Bought Lumia 520 during amazon 20$ sale. Now what...?

cammykool

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Long time android user I bought the lumia 520 during the 20$ amazon sale. And I'm just wondering. Now what? What is there cool to do on WP8.1? I've never touched windows phone before today and it seems nice but I just don't know much about it. Is there the equivalent of root? Or ROMS? Stuff like that. Are there anything I should know? I just kinda jumped in head first.

mskoch123

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Have you done all the updates? I got one as well and took 4 updates before it's all done. Don't know if the 520 will ever get Denim though. Don't know about rooting; I've been playing with Cortana (been curious since I saw the TV commercials).

Last edited:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Do the updates and settle in. If you have local Wi Fi, download a few apps and see what you think. You can do all these things without having to activate the phone. I've used WP's since the beginning, taking time off for a jaunt into android land, but always come back. It's smooth, easy to navigate and fit's into the Microsoft world quite nicely.

Report back with any concerns or questions. We will do our best to make your experience smooth and enjoyable.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well I'd certainly update the system, update all the apps, install some, and poke through the settings. there isn't root (WP8 has proven a tough nut to crack - although a jailbreak has appeared on Samsung ATIV devices at one point)
It syncs well with Windows 8.x IE and stuff. Using OneDrive would be beneficial as its the default location for automatic media uploads and it's the best integrated into Windows Phone.
The start screen is where a lot of things can go, you can pin documents from Office, individuals from people, apps of course, etc. Those can be resized is you desire. I think there's a thread on peoples start screens somewhere.

I highly recommend enrolling in the free Preview for Developers, which is an early update/enthusiast/developer/beta test which I'm sure you'd appreciate.

eseerc

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Long time android user I bought the lumia 520 during the 20$ amazon sale. And I'm just wondering. Now what? What is there cool to do on WP8.1? I've never touched windows phone before today and it seems nice but I just don't know much about it. Is there the equivalent of root? Or ROMS? Stuff like that. Are there anything I should know? I just kinda jumped in head first.

Oddly, I'm in the exact same boat (although I am currently an Apple guy). I updated the OS as much as it would go (cyan I believe?) and have been toying with the device some. Overall, I am pretty impressed on the functionality of the phone given its cost.

I purchased this phone because I am considering switching all of my "tech" back to Microsoft if Windows 10 ends up looking as promising as it sounds. I figure this phone would be a nice & cheap introduction to the WP OS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon