Why I will not be buying a WIndows phone next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Because GMaps are found on more devices because of simple numbers doesn't make it the better app. If Here Maps is found to be better for usage depends on where it's used then that's that case closed. Just as there are IOS,ANDROID AND WP die-hard users they all have their preferences. So in the end NO particular user base can say that one app is better than the other especially when the person you're talking to have used both and found one to be to their liking more than the other.

if you assume I meant google maps was better, youve missed the point that BOTH google maps and heremaps are very limited, very brief introductions into what is possible.
this has nothing to do with the install base.

andrygun

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Yup.. Iphone 6 is indeed much better than lumia 520.

Regarding the maps, I used google maps for 5 years and it was superb. The only thing better for Here is the offline capability. Im in Australia 😊

For eg, you can simply type a shop in google maps and it will navigate you there.. While in Here, you might not find the shop in the map, then you google it (irony), then get the address and put it in Here.

Just my 2 cents

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Since they're using the ? sign it's an indication they're in the UK, which means unless they own a L730/5 L830, L930 or running DP they don't have Cortana.

So though it's a great feature there are many who don't know about 'Cortana's' features because they don't have it.

I recognized that the OP is from the UK, but I also know that lots of folks are running the Developer Preview and using Cortana. With just a few minutes of research he could be one of them. I thought my link might be the helpful hint to start him on his quest. :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I recognized that the OP is from the UK, but I also know that lots of folks are running the Developer Preview and using Cortana. With just a few minutes of research he could be one of them. I thought my link might be the helpful hint to start him on his quest. :)

I think if they had Cortana they might have mentioned it. Also there's many who don't want DP or are scared to get it for whatever reason.

I agree people should research prior to posting things on this forum but this place is a bit of dumping ground and when people are upset they tend to use this places as their soapbox. :p

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I understand OP is frustrated, and if he wants to switch to a different smartphone platform, then he should. It's not my job to try to make everyone like Windows Phone, nor do I get upset if it isn't a perfect fit for someone and they'd prefer to switch to Android or iOS. Release that it is frustrating for us who do like WP that circumstances have made it that the exact feature that he finds lacking is available, but not to everyone due to regional restrictions of Cortana, and of course, the carrier's inability or unwillingness to update in a timely manner.

Furthermore, as LaRue said, people only come in here to rant when they have issues, whether a major problem or a minor annoyance, it's the same level of reaction for most people. What sucks is that credit is never given for the things that Microsoft does as well as, or much better than competing smartphones. Last night, a friend texted me to say that we have a gig on Dec 13 from 5 to 11. 5 to 11 was underlined, I was able to tap that, and it was ready to add to my calendar. The time, date, location and subject were automatically filled with information from the SMS message. I don't know if Android or iOS have this same feature, but it was amazing! It's literally the easiest way to add an event to your calendar that there is. Two taps of the screen and it's added. I cannot recall when this ability was added to Windows Phone, but I use it a lot, and it blows my mind every time.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Yup.. Iphone 6 is indeed much better than lumia 520.

Regarding the maps, I used google maps for 5 years and it was superb. The only thing better for Here is the offline capability. Im in Australia 😊

For eg, you can simply type a shop in google maps and it will navigate you there.. While in Here, you might not find the shop in the map, then you google it (irony), then get the address and put it in Here.

Just my 2 cents

if I'm navIgating to a shop, online is fine. for most rides/hiking, here and Google are useless. let's think of them as "urban helpers" instead of mapping apps.

:thumbup:

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
1. Here map/drive are way better than Google maps!
2. Have you ever heard of Cortana and Quiet Hours?

I sometimes feel folks just want to pass their time by ranting WP for no reasons😃

While I think the OPs position is rather silly, I think the actual award for "what could you possibly be thinking" would go to anyone who would say Here Drive is better than any mapping product. In my experience, it gives the iPhone maps app a run for its money as the most embarrassing. It doesn't matter where I go, most directions will eventually devolve into some version of they are so bad they are funny. Most recent was calling it up while heading to the late FedEx depot near the El Paso Airport. Following Here Drive directions literally adds 25 minutes onto the drive because the system has not been updated to recognize the direct road that goes to the location (been there for quite awhile).

Most laughable though were those to get to a scenic overlook in the Franklin Mountain in El Paso. Some day I will record the route and post. To make a long story short, the Here Drive directions instruct you to take the Cotton Rd exit off I-10, proceed straight for a half mile and then turn right. The off ramp is not a half mile long (barely 250 yards) and then ends at an intersection where you can only turn left. If you were to try turning right, you would hit (in order): a substantial fence, the Southern Pacific Railroad, another substantial fence, the Rio Grande, and the Mexican border.

I was hoping that the Here Drive fiasco of bad directions was limited to the Phoenix metro area, but the directions seem equally bad wherever I go in the west. Whether it be my phone telling me to make a U turn for literally a third of the drive between Scottsdale and Payson, AZ because it insisted the fastest way to get from Phoenix to Alamosa CO was the longest via I-17 and Flagstaff (by any measure longest and slowest); or directing me onto a road in El Paso that goes to a Fort Bliss gate (was not going to Fort Bliss); or failing to understand that the only thing to the right off a ramp is Mexico; it is a just a bad joke. In my experience its only value is for amusement.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
While I think the OPs position is rather silly, I think the actual award for "what could you possibly be thinking" would go to anyone who would say Here Drive is better than any mapping product. In my experience, it gives the iPhone maps app a run for its money as the most embarrassing. It doesn't matter where I go, most directions will eventually devolve into some version of they are so bad they are funny. Most recent was calling it up while heading to the late FedEx depot near the El Paso Airport. Following Here Drive directions literally adds 25 minutes onto the drive because the system has not been updated to recognize the direct road that goes to the location (been there for quite awhile).

Most laughable though were those to get to a scenic overlook in the Franklin Mountain in El Paso. Some day I will record the route and post. To make a long story short, the Here Drive directions instruct you to take the Cotton Rd exit off I-10, proceed straight for a half mile and then turn right. The off ramp is not a half mile long (barely 250 yards) and then ends at an intersection where you can only turn left. If you were to try turning right, you would hit (in order): a substantial fence, the Southern Pacific Railroad, another substantial fence, the Rio Grande, and the Mexican border.

I was hoping that the Here Drive fiasco of bad directions was limited to the Phoenix metro area, but the directions seem equally bad wherever I go in the west. Whether it be my phone telling me to make a U turn for literally a third of the drive between Scottsdale and Payson, AZ because it insisted the fastest way to get from Phoenix to Alamosa CO was the longest via I-17 and Flagstaff (by any measure longest and slowest); or directing me onto a road in El Paso that goes to a Fort Bliss gate (was not going to Fort Bliss); or failing to understand that the only thing to the right off a ramp is Mexico; it is a just a bad joke. In my experience its only value is for amusement.

Well, as I said in my earlier posts, its working absolutely better than google maps and I am not gonna change my thoughts just because you had a not so good experience with Here maps. It depends upon region to region and in my region I personally found it the best navigation app.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Just checked that from the store also, as i have cortana only because of quiet hours. I would like to use my own region.

I had that app when it came out. Pretty useless for anyone who has vibration on, like most do I guess. It's nice to wake up to that sound, what comes when your phone vibrates on the table.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
When I moved from an iPhone to Windows Phone this was very annoying.

Hopefully your mobile provider (O2 etc) will push out the Windows 8.1 update as that includes Quiet Hours which does exactly what you want as well as making your phone better in many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion