Nokia 525 Cyan upgrade language issues

kingdondee

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
My grey import from Hong Kong <1yo is identical to Lumia 520 but double the RAM. Came with 2013 firmware and I fitted Telstra Australia SIM. Managed to switch from Chinese to English OK and phone then very good. (But Telstra does not recognize it as a supported phone and does not provide software updates.)
Last week I removed memory card, totally reset the phone and did Nokia supported upgrade to Cyan. It immediately defaulted back to Chinese welcome screen. Managed to reset the phone language to English (Australian) again and region to Australia.
Phone now works fine with all new Cyan features, but virtual keyboards for emails, messaging, search etc have been replaced with stylus text recognition screens with Chinese controls, so nearly unusable.
Can't find any tools in setup to fix this problem. (Maybe I should have removed SIM as well as memory during reset?)
Definitely a warning bell for novices considering grey imports of unsupported models.

kingdondee

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
With help from Nokia.com/discussions I found out that deleting the 5 Chinese keyboard installed by default allowed the one English keyboard I had installed to prevail. Problem now fixed! Tks to those who helped.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos