09-13-2014 05:06 PM
66 123
tools
    Ok, we'll play by your rules. What says you about Palm? Not iconic enough considering that PDAs are commonly known as Palm Pilots? Plenty of mismanagement there.
    Sent from a Fire Engine Red Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk
    Where are PDA's known as "Palm Pilots"? Because I never ever heard anyone refer to them as that. Back when PDA's where a thing, everyone called them PDA's. Perhaps that didn't happen in the US. At any rate, again, not nearly as popular or strong as "Nokia". "Blackberry" is perhaps a better example. They too have been poorly managed.
    09-11-2014 02:20 PM
    Where are PDA's known as "Palm Pilots"? Because I never ever heard anyone refer to them as that. Back when PDA's where a thing, everyone called them PDA's. Perhaps that didn't happen in the US. At any rate, again, not nearly as popular or strong as "Nokia". "Blackberry" is perhaps a better example. They too have been poorly managed.
    Their time has long passed. But "PalmPilot" was a commonly used generic term, believe me.
    Heck, my dad uses it.
    It was popular enough to be put up there (acquiring Handspring and doing the Treo's, first success post-Newton, etc.)

I've heard it before and know its used a lot more than "PocketPC," "palmOne Tungsten," etc.
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    09-11-2014 02:33 PM
    So just because you never heard the term it's not fact. I see, it's your world and I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut.
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-11-2014 05:34 PM
    So just because you never heard the term it's not fact. I see, it's your world and I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut.
    I've been around for a while and never ever ever did I hear ANYONE call PDA's "Palm Pilots". And I'm pretty sure if we ran a poll on the matter, you'd notice that just because Americans referred to something a certain way, doesn't mean the rest of the World does too.

And I'll even give you a reason for that to happen: PDA's where practically nowhere to be seen in Europe until the XXI century. If I recall correctly, the first PDA's came out late 90's. In those times, the mobile phone landscape in Europe was basically divided into two companies: Nokia and Motorola. There were also other OEMs around like Ericsson (before Sony) and Alcatel (before Alcatel-Lucent) but they both commanded very little of the market with Nokia increasingly crushing everyone else including Motorola.
    So you should not be surprised that no one talks about PDA's as "Palm Pilots" outside the USA.
    09-11-2014 09:47 PM
    You win.
    09-11-2014 10:11 PM
    you gave up mr fatclue.
    actually the intention of this thread was not this. I wanted to dig deep into the economics in it. But insofar i got to learn so many new things. Thanking you all.
    09-12-2014 11:04 AM
    The purpose of a discussion is to have a dialogue. When one of the participants refuses to accept the input of not one, but two, others it becomes an exercise in futility.
    09-12-2014 03:14 PM
    It also doesn't help when one of the participants is arrogant to the point of believing that the US represents the entire World and that if something is used in the US then it *must* be popular and it *must* be used around the World.
    Even though he's given a thorough explanation for the facts.

So it's useless, yes. Facts win.
    09-13-2014 09:30 AM
    Arrogance is assuming that (A) I'm American and (B) I've never been outside the U.S.

(A) I'm Cuban
    (B) Lucky enough to have been able to travel to other places and experience other people and cultures.

You're right though, facts do win.
    09-13-2014 09:41 AM
    "Location: Miami, FL.
    Carrier: AT&T"

Sure, you're not American. You're clearly Japanese.
    With all due respect, you may have been born in Cuba, you may have travelled to outside the US. But that doesn't change the culture in which you are immersed in. And if you're living in the US, you are most likely now an American citizen. That makes you American (unless you only believe in the criteria of ius sanguini aka blood right to determine the nationality of an individual.)

I've given you facts to oppose your claim that "PDAs are commonly known as Palm Pilots". No, they are not. They may be in the US. Sure. I don't know, I don't live in the US and I've not lived there in the 90's for sure. I never questioned that in the US people may call PDA's that. Except the US is not the World.
    But outside the US they are not. And I explained you why they're not known as that in Europe. You just don't accept that.
    If you still don't believe the facts, next time you come to Europe, try and ask people about "Palm Pilots". You'll see what happens.
    09-13-2014 09:55 AM
    Miami is a foreign country that accepts American currency 😉 and until someone tells me otherwise, Gringos don't eat arroz con frijoles. I do love me some Dunkin Donuts coffee (that's another thread) and yes, I am a US citizen.

That doesn't change the fact that you don't want to recognize the fact that your circle may not be diverse enough or old enough to have been in meeting rooms where PDAs were ubiquitous. As xandros reminded me, PocketPC was another popular term used to describe PDAs.
    09-13-2014 10:08 AM
    Well I know this is not contributing much to what the OP originally asked for but just to add something to the discussion, I agree to what DJCBS and xandros have posted, the PDAs were called Pocket PCs (see what i did there?) in India. I've never heard anyone calling it a PalmPilot, may be that was a US only thing? May be because PalmPilots were so famous in the US, people started calling all PDAs/Pocket PCs as PalmPilot (similarly to how majority of less tech savvy folks still call a MP3 player as an iPod)?
    fatclue_98 and DJCBS like this.
    09-13-2014 10:14 AM
    Miami is a foreign country that accepts American currency �� and until someone tells me otherwise, Gringos don't eat arroz con frijoles. I do love me some Dunkin Donuts coffee (that's another thread) and yes, I am a US citizen.

That doesn't change the fact that you don't want to recognize the fact that your circle may not be diverse enough or old enough to have been in meeting rooms where PDAs were ubiquitous. As xandros reminded me, PocketPC was another popular term used to describe PDAs.
    LOL Just don't tell that to the Congress (well, theoretically all US states could be independent. Though only Texas could sustain itself in case of independence.)

See, I didn't object that people could call PDA's "Palm Pilots". What I objected was your generalization when my experience in Europe, North Africa and South America is that no one called them that. It's really not a "my circle". My circle never even used PDA's. We went from Nokia's "dumbphones" to post-iPhone smartphones (this was when a lot of my friends left Nokia but I stubbornly remained =P)
    However I did travel a lot, I did use a lot of mobile phones (remember those that had a monstrous case attached to them?) and never ever have I hear anyone or seen in any place mention to "Palm Pilots". Not even my late father, who was an IBM and then Microsoft employee, called them "Palm Pilots".
    I even told you why that could happen in Europe. So while I don't dispute that Americans may be accustomed to call them "Palm Pilots" (like you and xandros9), I do dispute that it was "commonly known". If you had added "commonly known in the US", I would never had disputed that. ;)
    09-13-2014 01:44 PM
    LOL Just don't tell that to the Congress (well, theoretically all US states could be independent. Though only Texas could sustain itself in case of independence.)

See, I didn't object that people could call PDA's "Palm Pilots". What I objected was your generalization when my experience in Europe, North Africa and South America is that no one called them that. It's really not a "my circle". My circle never even used PDA's. We went from Nokia's "dumbphones" to post-iPhone smartphones (this was when a lot of my friends left Nokia but I stubbornly remained =P)
    However I did travel a lot, I did use a lot of mobile phones (remember those that had a monstrous case attached to them?) and never ever have I hear anyone or seen in any place mention to "Palm Pilots". Not even my late father, who was an IBM and then Microsoft employee, called them "Palm Pilots".
    I even told you why that could happen in Europe. So while I don't dispute that Americans may be accustomed to call them "Palm Pilots" (like you and xandros9), I do dispute that it was "commonly known". If you had added "commonly known in the US", I would never had disputed that. ;)

Back in the late 90s to mid 00s, cigarette companies sent reps to bars giving out free packs of cigarettes. The reps really did have Palm Pilots. They had the customer sign his or her name using the stylus after collecting the customer's information.
    Guytronic, xandros9 and DJCBS like this.
    09-13-2014 01:53 PM
    Back in the late 90s to mid 00s, cigarette companies sent reps to bars giving out free packs of cigarettes. The reps really did have Palm Pilots. They had the customer sign his or her name using the stylus after collecting the customer's information.

Were you one of those cute little barflies? C'mon, you can tell us.
    Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    09-13-2014 04:42 PM
    Were you one of those cute little barflies? C'mon, you can tell us.

I actually knew a Philip Morris rep. He was a neighbour who lived in the same apartment building as one of my friends. I don't remember his name, nor does my friend. We just referred to him as "cigarette guy".
    Guytronic likes this.
    09-13-2014 05:06 PM
66 123