Brand new 520 with 8.1 and Cyan

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Now I'm not sure if this is normal, but I've just bought a brand new Nokia 520 from Carphone Warehouse in the UK and it came preloaded with 8.1 and Cyan. Now as this phone has been out for so long I expected it to be on 8.0 and much older firmware.

How would this have been the case? It certainly doesn't look like the phone has been used before so I can only presume it's been preloaded at some point. Not that I'm complaining, saved me hours of updating, I just found it a bit odd as there are only a few of the most recent phones that come with it all preloaded.

aikidaves

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Some electronics vendors run diagnostics and/or flash current software levels onto things like phones and tablets before shipping, to weed out some of the early life failures and improve customer satisfaction. That could be what happened in your case.

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Looks like I must have got lucky then. I'm very impressed how well 8.1 runs on it. I only bought it as a backup phone to use when I'm running or on my bike, but I'm almost tempted to use it instead of my 920 because of how small and light it is.

s2mikey

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Looks like I must have got lucky then. I'm very impressed how well 8.1 runs on it. I only bought it as a backup phone to use when I'm running or on my bike, but I'm almost tempted to use it instead of my 920 because of how small and light it is.

Yeah - the 520 is a beauty. Its a rare occasion when the lower-end model of a lineup is so damned good - just as good as the big dawgs.

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Yeah - the 520 is a beauty. Its a rare occasion when the lower-end model of a lineup is so damned good - just as good as the big dawgs.
It definitely goes to show how good an OS Windows Phone is when it can run just as fluidly on a much lower spec phone. If it wasn't for the fact my 920 is such a great phone I'd definitely look at the lower end models if I needed to buy a new one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs