Will my Lumia 520 be updated to Windows 10?

sam17ub

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Unless you have a legitimate link where Microsoft says this, your observations mean squat.

My observation is actually more well researched and thought-out than the people on here saying "ALL WP8 devices can get Windows 10 through Developer Preview" -- Microsoft NEVER said that.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm not Microsoft insider, but I say this based on a few observations.

Firstly, there's the fact that Microsoft says only "modern" Lumias will receive the Windows 10 ugprade. Why didn't they simply say WP8/8.1 devices will get it? That's because the phones that came out in 2012 like Lumia 920/820/520 etc are not considered "modern".

Secondly, Microsoft originally said when releasing Lumia x2x devices that they'll receive 18 months of support. The 18 months period included WP 8.1 -- hence those updates were provided. But Windows 10 will come out 36 months after those phones were released. It's clearly outside the supported timespan.

Thirdly, their latest blog clearly says not all WP8 Lumias will be upgradable.

Fourthly, the only phonse missing in the January 21st conference are the older x2x Lumias. Other than these all other phones were seen running Windows 10.

Put these things together, and it's easy to conclude why the x2x series won't receive the upgrade. Even through the Developer Preview they won't be upgradable.

So u just made ur assumptions and is trying to convince everyone that's the truth when there is no real proof?
And u clearly didn't read the news back in the day when they talked about18 months support.
They said once a major update is delivered the 18month clock gets reset for another 18months. So with Wp 8.1 the clock was reset.
Also as I said above modern WP meaning all WP 8 and later lumias since WP 7 lumias are considered the older lumias.
Plus all MS official statmemts leading to event said all Lumias running WP 8 or higher are upgradable and even in the event they said the same so please stop spreading false info....

Asik15

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
My observation is actually more well researched and thought-out than the people on here saying "ALL WP8 devices can get Windows 10 through Developer Preview" -- Microsoft NEVER said that.

Modern Meant to Windows phone 8 Devices not x20 or x30 series or whatever ...

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

LOL Of cource your research is more "well researched". LOL.
Microsoft just forget to clearly say that about 75 % of the current Luminas will not get windows 10.

Asik15

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
LOL Of cource your research is more "well researched". LOL.
Microsoft just forget to clearly say that about 75 % of the current Luminas will not get windows 10.

Lol ... :D Man you are right!!! More than 50 % of lumias are from x20 Series i guess !!!

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not Microsoft insider, but I say this based on a few observations.

Firstly, there's the fact that Microsoft says only "modern" Lumias will receive the Windows 10 ugprade. Why didn't they simply say WP8/8.1 devices will get it? That's because the phones that came out in 2012 like Lumia 920/820/520 etc are not considered "modern".

Secondly, Microsoft originally said when releasing Lumia x2x devices that they'll receive 18 months of support. The 18 months period included WP 8.1 -- hence those updates were provided. But Windows 10 will come out 36 months after those phones were released. It's clearly outside the supported timespan.

Thirdly, their latest blog clearly says not all WP8 Lumias will be upgradable.

Fourthly, the only phonse missing in the January 21st conference are the older x2x Lumias. Other than these all other phones were seen running Windows 10.

Put these things together, and it's easy to conclude why the x2x series won't receive the upgrade. Even through the Developer Preview they won't be upgradable.

All windows phone are eligible for the w10 update, but that doesn't mean that people wont be screwed over by the carriers and not get the update. MSFT will offer the update but the final word goes to the OEMs and carriers. Think about Lumia icon and Verizon (I feel sorry for the crappy service it offer to our friends).

The Lumia x20 series isn't that old, for not being able to get most of the features.

sam17ub

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you don't believe what I said just wait till February when the Windows 10 technical preview comes out for phones. I'm pretty sure old Lumia x2x devices won't be upgradable, even through Insider program. Only then will you believe my words.

Asik15

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you don't believe what I said just wait till February when the Windows 10 technical preview comes out for phones. I'm pretty sure old Lumia x2x devices won't be upgradable, even through Insider program. Only then will you believe my words.

Same Goes for you bro ... lets wait and see You are like your assumptions are more accurate than the big blogs !!!! well lets see

viswanathansri

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Lol ... :D Man you are right!!! More than 50 % of lumias are from x20 Series i guess !!!
Lol bro , but I think you forgot that when WP8 was released , 100% of Lumias were WP7 ... Microsoft didnt hesitate and said "Fu*k off WP7 users" ... It wouldnt hesitate to do it now as well ... Microsoft was intentionally equivocal with its statement !!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Or you will belief use.

Asik15

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Lol bro , but I think you forgot that when WP8 was released , 100% of Lumias were WP7 ... Microsoft didnt hesitate and said "Fu*k off WP7 users" ... It wouldnt hesitate to do it now as well ... Microsoft was intentionally equivocal with its statement !!

at that times the story where entirely different a whole kernel change which caused that.... but now the case is windows 10 requires a same kernel as wp8 .. :)

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Lot of strange assumptions being made here. If the upgrade is not offered to everyone, I seriously doubt it will be based on what the second digit of your phone is. It would be based on specs. For example, perhaps 512MB devices can't handle the whole update. I would be absolutely shocked if the 920 didn't get it.

SammyD97

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site

Jean-Baptiste Lamarck's observations were also well researched. To quote an old textbook of mine:
"Lamarck is included in the study of evolution because he was meticulous in recording observations, gathering information and analyzing his data about many living organisms. His method of scientific enquiry was excellent." It didn't make him right.

ajaya p

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
If mark logically all windows phone 8 only single small jump to windows phone 8.1 . So I guess all windows phone 8 upgradable to windows 10.

ajaya p

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
In this stage no have any windows phone to overtake with Lumia 520 population. If windows 10 not released for low end phones. Microsoft lost her most popular and selling Lumia 520.

Last edited:

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
In this stage no have any windows phone to overtake with Lumia 520 population. If windows 10 not released for low end phones. Microsoft lost her most popular and selling Lumia 520.

Because the phones will suddenly stop working. /s

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that majority of those 520 users and low end device users in general either won't know or won't care about upgrading to Windows Phone 10 as long as they can continue to use their phone as they've always have. There are likely more Android devices out there the will never see 5.0 then all the Windows Phone devices put together.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Because the phones will suddenly stop working. /s

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that majority of those 520 users and low end device users in general either won't know or won't care about upgrading to Windows Phone 10 as long as they can continue to use their phone as they've always have. There are likely more Android devices out there the will never see 5.0 then all the Windows Phone devices put together.

​They point is that they said a majority. The 520 makes up 1/4 of devices in use for WP.

RickyZhang

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hope it does,i really want to try the Win10 preview on my old 520 before install it on my 730,im glad that ms learns from their mistakes,lumia world,i guess they try to draw our attension and get clicks from their false posts,only trust WC for windows news :)

This picture of lumia520 is so nice, where did you get it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99