Lumia 520 doesn't detect Adhoc network from Laptop

Caramelrocks

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
Im trying to share the internet connection from my laptop to use the internet on my Lumia 520 phone.

I've just setup an ad-hoc connection in Windows Vista, then turned on my Nokia Lumia 520, but when I go to the Wi-Fi option on my phone settings, the network doesn't appear on the list of Wi-Fi networks.

I even put my phone close to my laptop, but even then the network doesn't appear on the list of Wi-Fi networks. I know that my laptop's ad-hoc is functioning correctly because when I use a laptop which is in another room, the laptop connects to the ad-hoc network okay and can access the internet.

What could be the reason why another laptop can see and connect to the ad-hoc network, but my Lumia 520 phone doesn't?

Caramelrocks

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
There are two frequency band of Wifi signals.
1. 5 Ghz
2. 2.4 Ghz

When you enable Laptop's ad hoc it is working on 5Ghz band. But your Lumia can only receive 2.4 Ghz frequency. Hence it is not found in wifi setting of phone.

You can read whole story here.

Thanks for the info.

So does this essentially mean that I can't share my laptop's internet connection to my Lumia 520 phone?

I don't have a router because on my laptop im using mobile broadband via a USB dongle. Does this mean that it's not possible to share the internet to my Lumia 520 unless I have an external router?

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
It's not about wifi freq IMO, we dont have 5GHz freq here only 2.4GHz and it still doesnt work. WP, just like Android and iOS, simply cant detect adhoc (peer to peer) connection and need WiFi set as AP (access point) for hotspot, its not supported in the OS. I recommend using Connectify (or Virtual Router as free alternative if it works for you) to make an AP Hotspot from your laptop. PC OS however can connect to both adhoc and AP connection.

Caramelrocks

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
It's not about wifi freq IMO, we dont have 5GHz freq here only 2.4GHz and it still doesnt work. WP, just like Android and iOS, simply cant detect adhoc (peer to peer) connection and need WiFi set as AP (access point) for hotspot, its not supported in the OS. I recommend using Connectify (or Virtual Router as free alternative if it works for you) to make an AP Hotspot from your laptop. PC OS however can connect to both adhoc and AP connection.

Unfortunately, it seems that none of those apps are compatible with Vista, which is the OS my laptop has.

Are Connectify and Virtual Router the only apps which can set WiFi as AP (access point)?

noersetiawan

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, it seems that none of those apps are compatible with Vista, which is the OS my laptop has.

Are Connectify and Virtual Router the only apps which can set WiFi as AP (access point)?

I'm not sure, those 2 are the most popular. You can try mHotspot, I don't know any other alternative since my laptop works nicely with Connectify, or you can try the manual way, the tutorial is for Windows 8 but its worth a try, or you can find similiar tutorial for Vista on the web.

Wish you luck, cheers.

umangpop777

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply.

As you mentioned above. You have USB Dongle connection.
So you can use the 3G/4G Routers like
TP-Link TL-MR 3020/3220/3420
D-LINK DWR-113/116

Even i use the same type of connection.
3G dongle --> Wi-Fi --> all my devices

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos