof and would last for years. Quality was top shelf and may be one reason they ruled the roost for so long. Their complacency in that regard is topic for another thread. Case in point, look at the 930. The GSM brother to the Icon. Who hasn't seen complaint after complaint of color hued screen issues on whites. There are many more. The icon itself, squishy backside aside is not immune to many software complaints. I'm glad HTC has offered another option in the windows phone selection. I have the M8 as well as an icon. I thought my icon was pretty well made until I got the M8 up and running. This phone is made with the solidness Nokia used to have back in the day. Its a good thing MS took over Nokia because they were going down to fail on their flimsy build quality alone eventually. We as consumers shell out a lot of bucks for these things the least we can expect is decent quality in the construction. Then move to the software issues. I hope HTC gets back into the game more as their devices are better made than Nokia IMO.

The L520 is kinda bulletproof, based on news articles at the very least - L520 saves officer's life. But comparing the Lumia lineup to the older models is not fair as there's a lot more inside the phones now than there was in the older models (More ingredients = Greater chances for something to go amiss) & also with glass covering the entire face of the device.

For comparison purposes, take models in the same price range, like say the Moto E & L520 to test out their durability (if its already been done, link me a video please), since that seems to be the point of discussion here.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Nokia stopped representing quality and reliability over a decade ago when they started pumping out fashion-oriented mobile phones every couple of months. At the alarming rate with which they introduce new Lumias it doesn't seem like things have changed. It's difficult to ensure quality when you're managing a wide range of products and on this aggressive product cycle.

Still, take this with a grain of salt, because reliability issues with smartphones seems to be a common problem. iPhones and Android devices aren't immune from issues. I think it's a pervasive issue with the industry where form is constantly placed ahead of function and there's overwhelming pressure to release something dramatically new with each generation.

AlfaTango17

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
The WP is bad enough.. Yet the phone itself can't survive a day without having a fault. Can't wait to change OS..

Sent from my M8 using Tapatalk

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I must've got a faulty piece then... OMG its so my fault that nokia produced a faulty device!

Gwasshoppa: You need to man up here. This is a manufactured device. Millions are made, and some will be defective, sooner or later. Some never will be. And that's before you even drop it! And to presume that it "shouldn't" do whatever because you say so? Arrogance.

My friend The Buddha has observed that all suffering is because you are attached to something external.

Jeez, buy another one for $50! Here's another observation from The Buddha: "It costsmoney to participate in today's electronic society. Deal with it or buy a telegraph and Brownie camera."

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
girishN. Stop moaning.

You damage your phone by dropping it and you expect repairs to be covered by warranty????
You upgrade to a not-officially-released OS and it stops working. You expect repairs to be covered by warranty?

Don't blame the phone. Don't blame the phone manufacturer. Blame the user.

Get real. Oh, and I suggest you learn what warranties are for. Try reading.

I suggest you read a few warranties as well but you might need to speak Spanish in this case. Warranty terms vary from country to country and it is just as foolish to spout off about warranties as if they are the same everywhere as it is to assume someone will replace a dropped phone. The OP may be in error or may be justifiably annoyed at having a poorly made device - not touching that subject. Speaking about "warranties" as there is some universal standard is just as ill informed.

Miguel Correia

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I wonder how do you use your phone. lol. Anyway you will be back to Nokia as soon as you understand that low a budget Nokia lumia has no comparison with a low budget Android. Nokia has much more quality it always had. I remember back in the days of 3310 those phones were solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99